Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Apps, Extensions, Plug ins, Widgets, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apps, Extensions, Plug ins, Widgets, Oh My!

What the heck is the difference?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Often an App (or application) should be a program which only needs the operating system to run on -- and provides a user interface and some desired functionality.

The term 'widget' has been used to describe a program which runs under some other application. Often there are programming features which make it easy for us teckkie people to quickly create a widget. Some of these widgets were able to be run and displayed as part of the windows desktop -- at least in past versions of Windows. An example widget could be for monitoring a stock and displaying it's current price dynamically on the Windows desktop.

The idea of plug-ins and extensions are applicable to existing programs which were designed to allow other people to add new features. So the Firefox browser can allow new types of documents to be viewed by used of a plug-in. We might imagine that someone wished to make a web page format which would generate 3D images viewable on 3D TV screens. This might be done with a plug-in.

The difference from a widget is that firefox has already provided most of the functionality (access to internet, display of web pages) whereas the environment used with widgets may not have any user-accessed functionality by itself.

You can see some more detail on extensions and add-ons here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...firefox-add-on

--

Comment

Thanks!

So, what's the difference between an app and a program?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I used 'program' to represent anything which was built based on code instructions which operate as sequential steps or as events (e.g., which might result from selecting an item on a list or when seeking to open a file) or under object oriented designs.

So an App is just one type of program. We also could speak of an operating system (such as Windows 10) as being a program. But it might be better to speak of Windows as a slew of programs whose original concept was to provide a bridge between Apps and the hardware of the computer. So we had the name DOS (Disk Operating System).

Comment

Got it!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment