Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I Bought a Church This Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Bought a Church This Morning

OK, more accurately, I bought a Church BUILDING.

I told my wife (who loves "I Bought a Zoo") that I didn't buy a Zoo, but I did buy a Church!

We became aware that there was an old Catholic Church in a nearby town that had been abandoned by the Catholic Diocese of New Orleans about 10 years ago. It's a small building, about 1500 sq ft, on a small lot, but it went up for public auction.

I didn't know about it at that time, and there were no bids.

Meanwhile, in that same town, a new Church (body) had formed - an African-American pastor friend of mine and about 10 or 12 members. They had been meeting in the Chamber of Commerce, but can only do that for another couple of months.

We found out that the Catholic Church building had back taxes of $2,008. My Pastor friend went to the county office and found out that the county would sell that building for $1.00 and back taxes. So, when he called me, I told him "Let's go ahead and buy it, and I'll stand good for it". (I, of course, had in mind that my Church would bail me out )

Last night in our Business Meeting, I let my Church know that I had purchased a Church Building for an African-American congregation, and they laughed and thought it was great. They were thrilled to "bail me out", and wanted to know what else they could do to help.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

That's Awesome! That's what we should be about...enabling the Gospel to be preached by duplication! Great news CP!
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

what will it take to fix it up where they can meet there?

just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        what will it take to fix it up where they can meet there?

just curious.
        I'll be posting some pictures and progress reports here... thanks for asking! Still doing the paperwork and assessing the situation.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, the wheels of government turn slowly. We've done all we can, now it's up to the Sheriff to post notices, file papers, and wait. We're told it takes approximately three weeks for "the process", so we won't be able to take possession until then.

HOWSOMEVER!!!!! God is good, and it's just a matter of time!

Comment

oh. are the inhabitants larger than a loaf of bread?

Comment

Yep, closet Catholic.
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Awesome, and may a irepeat a prayer that was prayed over our church building (that is true today): May it grow too small for God's purposes.
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

So, update --- I get to meet the pastor in the morning, AND.... It's not a former CATHOLIC Church - when we actually got to see the paperwork, it was an ANGLICAN Church.

Our Church is getting a new Church Sign, and this congregation wants our old one.

AND, we discovered there are TWO buildings on the property that are included in the sale, and it's right across the street from First Baptist Church of the same town.

church.jpeg

The building at the far right is First Baptist Church, the building at the right is the building we bought, and the building to the left is a bonus building - included in the deal, and will need some fixing up, obviously.

inside pews.jpeg
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-14-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    Yep, closet Catholic.
                    Am I now a closet Anglican?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Am I now a closet Anglican?
                      It looks low Anglican, so you're probably safe.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        It looks low Anglican, so you're probably safe.
                        Thanks, coach! I feel so much better.

Comment

It looks like a pretty nice little place there.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            So, update --- I get to meet the pastor in the morning, AND.... It's not a former CATHOLIC Church - when we actually got to see the paperwork, it was an ANGLICAN Church.

Our Church is getting a new Church Sign, and this congregation wants our old one.

AND, we discovered there are TWO buildings on the property that are included in the sale, and it's right across the street from First Baptist Church of the same town.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10601[/ATTACH]

The building at the far right is First Baptist Church, the building at the right is the building we bought, and the building to the left is a bonus building - included in the deal, and will need some fixing up, obviously.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10602[/ATTACH]
                            woah. Looking at the eves on the middle building I see a lot of wood rot. It's gonna be expensive to fix up. Hopefully some of your congregation can do some of the work at no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              woah. Looking at the eves on the middle building I see a lot of wood rot. It's gonna be expensive to fix up. Hopefully some of your congregation can do some of the work at no charge.
                              After being abandoned for 10 years it will require a lot of work but still looks to be in relatively good shape. Have you had an electrician check it out?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment