Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

This NY Times article makes me not want to be a "Modern Man"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    Hoo boy. Check out this nonsense: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fa...-man.html?_r=2

I'll respond to a few points:

I would love to have a daughter one day. For right now I have a son and he's awesome. By this logic, men like me who don't have daughters are not quite complete persons. What a load of crap.

Or maybe this and the other chore related things mentioned on this list are just common sense have nothing to do with being a modern man?

NO.

Or they can detect my mood by my heavy work boots from my blue collar job.

Except for when an intruder breaks into my home while my family is there. Then what will be between me and him will be a .38, .45, or 12 gauge shotgun. If he turns tail and runs, he gets to live. If he keeps walking towards me or any of my family, the trigger gets pulled.

I rarely ever cry. I've seen things other people have only seen in their nightmares from my time as an EMT so most things don't get to me. I believe that there are times, places, and situations for a man to cry, and those times are rare for most men. I feel bad for guys who cry at the drop of a hat (especially in public) because I know a lot of other guys will judge them and make fun of them for it and a lot of women will not desire them.
    It's articles like this that made me lose faith in main stream media. As if they get to decide what a "real man" is. The truth is that men will decide what a real man is, not some hack writing for a newspaper publication. Also notice the lack of articles telling you what a "real woman" is. I wonder why that is.
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      I can't explain why T-shirt identifies as a Brony.

Don't ask me why he's reading the Men's Style section.

Please, as a personal favor, and for his own good ... don't introduce him to Cosmo.
      ...as long as he doesn't identify as a clopper.

Last edited by Jedidiah; 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        ...as long as he doesn't identify as a clopper.

The Kardashians, twerking, and now this: yet another addition to the list of reasons to treasure one's blissful ignorance.

Thanks a lot, piglet.

Comment

I have managed until now without even hearing or reading that term. Thanks from me too, Pig.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            The Kardashians, twerking, and now this: yet another addition to the list of reasons to treasure one's blissful ignorance.

Thanks a lot, piglet.
            The origin of twerking:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26690-1367420370-19.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
              Hoo boy. Check out this nonsense: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fa...-man.html?_r=2

I'll respond to a few points:

I would love to have a daughter one day. For right now I have a son and he's awesome. By this logic, men like me who don't have daughters are not quite complete persons. What a load of crap.

Or maybe this and the other chore related things mentioned on this list are just common sense have nothing to do with being a modern man?

NO.

Or they can detect my mood by my heavy work boots from my blue collar job.

Except for when an intruder breaks into my home while my family is there. Then what will be between me and him will be a .38, .45, or 12 gauge shotgun. If he turns tail and runs, he gets to live. If he keeps walking towards me or any of my family, the trigger gets pulled.

I rarely ever cry. I've seen things other people have only seen in their nightmares from my time as an EMT so most things don't get to me. I believe that there are times, places, and situations for a man to cry, and those times are rare for most men. I feel bad for guys who cry at the drop of a hat (especially in public) because I know a lot of other guys will judge them and make fun of them for it and a lot of women will not desire them.
              This article is so ridiculous it should be from the 'Onion.'
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I agree--the article is all over the place. I thought of making a response, but ultimately, it's just one guy's opinion piece. In one eye and out the other.
                No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X