Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah... root bear.

I'm always still in trouble again

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It will have to be root beer.
    You're assuming that the president has some sort of compunction about following the law.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen klaus54 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Have any of you seen the "clock"? Frankly, I don't blame the teachers for being a little nervous, especially when the student in question is a Muslim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Have any of you seen the "clock"? Frankly, I don't blame the teachers for being a little nervous, especially when the student in question is a Muslim.
    A circuit board is threatening?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

7. Amen Irate Canadian, Jaecp, fm93 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    1)Do you have any idea how a bomb works? Seriously, you, these school officials, and the police in Irving TX need to learn the basic functions of a bomb - none of which are present in this clock.

2)Thanks for telling everybody that you are an anti-Arabic bigot.

9. Amen Jaecp, fm93, Carrikature amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is just pitiful and an embarrassment to Texas. This kid did nothing wrong. Because his school and local police have a prejudice against Arabic people, he was harassed, taken to city jail, and handcuffed like a terrorist in front of his whole class room. Shame on all of those involved. I hope this kids Dad sues the school and Irving police back to the stone age for the outrageous response to a harmless science project.

Being scared of Arabic people because of 9/11 does not give anyone the right to treat them all like threats to our security.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea of red View Post
    1)Do you have any idea how a bomb works? Seriously, you, these school officials, and the police in Irving TX need to learn the basic functions of a bomb - none of which are present in this clock.

2)Thanks for telling everybody that you are an anti-Arabic bigot.
    Yeah, they overreacted, but I don't think erring on the side of caution initially is a bad thing regardless of ethnicity. (Here in Texas, it might be the redneck kid who does something like this...) The teacher isn't a science teacher, and she wasn't sure because it looked like a "TV Bomb", so, she did the right thing by notifying school officials until it could be determined exactly what it was. I think it went to far when the police were called...knowing by that time that it was just a clock, and they also knowing that, decided to arrest the kid anyway. That's when it went way too far IMO.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Right, SoR - except you just jumped off the other end of that bridge.

The school was NOT wrong to be cautious - they are entrusted with a lot of young lives and they DON'T get to take unnecessary risks.

Pretending terrorism isn't linked to the Middle East is just as stupid as pretending only those from the Middle East can be terrorists. So yes, being of Middle Eastern descent and acting suspicious (like bringing a homemade gadget in a case to a public building) DOES warrant consideration and usually investigation.

The school erred in being STUPID. The kid should have (and probably was) been asked what he brought it for. That and the logical follow ups should have gotten the bit about the teacher having already seen it. The engineering teacher should then have been summoned and the thing straightened out. There should not have been a need to call the cops - although I probably would have called Mom and Dad to have them come get the thing.

How the heck it progressed to cops being summoned and an arrest being made is beyond me. My best guess is a case of 'I'm not an expert and I'm not making the call' went viral. No one wanted to pronounce the gadget safe and be wrong. But since the school had and engineering teacher on site, I have no idea how they managed to not get the one expert they had available.

Stupid. But not necessarily bigotry. You can't make that case unless little WASP's routinely run around campus with homemade gadgetry in little cases. Which I doubt.

Sounds more like they panicked to me. Not that it's an excuse - the grown ups should have more sense than these seem to have exercised.

13. Amen DesertBerean, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Most violent school incidents in the US have been caused by non-Muslims.