Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    While I remember vacuum tubes, my Dad never took a bunch out of a TV that I recall.
    My dad had a masters degree in electronics but worked in sales yet loved to fix TVs. We always had one or two sitting in the garage that he would be working on. Either one of ours (we had a TV in nearly every room of the house due to him winning them in sales contests), a neighbor's or one of his co-workers. And it was usually about one to three tubes that we took up for testing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      . . .And it was usually about one to three tubes that we took up for testing.
      Ah yes I recall taking tubes from malfunctioning TVs in to check.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        My dad had a masters degree in electronics but worked in sales yet loved to fix TVs. We always had one or two sitting in the garage that he would be working on. Either one of ours (we had a TV in nearly every room of the house due to him winning them in sales contests), a neighbor's or one of his co-workers. And it was usually about one to three tubes that we took up for testing.
        Daddy certainly knew how to change vacuum tubes but I can't recall him ever doing it for a TV. At least, not one of the ones we used.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• 150917ahmed-obama.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Depends on the application that you're using them in. Vacuum tubes are still used today in a few applications due to various reasons (in the civilian world, they are used in radio transmitters and the military still uses them in some applications because they are less susceptible to inference from solar flares and EMP's). I also think they were still in use, in TV sets, up until the late 70's because I do remember my dad and my grandparents talking about how you used to have to replace tubes in TV sets and how you could buy replacement's at the store. I don't remember having to do this myself (most TV's had been replaced using ones without tubes, by the time I could remember anything).
              I believe MiG fighters still use vacuum tubes.

The advantage is making repairs to the electrical systems much easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                I believe MiG fighters still use vacuum tubes.

The advantage is making repairs to the electrical systems much easier.
                They're also not as vulnerable to an EMP attack.

Comment

• Now the parents are claiming that Ahmed has been "severely traumatized" by the ordeal. Sounds like they're ramping up for a lawsuit.

Just look how traumatized he is, the poor thing.
                  Attached Files
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Now the parents are claiming that Ahmed has been "severely traumatized" by the ordeal. Sounds like they're ramping up for a lawsuit.

Just look how traumatized he is, the poor thing.
                    Yeah, at one point, his father was claiming that Ahmed was "tortured".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        He "built" CPU's, and "soldering them"?

OK, first of all, the CPU is the Central Processing Unit - the main chip on the motherboard - it doesn't need soldering at all.
                        Secondly, being generous, and assuming that he is using the often used misapplication of the term "CPU" to mean "the desktop box or computer thingie" - there's no soldering required there, either.

Hard to tell from that one clip in what context this is being addressed.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Which in NO way indicates he was trying to scare a bunch of people. I think, as I have said numerous times, he was just doing it for attention.
                          Weren't you the one complaining about false accusastions earlier? Why is it okay to make a false accusastion against a 14 year old kid?

Comment

Which in NO way indicates he was trying to scare a bunch of people. I think, as I have said numerous times, he was just doing it for attention.
                            Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                            Weren't you the one complaining about false accusastions earlier? Why is it okay to make a false accusastion against a 14 year old kid?
                            Why the hostility? I express my opinion (in the post you quoted) including "I think....".... which should indicate it's an opinion, not an accusation.

Did I do something to you?

And what's so magic about "a 14 year old kid"? I don't get that.

Comment

He "built" CPU's, and "soldering them"?

OK, first of all, the CPU is the Central Processing Unit - the main chip on the motherboard - it doesn't need soldering at all.
                              Secondly, being generous, and assuming that he is using the often used misapplication of the term "CPU" to mean "the desktop box or computer thingie" - there's no soldering required there, either.

Hard to tell from that one clip in what context this is being addressed.
                              yeah that.

Computers are basically plug in components on a ready made mother board. CPU's are designed by a team of engineers and etched on silicon wafers using automated systems and then robots attach the chips to the leads of the chip. Much too small and complicated for a hobbyist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                yeah that.

Computers are basically plug in components on a ready made mother board. CPU's are designed by a team of engineers and etched on silicon wafers using automated systems and then robots attach the chips to the leads of the chip. Much too small and complicated for a hobbyist.
                                And (human) soldering would destroy them.

Comment