Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Why I Affirm The Virgin Birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
    To be honest, a sizable segment of the field is seeing issues with Q in the first place. His convoluted theory has even more issues with it than Q alone. Not to get overly technical here, but I think some sort of the Farrer-Goudler Hypothesis could be correct. If we dispense with Q...
    Yes, Goodacre has continued to make an impact. This is why historical Jesus scholars like Meier (and popularizers like Ehrman) and others cannot avoid the source-critical questions.

Originally posted by psstein View Post
    However, I wonder if it really should be seen as Mark, Matthew, Luke, John. As Hengel argued, why not Mark, Luke, Matthew, John?
    Alan Garrow is currently defending this theory, but note that both Hengel and Garrow do not dispense with a form of Q, just as others will combine the Farrer hypothesis with Q. I personally don't think we can recover the potential complexity or chaotic reality without endless hypothesizing so the simpler theories (2 source theory, even simpler Farrer) are probably as close as we will ever get. And we cannot avoid the creative authorial roles of the evangelists, which genuinely obscures their use of sources. This is why historians have to see the gospels as primary evidence for the views of these authors.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      From my readings, the majority scholarly opinion is that none of the Gospels were written by their traditional namesake. Nothing in my readings suggest that Ehrman is in the minority for making this sort of claim. Let me note that this isn't to say that I, personally, accept that opinion. I think Bauckham and others make strong cases why traditional authorship is valid, but, again, this does not appear to be the majority opinion.
      To avoid the dilemma that you and psstein present in terms of characterizing the majority, I typically refer to the consensus of critical scholars, and define them as SBL membership or, better yet, SNTS membership. There is no ambiguity about the consensus of these scholars.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I use it to play old games: AD&D Gold Box (including Unlimited Adventures - I downloaded a couple hundred games), original Mechwarrior, original Civilization.
        You should try checking out gog.com. They have a bunch of really old games, and they have it already preset to download a working emulator with said game. Now, obviously you wouldn't want to do this with games you already own, but they might have a few older games you would have wanted to get in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Yes, Goodacre has continued to make an impact. This is why historical Jesus scholars like Meier (and popularizers like Ehrman) and others cannot avoid the source-critical questions.

Alan Garrow is currently defending this theory, but note that both Hengel and Garrow do not dispense with a form of Q, just as others will combine the Farrer hypothesis with Q. I personally don't think we can recover the potential complexity or chaotic reality without endless hypothesizing so the simpler theories (2 source theory, even simpler Farrer) are probably as close as we will ever get. And we cannot avoid the creative authorial roles of the evangelists, which genuinely obscures their use of sources. This is why historians have to see the gospels as primary evidence for the views of these authors.
          At this point, I think I would go with Goodacre over Farrer, et al. I affirm the traditional authorship, as AFAICS arguments against it rest on unwarranted assumptions. The more I read N. T. Wright, the more I get the general sense that critical scholarship has a strong tendency to miss the forest for the trees; critical scholarship should not be dismissed, but it should not be uncritically accepted either.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

At this point, I think I would go with Goodacre over Farrer, et al. I affirm the traditional authorship, as AFAICS arguments against it rest on unwarranted assumptions. The more I read N. T. Wright, the more I get the general sense that critical scholarship has a strong tendency to miss the forest for the trees; critical scholarship should not be dismissed, but it should not be uncritically accepted either.
            Accepting critical scholarship uncritically--that's kind of humorous. Also, Goodacre agrees with the Farrer model of Lukan dependence on both Mark and Matthew without the need for Q.

Comment

Accepting critical scholarship uncritically--that's kind of humorous. Also, Goodacre agrees with the Farrer model of Lukan dependence on both Mark and Matthew without the need for Q.
              I could be misremembering; I recall reading in Goodacre's case against Q that he distanced himself from one hypothesis against Q, but I can't recall precisely how he referred to it.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I could be misremembering; I recall reading in Goodacre's case against Q that he distanced himself from one hypothesis against Q, but I can't recall precisely how he referred to it.
                He did not want the Farrer model to be too closely associated with Michael Goulder's various lectionary theories of composition, but Farrer, Goulder, and Goodacre all follow the basic Farrer source-critical hypothesis of Markan priority, no Q, and the double-tradition material resulting from Luke's use of both Mark and Matthew. That might be what you're remembering?

Comment

He did not want the Farrer model to be too closely associated with Michael Goulder's various lectionary theories of composition, but Farrer, Goulder, and Goodacre all follow the basic Farrer source-critical hypothesis of Markan priority, no Q, and the double-tradition material resulting from Luke's use of both Mark and Matthew. That might be what you're remembering?
                  I might be remembering Goodacre distancing himself from Lukan priority in the book.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    From my readings, the majority scholarly opinion is that none of the Gospels were written by their traditional namesake. Nothing in my readings suggest that Ehrman is in the minority for making this sort of claim. Let me note that this isn't to say that I, personally, accept that opinion. I think Bauckham and others make strong cases why traditional authorship is valid, but, again, this does not appear to be the majority opinion.
                    I think a slight majority see Mark as written by John Mark, and the same is true with Luke. Of course, no real literature reviews on the issue exist, at least that I know of.

Comment

I might be remembering Goodacre distancing himself from Lukan priority in the book.
                      I thought it was Matthean priority, actually.

Either way, I don't think Matthean or Lukan priority is defensible.

Comment

To avoid the dilemma that you and psstein present in terms of characterizing the majority, I typically refer to the consensus of critical scholars, and define them as SBL membership or, better yet, SNTS membership. There is no ambiguity about the consensus of these scholars.
                        Yes, because there are evangelical scholars (not to denigrate evangelicals as a whole, of course) who will uncritically accept the traditional authorship.

Comment

Goodacre definitely disagrees with Lukan priority, but then so does Farrer so they agree on this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                            I think a slight majority see Mark as written by John Mark, and the same is true with Luke. Of course, no real literature reviews on the issue exist, at least that I know of.
                            What majority are you talking about?
                            Evangelicals, evidently, contrary to what Adrift was intimating. Yes, Evangelicals to a majority, perhaps almost a unanimity, would hold to John Mark as the author of our Gospel of Mark, pretty much as we have it.
                            The academic world is a completely different matter. The non-Evangelical, non-RC more secular (not implying atheism, just non-subservience to dogma) scholars to a majority REJECT John Mark as the author. Further, to the extent they accept John Mark as author they might be referring to a Source of gMark (the non-Twelve-Source portion, for example) or the Proto-Mark (minus three chapters absent in gLuke) used in creating gLuke.
                            Rejecting all the above, I suggest a Proto-Gospel underlies all three Synoptics and a Passion Diary underlies all four gospels. (It's my Thesis that there are seven written eyewitness accounts within the four gospels.)
                            Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment