Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    You guys should really consider reading/watching the actual KATU news report instead of Breitbart's ridiculous interpretation of the events

Source: The News

SANDY, Ore. (KATU) - A Sandy High School student has been suspended and will miss playing in his homecoming football game, because of a homemade electronic device he brought to school.

To many it looked like a bomb, but to Levi Frunk and his family it was just the latest creation from a very smart 15-year-old.

In reality the device was a homemade charger he used to charge his phone. He took it to Sandy High School and left it out in a locker room to charge his phone during weight training.

His coach saw it and called security. He started evacuating the area.

Frunk quickly cleared up the confusion, but the damage was done. He was suspended for a day and a half.

“I’m a little upset I can’t play in my game tomorrow, but it was pretty fair,” he said.

In hindsight he admitted it was a bad idea and that to many people it looked like an improvised explosive device.

His family is laughing the whole thing off, realizing not everyone understands Frunk like they do.

“He’s super smart. He’s always built things, he’s always taking things apart,” said his sister, Kiki Stonebraker. “I guess just knowing my brother and growing up with him, that stuff was laying around our house all the time.”

The school district said because students were asked to clear the area of the locker room, and because of what the device looked like, Frunk was suspended for disrupting school, which is a violation of the student handbook.

© Copyright Original Source

And how does any of that refute the observations made by Pamela Geller in her Breitbart editorial?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Will Obama be inviting him to the White House any time soon?
      Of course not. Levi isn't a privileged Muslim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        And how does any of that refute the observations made by Pamela Geller in her Breitbart editorial?
        By being factual as opposed to hyperbolic, obviously.

This, unlike the arrest of teenager followed by police questioning without his parents, is not national news level. Particularly because this kid left the thing in plain view and completely unattended. Ahmed was suspended over allegedly building a fake bomb. This kid, upon seeing that the device he left unattended was causing a bomb scare, reassured people, not unlike 14 year old Ahmed insisting his clock was a clock was trying to tell people it wasn't a bomb. Finally, unlike the arrest and questioning of a 14 year old boy, the school suspended this student for all of 36 hours because of a student handbook violation because he caused a large scale disruption, admittedly by accident. He was not punished for allegedly bringing a fake bomb to school on purpose as Ahmed was.

Oh, and this Kid is POST AHMED so.... yeah

MM, the more I look at this the more I see numerous key differences between this story and the one from last year. This is nowhere near as bad as that was on numerous levels and near as I can tell the school handled this perfectly unlike the case in Texas.

tl;dr -- You're editorial is nonsense and conflating radically different situations to get people like you and rogue super miffed

Comment

By being factual as opposed to hyperbolic, obviously.

This, unlike the arrest of teenager followed by police questioning without his parents, is not national news level. Particularly because this kid left the thing in plain view and completely unattended. Ahmed was suspended over allegedly building a fake bomb. This kid, upon seeing that the device he left unattended was causing a bomb scare, reassured people, not unlike 14 year old Ahmed insisting his clock was a clock was trying to tell people it wasn't a bomb. Finally, unlike the arrest and questioning of a 14 year old boy, the school suspended this student for all of 36 hours because of a student handbook violation because he caused a large scale disruption, admittedly by accident. He was not punished for allegedly bringing a fake bomb to school on purpose as Ahmed was.

Oh, and this Kid is POST AHMED so.... yeah

MM, the more I look at this the more I see numerous key differences between this story and the one from last year. This is nowhere near as bad as that was on numerous levels and near as I can tell the school handled this perfectly unlike the case in Texas.

tl;dr -- You're editorial is nonsense and conflating radically different situations to get people like you and rogue super miffed
          Sure, let's look at the differences:

* Levi is a model student.
          * Ahmed has a history of being a trouble maker.

* Levi actually showed ingenuity by creating something useful from scratch.
          * Ahmed simply transferred a pre-made clock into a different housing, and even then did a rather poor job.

* Levi had no intention of causing a scene.
          * Ahmed admitted his "homemade" clock looked suspicious but brought it to school anyway.

* Levi inadvertently caused a panic, not realizing that his homemade charger might cause alarm.
          * Ahmed showed his "homemade" clock to several teachers even after being told to keep it hidden.

* Levi openly cooperated with school officials and the police.
          * Ahmed adopted a passive aggressive attitude and would only say, "It's a clock," no matter what he was asked.

* Levi and his family accepted his (unfair) punishment with good grace.
          * Ahmed's family is currently suing a number of organizations and individuals, demanding repartitions for Ahmed's little stunt.

All things considered, it certainly seems that Levi is more deserving of praise than Clock Boy, don't you think. So where is Levi's White House invite? When will the left celebrate Levi as a teenage genius who was treated unfairly because of a simple misunderstanding? Do you think Google, Mark Zuckerberg, MIT, NASA, etc. are currently drafting congratulatory notices to Levi with promises of scholarships and internships? Is Microsoft going to ship thousands of dollars worth of merchandise to reward Levi for his ingenuity?

What's that? Ahmed is Muslim, and Levi is Jewish?

Ooooooh...

Comment

Sure, let's look at the differences:

* Levi is a model student.
            Oh, yeah, you mean from his 7th grade teacher Mr. Kubiak, who since Ahmed was 14 in 9th grade would have made him... 12?

Originally posted by random google for the teacher name, first news story
            “He was a weird little kid,” said Kubiak, now 62 and retired. “I saw a lot of him in me. That thirst for knowledge … he’s one of those kids that could either be CEO of a company or head of a gang.”
            * Levi actually showed ingenuity by creating something useful from scratch.
            * Ahmed simply transferred a pre-made clock into a different housing, and even then did a rather poor job.
            Not relevant to the schools response

* Levi had no intention of causing a scene.
            * Ahmed admitted his "homemade" clock looked suspicious but brought it to school anyway.
            Ahmed, likewise, had no intention of causing a scene. He's a young nerd looking for adulation from his engineering teacher.

Originally posted by more random googling
            “The follow-up investigation revealed the device apparently was a homemade experiment, and there’s no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm,” Boyd said, describing the incident as a “naive accident.”
            * Levi inadvertently caused a panic, not realizing that his homemade charger might cause alarm.
            * Ahmed showed his "homemade" clock to several teachers even after being told to keep it hidden.
            This isn't true. He showed it to his engineering teacher who said that after seeing it then the English class thing happened. I won't be debating you on the basic facts, MM

* Levi openly cooperated with school officials and the police.
            * Ahmed adopted a passive aggressive attitude and would only say, "It's a clock," no matter what he was asked.
            So... he told the truth? The negative twist here is &yawn& And which cops did Levi cooperate with? The Katu story doesn't mention them. I'm surprised the KATU journalist left that out, or are you just full of it?

* Levi and his family accepted his (unfair) punishment with good grace.
            * Ahmed's family is currently suing a number of organizations and individuals, demanding repartitions for Ahmed's little stunt.
            Man, it's almost like I enumerated a bunch of serious difference between these stories, who'd have thought? And, uhh, in what world is a 1.5 day suspension for inadvertently causing a "bomb drill" unfair? Like, I don't think you get that nobody at this kids school thinks it was anything but a misunderstand while you, and hundreds like you, still have it hard on for Ahmed.

No, the school is being sued for defamation. Which, yeah, that's going to be hard to defend outside of Breitbart-land.

All things considered, it certainly seems that Levi is more deserving of praise than Clock Boy, don't you think. So where is Levi's White House invite? When will the left celebrate Levi as a teenage genius who was treated unfairly because of a simple misunderstanding? Do you think Google, Mark Zuckerberg, MIT, NASA, etc. are currently drafting congratulatory notices to Levi with promises of scholarships and internships? Is Microsoft going to ship thousands of dollars worth of merchandise to reward Levi for his ingenuity?

What's that? Ahmed is Muslim, and Levi is Jewish?

Ooooooh...
            He was treated fine. He got suspended for a day and a half and his family has chocked the whole thing up as just another goofy adventure for their kid. He wasn't arrested and I can find nothing to substantiate that race played any factor here in their decision. The local news called it "High school student suspended over homemade charger" which is accurate, not inflammatory at all and nothing like the news coverage that lasted for months assaulting his character.

Funny though,

You somehow managed to leave out that the clock was with Ahmed the whole time, but this student left the device unattended plugged into the wall of the locker room and the panic started while he was not there to explain and by the time he was able to tell the coach it was too late to stop it. He wasn't punished for the device, as Ahmed was suspended, but because of the disturbance that a weird looking device caused in the gym teacher. This Matters

You also left out that the police were called and they processed him without his parents presence and the rest of that nonsense that went down. Those images of a skinny brown kid in a NASA t-shirt looking confused while the cops mill around is powerful stuff and reflects the problems and struggles that many people deal with as it relates to racial prejudice on a daily basis. This Oregon school was wise to handle it themselves. That wisdom generated key differences. Police not being their means no arrests, no spectacle. Because they didn't create spectacle, they don't need to defend their actions publicly which increases the cycle of the news allowing for more momentum to build.

Seriously, MM, these are exceptionally different scenario's.

Comment

I won't be debating you on the basic facts, MM
              Do we really have to go through this again?

You found a story that confirmed this, so no need to discuss it further.

You say this isn't relevant; on the contrary, it is very relevant when Ahmed was widely praised by the left as a teenage genius who "invented" a clock when his project wasn't actually an invention, and, to put it bluntly, was amateurish even for a 14-year old.

Clock Boy in his own words: "I closed [the ‘clock’] with a cable, I didn’t want to lock it to make it seem like a threat. So I just used a simple cable so it won’t look that much suspicious."

Mark Cuban spoke with Clock Boy shortly after the incident:

"...the kid, Ahmed, took the clock, put it in the first class. Teacher said, ‘Great. Looks great. It looks great.’ Kid picks it up, takes it to the second class. Teacher said, ‘Okay, whatever. It’s great. It’s great.’ Ahmed didn’t really comment, from what I heard. Takes it to the third class, same thing. Then he got to a point, again, secondhand, where one of the teachers, an English teacher, apparently, said, ‘Look, you’ve got to put it in your backpack, because it’s going to make some people nervous, and it’s making me nervous.’ And again, secondhand, he didn’t — he wasn’t responsive to it at all. And so, it took six classes before anything happened."

Source: Frontpage Mag

Questioned by teachers and then by police, according to WFAA: “officers said Ahmed was being ‘passive aggressive’ in his answers to their questions, and didn’t have a ‘reasonable answer’ as to what he was doing with the case. Investigators said the student told them that it was just a clock that he was messing around with. Irving police officer James McLellan explained: “We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only say it was a clock. He didn’t offer any explanation as to what it was for, why he created this device, why he brought it to school.”

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2601...robert-spencer

In other words, Ahmed was a punk pulling a stunt with a ham-handed "homemade" clock that he knew looked suspicious, and he got exactly the reaction that he and his family were hoping for.

You're right about the police thing, though. I thought the police had been called on Levi, but apparently because he was open and honest with school administrators, the matter was quickly settled without police involvement. Contrast this with Ahmed's deceitful and passive aggressive behavior.

But let's switch students. Suppose Levi was in Ahmed's position and Ahmed was in Levi's position. Now which story do you suppose liberals would have focused on? The passive aggressive white Jewish kid who pulled a prank on school officials with a suspicious device, or the Muslim kid who was a model student who was unfairly punished over a misunderstanding? The follow-up questions is why would liberals choose to focus on one story and not the other?

I'm pretty sure you know the answer.

Comment

• MM, It's clear as day that you don't have any way to answer the actual points I brought up since you, for 3 posts in a row now, have refused to directly address the points I have brought up and have simply repeated yourself and it's getting kind of sad dude. These situations are not similar and you have not done the legwork to demonstrate that they are. I have written answers to almost every single point you brought up here, actually, it's in the post right above yours! Great, eh? Try replying to what I actually said and we can continue this, but this evasiveness is really lame dude

Comment

• Source: 'Clock Boy' Loses in Court, Father's Defamation Lawsuit Dismissed

A district court judge in Texas has dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed by Ahmed Mohamed on his own behalf and on behalf of his 15-year-old son, Ahmed Mohamed. They had sued Fox News, Glenn Beck, and the mayor of Irving -- among others -- for defamation in September of 2016.

A year earlier, Ahmed, then a 14-year-old freshman at an Irving, Texas, high school, was arrested, briefly detained by police, and suspended for three days after bringing to school a "cool clock" that looked like a briefcase bomb. Ahmed claimed to have "invented" the easily assembled clock, and that he had brought it to school to show it to his shop teacher.

The incident led many to question the Mohamed family's motives. Newly appointed District Court Judge Maricela Moore dismissed the lawsuit following a nearly three-hour hearing on Monday, according to the American Freedom Law Center:

The motion to dismiss was filed by lawyers from the American Freedom Law Center (“AFLC”) and local counsel Pete Rowe on behalf of the Center for Security Policy (“CSP”) and Jim Hanson, two of the defendants in the defamation case, which also named as defendants the local Fox affiliate, Glenn Beck, and Beck’s production company.
                  Mohamed had sued Hanson and CSP for statements Hanson had made on Beck’s program about the connection between the Clock Boy hoax bomb affair, the attendant media frenzy created in large part by his father Mohamed, civilization jihad, and the Counsel on American-Islamic Relations (“CAIR”), the Muslim Brotherhood-Hamas front group in the United States that promotes civilization jihad.

During the hearing, AFLC co-founder and senior counsel David Yerushalmi explained to Judge Moore that the purpose of the lawfare-driven lawsuit was to intimidate into silence those who might comment publicly on the connection between jihad, terrorism, sharia, and Islam. As such, Yerushalmi argued, "this case is a classic Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation or ‘SLAPP’ case and should be dismissed.”

During the lengthy hearing, Judge Moore pressed Mohamed’s lawyer, Fort Worth attorney Susan Hutchison, to provide any facts that would suggest that Hanson and the other defendants had said anything false or defamatory about Mohamed or his son during the television broadcasts. After spending a painfully embarrassing 15 minutes flipping through reams of paper, Mohamed’s lawyer was unable to provide any such evidence.

Source

[*Story continues at the link above*]

First, it needs to be noted that the judge in the case is a Democrat.

Second, I kinda wish the case proceeded in that I would really like to hear the school's side of all this. We only heard Ahmed and his family's account.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

First, it needs to be noted that the judge in the case is a Democrat.

Second, I kinda wish the case proceeded in that I would really like to hear the school's side of all this. We only heard Ahmed and his family's account.
                    Yeah, I'd love to hear from all the liberals who were rushing to this 'poor kid's defense.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Source: 'Clock Boy' Loses in Court, Father's Defamation Lawsuit Dismissed

During the lengthy hearing, Judge Moore pressed Mohamed’s lawyer, Fort Worth attorney Susan Hutchison, to provide any facts that would suggest that Hanson and the other defendants had said anything false or defamatory about Mohamed or his son during the television broadcasts. After spending a painfully embarrassing 15 minutes flipping through reams of paper, Mohamed’s lawyer was unable to provide any such evidence.

Source

So the lawyer wasn't even ready to present his case? Or was he vainly hoping he wouldn't be asked? It boggles my mind that he would waste 15-minutes looking for something he had to know didn't exist.

Comment

So the lawyer wasn't even ready to present his case? Or was he vainly hoping he wouldn't be asked? It boggles my mind that he would waste 15-minutes looking for something he had to know didn't exist.
                        Perhaps he was lulled into a false sense of confidence by the liberals who were singing the praises of clock boy and declaring anybody who didn't kiss his butt as "anti-Muslim". Maybe he just figured he'd sail through that hearing unopposed.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Perhaps he was lulled into a false sense of confidence by the liberals who were singing the praises of clock boy and declaring anybody who didn't kiss his butt as "anti-Muslim". Maybe he just figured he'd sail through that hearing unopposed.
                          I think we need to call this "the Hillary effect".

Comment

The lawyer was a woman, not a man. The judge asked her a question she wasn't prepared to answer. It happens. Of course, she should had at least her best case evidence at the tips of her fingers; either her notes didn't include the medium used in the alleged defamation, or her best allegations weren't broadcast.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              The lawyer was a woman, not a man. The judge asked her a question she wasn't prepared to answer. It happens.
                              It regularly happens that a lawyer is not prepared to present the key piece of evidence to make their case?

Remember, they were suing for defamation, so you would think that evidence of the defendants making false statements would be at the top of the stack.

Comment

Remember, they were suing for defamation, so you would think that evidence of the defendants making false statements would be at the top of the stack.
                                Well, yes. I addressed that in the rest of my post.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment