Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    I hope this kids Dad sues the school and Irving police back to the stone age for the outrageous response to a harmless science project.
    The law has no power to move people through time.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Most of those being gun violence.

How many do you want to have in your local school? If the answer is none then it's a bad idea to have a school so wrapped up in stats that they refuse to react sensibly to the particular situation.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Most of those being gun violence.
        I hope your point isn't that Muslim terrorists prefer bombs to guns.
        Originally posted by Teallaura
        How many do you want to have in your local school? If the answer is none then it's a bad idea to have a school so wrapped up in stats that they refuse to react sensibly to the particular situation.
        They acted sensibly? The whole point is that they acted insensibly.

Comment

It's ridiculous in so many ways I don't know how else to express it.

Labeling and stereotyping a teenager based on a problem on the other side of the Earth is not a compelling reason to react in this manner. Try and treat any other group of people the way Arabs are often treated, and just see if you don't get slapped with a lawsuit. The fact of the matter is, we've become exactly the way the terrorists wanted us to become: fearful, cowardly, paranoid, and prejudice. I'm sure ISIS loves this kind of stuff - it further fuels their message.

Comment

Land of the slaves, home of the cowards.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              A circuit board is threatening?
              From what I've heard it also had a tiger on it. Maybe they don't like jungle cats?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                A circuit board is threatening?
                Well, a circuit board, a bunch of wires, and other unidentifiable parts inside a briefcase could certainly make me nervous in the right (or wrong) setting. Imagine someone trying to sneak that past airport security.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                  I hope your point isn't that Muslim terrorists prefer bombs to guns.

They acted sensibly? The whole point is that they acted insensibly.

No, my point was that yours is a red herring.

Common sense didn't show up at that school that day.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                    It's ridiculous in so many ways I don't know how else to express it.

Labeling and stereotyping a teenager based on a problem on the other side of the Earth is not a compelling reason to react in this manner. Try and treat any other group of people the way Arabs are often treated, and just see if you don't get slapped with a lawsuit. The fact of the matter is, we've become exactly the way the terrorists wanted us to become: fearful, cowardly, paranoid, and prejudice. I'm sure ISIS loves this kind of stuff - it further fuels their message.
                    Still the same bridge, SoR. You are jumping to conclusions just as they did.

You're actually doing the exact opposite of what you intend. When everything is 'bigotry and racism' sooner (usually) or later, you go from exposing a wrong to committing it. Assume the worst about everyone and that's all you'll find - and worse, encourage.

Unjust accusations become grounds to play victim - and causes the very resentment that often lives around the base of the very bigotry you want to stop.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of braindead View Post
                      1)Do you have any idea how a bomb works? Seriously, you, these school officials, and the police in Irving TX need to learn the basic functions of a bomb - none of which are present in this clock.

2)Thanks for telling everybody that you are an anti-Arabic bigot.
                      Ah, yes, when I wrote what I wrote, I just knew that some self-righteous social justice warrior would swoop in full of impotent rage and with shrill cries of "Bigotry!" as if Muslim terrorism isn't actually a thing that has happened in the US. Thank you for not disappointing.

As for my knowledge of bombs, no, I don't actually have any idea how they work, and probably neither did the teachers. I only know what I've seen on TV, which admittedly is probably not the best source of information for this sort of thing, but at the same time, when a kid brings in a device that looks suspciously like how bombs are depicted in popular entertainment, well, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to procede with due caution.

Let me put it this way: If you took Ahmed's homemade clock and left it on a busy street corner, would it or would it not cause a panic?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What nobody has explained to me is how he was charged with creating a bomb hoax. In order for it to be a bomb hoax you actually have to claim to have a bomb which he never did.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Well, a circuit board, a bunch of wires, and other unidentifiable parts inside a briefcase could certainly make me nervous in the right (or wrong) setting. Imagine someone trying to sneak that past airport security.

This type of reasoning is what lead to the creation of the Patriot act.... Just because something can be used for bad thing does not mean we overreact to situations. The student repeatedly told officials that it was a clock, so I don't see where he's at fault.
                          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          I support the :
                          sigpic

Comment

Then never use a computer or especially a Rasberry Pi circuit board, after all it has wires that connect to each other, right?
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

He wasn't trying to sneak it anywhere, let alone past airport security - and there's obviously no explosive component to it. Further, people do not nonchalantly carry around bombs in their backpacks - people who are sent on suicide bombing missions are typically hopped up on drugs and/or nervous as all getout.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Have any of you seen the "clock"? Frankly, I don't blame the teachers for being a little nervous, especially when the student in question is a Muslim.
                                Obviously racial profiling works! /s
                                -Unknown

I support the :
                                sigpic

Comment