Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Knife Control! Yep, Next After Gun Control!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Control! Yep, Next After Gun Control!

When guns are hard to obtain, will killings stop?

Jerusalem (AFP) - A Palestinian stabbed a Jewish man in Jerusalem on Thursday in the latest in a spate of knife attacks, defying Israeli attempts to contain escalating violence.

The stabbings have deeply unnerved Israelis and authorities have struggled to prevent them, with the suspects often young Palestinians believed to be acting on their own.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

How will we cut our food if we don't have knives? Oh, we also need to ban rocks. Or however it was that Cain killed Abel.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I predict that if we push for an increase in knife control then cutlery shops will quickly sell out their entire stock.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        When guns are hard to obtain, will killings stop?

Jerusalem (AFP) - A Palestinian stabbed a Jewish man in Jerusalem on Thursday in the latest in a spate of knife attacks, defying Israeli attempts to contain escalating violence.

The stabbings have deeply unnerved Israelis and authorities have struggled to prevent them, with the suspects often young Palestinians believed to be acting on their own.
        I think only the inverse fringe argue that all guns should be banned and that the killings will then stop. Moderates don't make such arguments but rather plead for more sensible laws.

The nut in Norway wouldn't have mowed down 80 people even with the sharpest machete.

http://www.businessinsider.com/shoot...-norway-2011-7

That you can't grasp the physical and logistical differences between blades and explosive projectiles surprises me.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          I think only the inverse fringe argue that all guns should be banned and that the killings will then stop. Moderates don't make such arguments but rather plead for more sensible laws.
          OK, what sensible law would work to end killings?

The nut in Norway wouldn't have mowed down 80 people even with the sharpest machete.

http://www.businessinsider.com/shoot...-norway-2011-7

That you can't grasp the physical and logistical differences between blades and explosive projectiles surprises me.
          Well, GEE, Whag, are people who are stabbed to death any LESS DEAD than those killed with guns? The fact that you can't grasp that does NOT surprise me.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, GEE, Whag, are people who are stabbed to death any LESS DEAD than those killed with guns? The fact that you can't grasp that does NOT surprise me.
            I don't think even the inverse fringe argue that blades can't sever arteries, and they're pretty stupid.

No, the issue is which is more dangerous: automatic weapons that can now down dozens at a time or katanas?

Comment

I don't think even the inverse fringe argue that blades can't sever arteries, and they're pretty stupid.

No, the issue is which is more dangerous: automatic weapons that can now down dozens at a time or katanas?
              No, the issue is (or SHOULD be) to find out what makes these whakos whako in the first place.

[satire]My guess is public education[/satire]

DRAT!

Comment

No, the issue is (or SHOULD be) to find out what makes these whakos whako in the first place.

[satire]My guess is public education[/satire]

DRAT!
                Liberals have traditionally supported more research into whackos. Liberals have traditionally supported more stringent restrictions preventing whackos from acquiring weapons that can kill dozens at a time.

Seems entirely reasonable to me and the rest of the world save for tiny pockets of whackos and ideologically twisted men.

Comment

Liberals have traditionally supported more research into whackos. Liberals have traditionally supported more stringent restrictions preventing whackos from acquiring weapons that can kill dozens at a time.

Seems entirely reasonable to me and the rest of the world save for tiny pockets of whackos and ideologically twisted men.
                  Yet, when a whacko goes on a killing spree, it's not about that "research" or the whackos - it's about "lets make new laws banning guns".

Comment

Ahem.

Source: GOP keeps in place funding ban on gun violence research. Rebecca Shabad. Hill.com 06/24/15

A GOP-led panel blocked a proposal Wednesday that would have reversed a nearly 20-year-old ban on funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to research on gun violence.

The House Appropriations Committee voted 32-19 against ranking member Rep. Nita Lowey's (D-N.Y.) amendment to a bill that would fund health, education and labor programs in the next fiscal year.

© Copyright Original Source

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Yet, when a whacko goes on a killing spree, it's not about that "research" or the whackos - it's about "lets make new laws banning guns".
                      That research is already taking place at universities. Suggest what further should be done. Be detailed. I'd probably support it.

No, the immediate problem is the insane availability of guns to whackos. Some whackos are legally acquiring them, and so we need a discussion to at least stop that.

Your guns are safe. No one is coming for them. Stop freaking out about the fringe and arguing with shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        Ahem.

Source: GOP keeps in place funding ban on gun violence research. Rebecca Shabad. Hill.com 06/24/15

A GOP-led panel blocked a proposal Wednesday that would have reversed a nearly 20-year-old ban on funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to research on gun violence.

The House Appropriations Committee voted 32-19 against ranking member Rep. Nita Lowey's (D-N.Y.) amendment to a bill that would fund health, education and labor programs in the next fiscal year.

This is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Ahem.

Politics. I'm SHOCKED!

Comment

That research is already taking place at universities. Suggest what further should be done. Be detailed. I'd probably support it.
                            You first!

Moderates don't make such arguments but rather plead for more sensible laws.

Comment

Politics. I'm SHOCKED!

See, this is why I can't take you seriously when you assert that you'd be comin' down on the NRA or Republicans or Conservatives if they were standing in the way of meaningful reform. Here's a prime example of you arguing that liberals don't want to focus on researching gun violence but just want to push gun control. Turns out that liberals have very consistently called for an end to the federal ban on researching gun violence and that Republicans, backed by the NRA and mostly of the Conservative-bent, have prevented that from happening.

Your response?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ That's politics, man!
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment