Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Double Catastrophe Wiped Out Dinosaurs: Deccan Traps Volcanism and Chicxulub Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Catastrophe Wiped Out Dinosaurs: Deccan Traps Volcanism and Chicxulub Impact

Hey Guys!?!?! How about some real science!

There has been some debate in the past concerning the meteor impact and the Decan traps eruption. I have supported that the they are to some extent related events. Others have disagreed that the timing was off concerning the Decan traps eruption. Recent research has supported my view.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/science-deccan-traps-volcanism-chicxulub-impact-03299.html

Double Catastrophe Wiped Out Dinosaurs: Deccan Traps Volcanism and Chicxulub Impact

The new measurements of Deccan volcanic activity indicate a dramatic increase in the rate of eruption of the volcanoes within 50,000 years of the Chicxulub impact.

The team, led by Prof. Paul Renne of the University of California-Berkeley, used high-resolution argon dating of local igneous minerals.

“Based on our dating of the lavas, we can be pretty certain that the volcanism and the impact occurred within 50,000 years of the extinction, so it becomes somewhat artificial to distinguish between them as killing mechanisms: both phenomena were clearly at work at the same time,” explained Prof. Renne, lead author of a paper published in the journal Science.

“It is going to be basically impossible to ascribe actual atmospheric effects to one or the other. They both happened at the same time.”

The data, combined with the layering of rock, reveal that some subsections of the Deccan Traps region were already active before the asteroid/comet hit.

Following the collision, the mean eruption frequency of a particular subsection decreased dramatically, but the lava volume per single eruptive event increased, causing the mean magma eruption rate to roughly double.

“The transition from high-frequency, low-volume eruptions to low-frequency, high-volume eruptions suggests a fundamental change in the magma plumbing system,” Prof. Renne and his colleagues said.

This large volume of magma continued for 500,000 years after the end-Cretaceous mass extinction, which is similar to the timescale between extinction and the initial recovery of marine ecosystems. Therefore, the extinction may have resulted from the combined effects of both the asteroid collision and increased volcanic activity.

“If our high-precision dates continue to pin these three events – the impact, the extinction and the major pulse of volcanism – closer and closer together, people are going to have to accept the likelihood of a connection among them,” said Prof. Mark Richards, also from the University of California-Berkeley.

“The scenario we are suggesting – that the impact triggered the volcanism – does in fact reconcile what had previously appeared to be an unimaginable coincidence.”

_____

Paul R. Renne et al. 2015. State shift in Deccan volcanism at the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary, possibly induced by impact. Science, vol. 350, no. 6256, pp. 76-78; doi: 10.1126/science.aac7549

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology...act-03299.html
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-04-2015, 03:37 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Hey Guys!?!?! How about some real science!

There has been some debate in the past concerning the meteor impact and the Decan traps eruption. I have supported that the they are to some extent related events. Others have disagreed that the timing was off concerning the Decan traps eruption. Recent research has supported my view.

Source: http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/science-deccan-traps-volcanism-chicxulub-impact-03299.html

The new measurements of Deccan volcanic activity indicate a dramatic increase in the rate of eruption of the volcanoes within 50,000 years of the Chicxulub impact.

The team, led by Prof. Paul Renne of the University of California-Berkeley, used high-resolution argon dating of local igneous minerals.

“Based on our dating of the lavas, we can be pretty certain that the volcanism and the impact occurred within 50,000 years of the extinction, so it becomes somewhat artificial to distinguish between them as killing mechanisms: both phenomena were clearly at work at the same time,” explained Prof. Renne, lead author of a paper published in the journal Science.

“It is going to be basically impossible to ascribe actual atmospheric effects to one or the other. They both happened at the same time.”

The data, combined with the layering of rock, reveal that some subsections of the Deccan Traps region were already active before the asteroid/comet hit.

Following the collision, the mean eruption frequency of a particular subsection decreased dramatically, but the lava volume per single eruptive event increased, causing the mean magma eruption rate to roughly double.

“The transition from high-frequency, low-volume eruptions to low-frequency, high-volume eruptions suggests a fundamental change in the magma plumbing system,” Prof. Renne and his colleagues said.

This large volume of magma continued for 500,000 years after the end-Cretaceous mass extinction, which is similar to the timescale between extinction and the initial recovery of marine ecosystems. Therefore, the extinction may have resulted from the combined effects of both the asteroid collision and increased volcanic activity.

“If our high-precision dates continue to pin these three events – the impact, the extinction and the major pulse of volcanism – closer and closer together, people are going to have to accept the likelihood of a connection among them,” said Prof. Mark Richards, also from the University of California-Berkeley.

“The scenario we are suggesting – that the impact triggered the volcanism – does in fact reconcile what had previously appeared to be an unimaginable coincidence.”

_____

Paul R. Renne et al. 2015. State shift in Deccan volcanism at the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary, possibly induced by impact. Science, vol. 350, no. 6256, pp. 76-78; doi: 10.1126/science.aac7549

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology...act-03299.html
    Neat find.

That has been an area of debate for quite a while, given the relative closeness of the two events. So getting the origin of the Taps closer to Chicxulub is significant, I think.

So the dinosaurs got punched then gassed? No wonder some tried to fly away.

Comment

Never thought that it was an either/or situation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Never thought that it was an either/or situation.
        This pretty much confirms it was both!
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Actually it was sylas who most strongly objected to the Deccan Traps were involved or related to the meteor impact here in post #5: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...r-new-evidence

Frank

Comment