Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is Baptism part of the gospel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Baptism part of the gospel?

Spin off thread from What are the essentials of the genuine Christian faith?

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Rising from the water of baptism is re-birth, and with the capacity to completely overcome sin. However, that is like saying that a new-born baby is born with the capacity (all being well) to run in a hurdle race (even if he can't really compete). The capacity is certainly present, but the actualised ability takes time to manifest.

A number of passages show that it happens perhaps long after the initial commitment to Christ, but certainly prior to death.

There are many problems with that interpretation/application of Romans 7. However, a contrast is stated between the "I" who can not overcome the dictates of sin and being thereby thrown into self conflict, and the "you" and "we" who have overcome this conflict in chapters 6 and 8. What can be said even if Paul was referring to himself in chapter 7? In the eleven years that followed the writing of the letter until his death, did he make no advancement?

Sanctification is being set apart for particular purpose - in this case, holy purpose. It comes with belief and repentance. That is what makes it possible on rare occasion that a person can be baptised into the Holy Spirit even before he is baptised in water. However, this is a matter of cleansing - purification is a further step. In terms of an analogy, it is equivalent to washing the hands with soap and water (cleansing) and afterward rubbing the hands with anti bacterial solution (purification) - a process familiar to many who work in sensitive areas.
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Hmm... Not in my Bible.
    Romans 6:3-6
    3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin

That is, of course, not the limit of the passages making the same kind of statement - but it is the most relevant to the current topic.
    I agree that Romans 6:3-6 refers to water baptism [immersion]. But I do not see that passage is teaching that water baptism which is done into Christ's death, and coming out of the water to signify that we should walk in the new life makes the act the new birth. The Israelites walking through the mist crossing the Red Sea were baptized into Moses (1 Corinthians 10:2). And the Apostle Paul was not commanded to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17), indicating baptism is not part of the gospel though it does in fact accompany the gospel. Further more Paul mocks those who baptize into Christ's death and did not believe in the general resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:29-31, 12-21).
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

I agree that Romans 6:3-6 refers to water baptism [immersion].

But I do not see that passage is teaching that water baptism which is done into Christ's death, and coming out of the water to signify that we should walk in the new life makes the act the new birth.
    I'm reasonably confident the the new life referred to here is from above - signifying both divine intervention, and a renewal "from top" (to bottom).

The Israelites walking through the mist crossing the Red Sea were baptized into Moses (1 Corinthians 10:2).
    The cloud would be the cloud that went before them by day, but yes, the passage does draw a parallel between baptism into Moses and Baptism into Christ.

And the Apostle Paul was not commanded to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17), indicating baptism is not part of the gospel though it does in fact accompany the gospel. Further more Paul mocks those who baptize into Christ's death and did not believe in the general resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:29-31, 12-21).
    And to the point of whether baptism into Christ is part of the gospel.

Perhaps it would be in order to conduct a quick rundown of precisely what the scriptures record concerning baptism.

Re: Baptism - Session 1

seidousoushi site
    Last edited by tabibito; 09-20-2015, 12:15 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I find it telling that the first question the Ethiopian eunuch asked upon being convinced of the gospel involved baptism.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm reasonably confident the the new life referred to here is from above - signifying both divine intervention, and a renewal "from top" (to bottom).
        Without question, God does the new birth.
        The cloud would be the cloud that went before them by day, but yes, the passage does draw a parallel between baptism into Moses and Baptism into Christ['s death].
        Bracketed added by me.
        And the Apostle Paul was not commanded to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17), indicating baptism is not part of the gospel though it does in fact accompany the gospel. Further more Paul mocks those who baptize into Christ's death and did not believe in the general resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:29-31, 12-21).
        ". . . For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 1:17

Perhaps it would be in order to conduct a quick rundown of precisely what the scriptures record concerning baptism.

Re: Baptism - Session 1

seidousoushi site
        ". . . Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ into the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. . . ." -- Acts 2:38
        Without question Peter gave that instruction. But the baptism was not the requirement.
        ". . . To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word. . . ." -- Acts 10:43-44
        And following this.
        . . . Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Spirit as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. . . . " -- Acts 10:47-48
        You see baptism was never the essential even though baptism was commanded.
        1. Is water necessary for baptism?
        Yes.
        2. If a person has already received the Holy Spirit, is baptism into the name of the Lord unnecessary?
        No.

". . . He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. . . ." -- Mark 16:16

No.
        Yes.
        3. To be saved, what is required?
        Believing.
        No.

" . . . while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. The like figure whereunto [even] baptism doth also now save us . . . " -- 1 Peter 3:20-21
        Noah and his family was saved from the world that was by the flood (2 Peter 3:6). As an anti-type water baptism saves us by "- not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God, - by the resurrection of Jesus Christ." For as Paul wrote the Roman church, ". . . so we also should walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:4.) Indicating we are no longer going to live for this world.

Note also, Noah and his family were in the ark which can be regarded as a type of Christ. If they were not in the ark the flood would not have saved them from the world that was. So in like manner if a person is not in Christ they will perish (1 John 5:12; John 15:6).
        1. What does the water now do?
        Save us. [see above]
        2. How is this achieved?
        ". . . not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God. . . ." [see above]

. . . Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: . . . " -- Matthew 28:19-20

1. Does Jesus command that baptism be conducted?
        Yes.
        2. Is baptism included in that things that Jesus requires the apostles to teach people to observe?
        Yes.
        Means "to do."

". . . And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. . . ." -- Acts 22:16
        Ananias instructs Saul to do three things], arise, be baptized and wash away his sins calling upon the name of the Lord (see 1 John 1:9-2:2).
        Yes.
        Last edited by 37818; 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I find it telling that the first question the Ethiopian eunuch asked upon being convinced of the gospel involved baptism.
          yeah
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Quite so. It is difficult to explain how a person who knew nothing of Christianity prior to the meeting with Philip should have known to ask for baptism subsequent to preaching of the gospel if baptism wasn't part of that preaching.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Quite so. It is difficult to explain how a person who knew nothing of Christianity prior to the meeting with Philip should have known to ask for baptism subsequent to preaching of the gospel if baptism wasn't part of that preaching.
              ". . . Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on [their] way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? . . ."-- Acts 8:35-36
              No one is claiming that the instruction of baptism was not taught with the gospel (see Acts 19:1-4).
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

37818; Post #4
                And the Apostle Paul was not commanded to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17), indicating baptism is not part of the gospel though it does in fact accompany the gospel. Furthermore Paul mocks those who baptize into Christ's death and did not believe in the general resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:29-31, 12-21).
                37818 Post #7
                No one is claiming that the instruction of baptism was not taught with the gospel (see Acts 19:1-4).
                Is baptism an optional extra, something that can be included in the preaching of Christ if the preacher feels like it, or is it an essential part of the teachings concerning Christianity?

Hebrews 5:14-6
                14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil 6:1Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment

In the ordinary course, I won't use that passage to demonstrate the necessity of preaching baptism during evangelism, for simple cause that the Koine Greek doesn't say "baptisms", but "washings". However, given that you have interpreted the English translation of "αναστας・having/being arisen" as a command, I'm sure you'll have no problem accepting the translation of "βαπτισμων・washings" as "baptisms."

Originally posted by 37818
                ". . . And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord. . . ." -- Acts 22:16
                Ananias instructs Saul to do three things], arise, be baptized and wash away his sins calling upon the name of the Lord (see 1 John 1:9-2:2).
                ". . . He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. . . ." -- Mark 16:16

According to Mark 16:16, is the time of condemnation set for future, present, or past?

3. To be saved, what is required?
                Believing.
                According to Mark 16:16 - to be saved, what is required ?
                Last edited by tabibito; 09-21-2015, 06:12 AM.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And the Apostle Paul was not commanded to baptize but to preach the gospel (1 Corinthians 1:17), indicating baptism is not part of the gospel though it does in fact accompany the gospel.
                  Furthermore Paul mocks those who baptize into Christ's death and did not believe in the general resurrection of the dead (1 Corinthians 15:29-31, 12-21).
                  ". . . For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 1:17

A shop assistant's job is not to sell things, but to serve customers. It is reasonable to assume that the shop assistant's sale of items is an optional extra??
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Last edited by apostoli; 09-21-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
                      True! However, baptism was a common practice by various groups in the region at the time. Nothing unusual about the Ethiopian emissary seeking to be baptised per se. But did he understand the difference between a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins and the baptism into Jesus' death & resurrection? (cp. Mk 1:4-5) In anycase, we are left guessing whether the Ethiopian received the Holy Spirit or not.

I find Acts 18:24-25 of interest: "...a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John..."

With only John's baptism Apollos and others were fearless in preaching Christ.
                      It would seem so. It is also possible that their number may have included people who had never been numbered among the direct disciples of Christ.
                      Mark 9:38-39
                      38 39

Not required - it simply records that particular sequence on this occasion. Other passages lead to the conclusion that it is the preferred/standard sequence.
                      I take it that the Bible records instances where God chooses to ignore the standard procedure.

From Acts 8:15-17 we learn that even if someone is baptised in the name of Jesus, they don't necessarily receive the Holy Spirit. The laying on of hands by an apostle is required.
                      The Holy Spirit is received through the laying on of hands by an apostle, certainly. But nothing in this verse, even taken as stand alone, would preclude other means of bestowing the Holy Spirit, as you have noted below:

From Acts 10:44 we learn that one can receive the Holy Spirit without having been baptised in any form, or having hands laid upon them by an apostle.
                      Yup. All up, I take it that we have a basic set of procedures to follow: preaching the gospel - repentance, and confession of Christ as Lord - Baptism into the name of Christ - Baptism in (receiving) the Holy Spirit. However, the set procedures can be subject to alteration, as it were, without notice. The factor in all this that I find the most intriguiing is the contrast between John's baptism and baptism into the name of Christ. The first being a baptism of repentance, the second, a baptism of remission - but procedurally not different.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 09-21-2015, 07:31 AM.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Is baptism an optional extra, something that can be included in the preaching of Christ if the preacher feels like it, or is it an essential part of the teachings concerning Christianity?
                        Baptism is a work of the Christian faith instructed to be done. Baptism is not any kind of requirement in order to be saved. Not being baptised [immersed] will not cause one to perish.
                        14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil 6:1Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment

In the ordinary course, I won't use that passage to demonstrate the necessity of preaching baptism during evangelism, for simple cause that the Koine Greek doesn't say "baptisms", but "washings". However, given that you have interpreted the English translation of "αναστας・having/being arisen" as a command, I'm sure you'll have no problem accepting the translation of "βαπτισμων・washings" as "baptisms."
                        There are the teachings of baptisms (Matthew 3:10-12), water, the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8) and the fire (Revelation 20:15).

According to Mark 16:16, is the time of condemnation set for future, present, or past?
                        yes, it is spoken in a future tense. (see John 3:18; Romans 3:23.)

Believing.

Comment

I don't know a whole lot of Greek, but "βαπτισμων" looks a whole lot like "baptisms" to me - and baptism is the only major Christian "washing" anyway (the context is, after all, talking about the foundation of Christianity).

As I'm sure you know, Mk. 16:9-20 is not found in the earliest mss, and is regarded by most as not original. On the other hand, it is included in (at least) RCC and Orthodox lectionaries, and can thus be considered a normative belief of the early church.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito
                            Believing.
                            Nice dodge.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I don't know a whole lot of Greek, but "βαπτισμων" looks a whole lot like "baptisms" to me - and baptism is the only major Christian "washing" anyway (the context is, after all, talking about the foundation of Christianity).
                              It was a technical point, to be sure. I don't use the passage (as valuable as it is) for pointing to baptism simply because it can lead to bogging down in technicalities. Advanced bible studies can use it because the whole "washing" that occurs in baptism gets dealt with: but not base level Bible study.As to βαπτισμων (baptismōn), you are correct in that it is close to baptism - but it is only a related word. The head word for washing is βαπτισμός (baptismōs), and the headword for immersion is βαπτισμα (baptisma) - for the verbs baptizō covers both.

As I'm sure you know, Mk. 16:9-20 is not found in the earliest mss, and is regarded by most as not original. On the other hand, it is included in (at least) RCC and Orthodox lectionaries, and can thus be considered a normative belief of the early church.
                              The authenticity of Mark 16:9-20 is considered questionable, yes. Missing in the NU, I don't count significant ... the codex Vaticanus is a bit more problematical, but on balance I consider the case for inclusion to be stronger than that for exclusion. But in any event - Acts 19:4-5 and other passages can be pointed to as a matter of demonstrating the truth of Mark 16:16, even if it is not authentic.
                              Last edited by tabibito; 09-21-2015, 09:05 AM.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X