Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Yeah, I forgot that anyone that disagrees with conservative majority here is 'silly' - along with a multitude of other names.
    You're being silly because I've known plenty of people that have brought in electronics, of all types, and somehow have managed not to get arrested or in any sort of trouble at all (even those who have brown skin tones). If you're going to bring in something that looks a lot like the classic image of bombs (and yes, a clock can easily be modified into one, with little to no work involved), than don't be surprised if people ask you questions about it.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      wow
      I said the same thing reading your posts.

Comment

Like I said before, the terrorists won in the end.

If kids can't bring any kind of electronic device without it being seen as a bomb, then the terrorists really did get exactly what they want - everybody in the US living in an irrational fear, based on ignorance and stereotypes. This is not a matter of ' See something, say something' it's a case of people in general just assuming that Arabic people - including the children - are always up to no good.
        Yeah, we should only worry if it looks like a computer has been gutted and dumped in a box.

Seriously, it's just as foolhardy to assume that someone from Group X must be innocent because the assumption of guilt is racist (which misses a lot of forest from trees) as it is to assume that all members of Group X are guilty.

Context, it's what's for supper!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Yeah, we should only worry if it looks like a computer has been gutted and dumped in a box.

Seriously, it's just as foolhardy to assume that someone from Group X must be innocent because the assumption of guilt is racist (which misses a lot of forest from trees) as it is to assume that all members of Group X are guilty.

Context, it's what's for supper!
          It must be racism Teal. That is the only explanation possible (of course, I went to school with people of many different races and somehow most of them managed not to get arrested or suspended, but hey, we don't need those 'fact' things getting in the way).
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            You're being silly because I've known plenty of people that have brought in electronics, of all types, and somehow have managed not to get arrested or in any sort of trouble at all (even those who have brown skin tones). If you're going to bring in something that looks a lot like the classic image of bombs (and yes, a clock can easily be modified into one, with little to no work involved), than don't be surprised if people ask you questions about it.
            Oh, why didn't you say so? This kid must have had it coming then.

Comment

It must be racism Teal. That is the only explanation possible (of course, I went to school with people of many different races and somehow most of them managed not to get arrested or suspended, but hey, we don't need those 'fact' things getting in the way).
              Yeah, that stupid Muslim kid should have known that it looked like a bomb, duh! I mean, you and all of the other conservative say it looks like one, so it must be true.

Comment

Oh, why didn't you say so? This kid must have had it coming then.
                And another non-answer again. It's called having a little sense. If I would have come though the front gate onto my base, with something like that sitting in the open, I bet I would have been stopped and questioned about it and I'm sure the dogs would have been sniffing my car. Crying racism or some other charge doesn't refute having a little sense. If you're going to be carrying around things that look a lot like triggers for bombs; don't be surprised if somebody ask you questions about what you have.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Yeah, that stupid Muslim kid should have known that it looked like a bomb, duh! I mean, you and all of the other conservative say it looks like one, so it must be true.
                  More charges of racism, eh? Sorry James, but I would have been stopped with trying to bring something on that on my base and I'm a white girl. It's called having some sense. If you have something on your person that looks a lot like a bomb would look; don't be surprised if you're questioned about it.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In a video the kid states he altered the locking mechanism to make it less suspicious, so he evidently understood it could cause concern.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And another non-answer again. It's called having a little sense. If I would have come though the front gate onto my base, with something like that sitting in the open, I bet I would have been stopped and questioned about it and I'm sure the dogs would have been sniffing my car. Crying racism or some other charge doesn't refute having a little sense. If you're going to be carrying around things that look a lot like triggers for bombs; don't be surprised if somebody ask you questions about what you have.
                      You know what? I really don't care anymore. I've simply had enough and I don't think this site is a place for me at this point.

No matter what I say, I'm going to get misunderstood, piss off someone, and get told I'm irrational for not agreeing with the conservative crowd here. It's fine that this a place for conservative Christians to hang out with like minded people, but the more I time I spend on here, the more I get the impression that I don't think really think most care what I have to say - which is not something that offends me at all.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic, nor am I 'thin-skinned' - as I'm no doubt sure to be accused of. I just feel I should call time on this adventure into Christian circles I made back in 2008, and go do other things. It's been real getting to know you all.

Comment

You know what? I really don't care anymore. I've simply had enough and I don't think this site is a place for me at this point.

No matter what I say, I'm going to get misunderstood, piss off someone, and get told I'm irrational for not agreeing with the conservative crowd here. It's fine that this a place for conservative Christians to hang out with like minded people, but the more I time I spend on here, the more I get the impression that I don't think really think most care what I have to say - which is not something that offends me at all.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic, nor am I 'thin-skinned' - as I'm no doubt sure to be accused of. I just feel I should call time on this adventure into Christian circles I made back in 2008, and go do other things. It's been real getting to know you all.

I don't want you to leave.

Maybe take a break and come back later?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've been in the military for over 10 years. I've had a few briefings on these type of subjects and cobbled together electronics is actually one of the things you'd look for, when it comes to spotting an IED. It really isn't that difficult to turn a clock into a trigger for a bomb. See, my comments have zero to do with it being a liberal/conservative issue and everything to do with my military training and what I was taught in briefings by those who work in UOD. I would have been stopped by the gate guards, on my base, if I had something similar to that why would you be surprised that you're going to be questioned if you have something that looks like a bomb trigger in your possession? Cry racism all you want, but even me, a white Christian woman, would have been stopped and asked about this, if I had something like this coming onto my base. It has zero to do with racism and everything to do with what officials should be doing. Do I think arresting him was going too far? Yeah, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to determine that it is just a clock stuffed into a new case, but I wouldn't blame anybody for asking the questions about what it is and why it is on their possession. Would you prefer a staff that asked the questions dealing with your child's safety or one that could care less about your child's safety? I don't care what liberals or conservatives say at all (and yes, I do agree with you that we have become more fearful in this day and age than we should be), but you need to use a little bit of sense too. If you're carrying around things that look a lot like bomb triggers, don't be too surprised when you're asked about them by an official.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 09-22-2015, 09:09 PM.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            In a video the kid states he altered the locking mechanism to make it less suspicious, so he evidently understood it could cause concern.
                            No, again, what the kid said in the video was that he closed the case with a cord instead of locking it because a lock would look suspicious. The kid at no point indicated that he thought the contents looked suspicious.
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I've been in the military for over 10 years. I've had a few briefings on these type of subjects and cobbled together electronics is actually one of the things you'd look for, when it comes to spotting an IED. It really isn't that difficult to turn a clock into a trigger for a bomb. See, my comments have zero to do with it being a liberal/conservative issue and everything to do with my military training and what I was taught in briefings by those who work in UOD. I would have been stopped by the gate guards, on my base, if I had something similar to that why would you be surprised that you're going to be questioned if you have something that looks like a bomb trigger in your possession? Cry racism all you want, but even me, a white Christian woman, would have been stopped and asked about this, if I had something like this coming onto my base. It has zero to do with racism and everything to do with what officials should be doing. Do I think arresting him was going too far? Yeah, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to determine that it is just a clock stuffed into a new case, but I wouldn't blame anybody for asking the questions about what it is and why it is on their possession. Would you prefer a staff that asked the questions dealing with your child's safety or one that could care less about your child's safety? I don't care what liberals or conservatives say at all (and yes, I do agree with you that we have become more fearful in this day and age than we should be), but you need to use a little bit of sense too. If you're carrying around things that look a lot like bomb triggers, don't be too surprised when you're asked about them by an official.
                              I really don't know why you bothered posting this; I'm not going to argue back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                No, again, what the kid said in the video was that he closed the case with a cord instead of locking it because a lock would look suspicious. The kid at no point indicated that he thought the contents looked suspicious.
                                Yeah - why would the lock that it came with look suspicious? It wouldn't. Something made the kid think it somehow might look suspicious to someone - and you're making him into a moron again if it's the lock the thing came with.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment