Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Books on Baptism - Any good ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on Baptism - Any good ones?

Thanks to a discussion in a Sunday Morning Bible Study I attend, I've got a topic of study I want to tackle (and, because of my track record, my bank account immediately started whimpering).

I'm looking for a book or two from the following perspectives:

Social Science (Specifically looking for something on Second-Temple Judaism's ideas on the topic)
    Catholic
    Orthodox
    Mainline Protestant
    Evangelical
    Popular Level

So, any recommendations?
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Everett Ferguson Baptism in the Early Church: History, Theology, and Liturgy in the First Five Centuries is good (massive, but good). He does go into Second-Temple Judaism's take on baptism. He's a Baptist, which shines through on occasion.

From an Orthodox perspective, Alexander Schmemann Of Water & the Spirit: A Liturgical Study of Baptism is probably good, though I haven't read it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I thought that second title looked familiar. Turns out I have a copy sitting on my nightstand, waiting patiently to be read.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        From an Orthodox perspective, Alexander Schmemann Of Water & the Spirit: A Liturgical Study of Baptism is probably good, though I haven't read it.
        I read this over the last couple of days. It's quite informative, but as an intended intra-Orthodox work, it may be a difficult read for someone not familiar with Orthodox practice.

Patristic works on baptism:

St. Basil

St. Pacian of Barcelona

Tertullian

St. Gregory the Theologian (Nazianzen)

St. Cyril of Jerusalem

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I read this over the last couple of days. It's quite informative, but as an intended intra-Orthodox work, it may be a difficult read for someone not familiar with Orthodox practice.

Patristic works on baptism:

St. Basil

St. Pacian of Barcelona

Tertullian

St. Gregory the Theologian (Nazianzen)

St. Cyril of Jerusalem
          Thanks for the recommendations, OBP. I'll take a gander when I get a chance.
          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X