Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liberals Introduce Plan for Gun Safety - Similar to Safe Sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, cause "proposals" are just talk.
    Well, again, it seems you're coming from a place that's just focused on finding some fault, post-by-post, without so much as bothering to keep your fault-finding consistent over the spread of even half a dozen posts.

This has been ... an experience, I guess.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Well, again, it seems you're coming from a place that's just focused on finding some fault...
      Actually, I think it's hypocrisy for liberals to be using accidental deaths of children as a cause celeb for gun control when it would seem a whole lot more reasonable to teach children about guns and gun safety.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually, I think it's hypocrisy for liberals to be using accidental deaths of children as a cause celeb for gun control when it would seem a whole lot more reasonable to teach children about guns and gun safety.
        What? A lot, probably most, of those cases involve kids under the age of 10. You think we should be teaching four year-olds safe sex, too, since sexual abuse crimes involving children occur?
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

What? A lot, probably most, of those cases involve kids under the age of 10.
          No charts and graphs, eh?

You think we should be teaching four year-olds safe sex, too, since sexual abuse crimes involving children occur?
          wow

I think I'll wait til you're a little less nutty, Sam.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No charts and graphs, eh?

wow

I think I'll wait til you're a little less nutty, Sam.
            Yeah, it doesn't make sense and it's more than a little inappropriate. But then, that's exactly the logic you're employing when you wrote:

Originally posted by CP

If liberals are being hypocritical for calling attention to the accidental deaths of children who get their hands on guns while not implementing school-based gun safety lessons, they (and everyone else) are being hypocritical for calling attention to sexual abuse of children while not teaching sex safety lessons. Most reasonable people would argue the alternative: that kids shouldn't be exposed to sex or handling a gun until they are considerably older so school lessons aren't the solution to the problem.

Comment

If liberals are being hypocritical for calling attention to the accidental deaths of children who get their hands on guns while not implementing school-based gun safety lessons....
              No, Sam, that's not it. It's that liberals are spending all their energy on making guns disappear - which ain't gonna happen - and not actually doing anything about teaching children about the dangers of mishandling guns. That, while using children as one of the reasons they want to grab guns.

And your totally crappy comment about me only going along with 100% NRA approved stuff.... If the liberals DID focus on gun safety, and NRA opposed it (that's a stretch) I'd be on their case just as much.

Comment

No, Sam, that's not it. It's that liberals are spending all their energy on making guns disappear - which ain't gonna happen -
                Which is probably why exactly zero liberal politicians have advanced any policy or platform proposals that would have anything like the effect of "making guns disappear." That's just clear, distilled nonsense. Even those of us who do argue that we'd be better off savagely reducing the number of guns and drastically limiting who could have access to them, even if it takes the repeal of the Second Amendment, don't argue that guns should or can disappear. Nor do we argue that we would reject even small measures of gun regulation.

The answer to children shooting other children with unsecured guns isn't to try and teach a six or even ten year-old how not to play with guns. It's to make the penalties for adults who leave guns loaded and unsecured around children onerous enough to change the adults' behavior.

Comment

No, Sam, that's not it. It's that liberals are spending all their energy on making guns disappear - which ain't gonna happen - and not actually doing anything about teaching children about the dangers of mishandling guns. That, while using children as one of the reasons they want to grab guns.

And your totally crappy comment about me only going along with 100% NRA approved stuff.... If the liberals DID focus on gun safety, and NRA opposed it (that's a stretch) I'd be on their case just as much.
                  Sam just needs a boogeyman and the NRA makes a convenient boogeyman. In reality (IE the non ultra liberal sources that Sam seems to read), the NRA is actually pretty big advocates of gun safety and offers tons of courses, all over the nation, dealing specifically with gun safety. That doesn't fit the narrative, so that reality is ignored and pushed down the memory hole. Facts do not matter, emotions do and emotions rule the gun grabbers and their beliefs. Since I doubt he'll believe me, this is taken straight from their web site:

Hummm, nothing in there about shooting anybody. It's almost as if reality is miles away from whatever the gun grabbers seem to assume.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-08-2015, 09:33 PM.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The answer to children shooting other children with unsecured guns isn't to try and teach a six or even ten year-old how not to play with guns. It's to make the penalties for adults who leave guns loaded and unsecured around children onerous enough to change the adults' behavior.
                    That's just asinine. Dumb. Why not BOTH?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      Sam just needs a boogeyman and the NRA makes a convenient boogeyman. In reality (IE the non ultra liberal sources that Sam seems to read), the NRA is actually pretty big advocates of gun safety and offers tons of courses, all over the nation, dealing specifically with gun safety. That doesn't fit the narrative, so that reality is ignored and pushed down the memory hole. Facts do not matter, emotions do and emotions rule the gun grabbers and their beliefs.
                      I was going to suggest that liberals invite the NRA to do the gun safety classes, but, gee... Sam would have another meltdown! (I already made him cuss )

And, yeah, back in the day, I taught bunches of NRA safety courses, as well as community stuff as the PD's Range Safety Officer.

Comment

Hummm interesting because I have showed our 3 year old what our guns look like and have made it clear that she is not to touch or play with any of ours or ones she might end up running into elsewhere. Hiding guns and pretending they don't exist is asking for disaster. The obvious answer seems to be both, but yet again... reality and you seem miles away.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I was going to suggest that liberals invite the NRA to do the gun safety classes, but, gee... Sam would have another meltdown! (I already made him cuss )

And, yeah, back in the day, I taught bunches of NRA safety courses, as well as community stuff as the PD's Range Safety Officer.
                          You're asking Sam to actually READ what the NRA says and teaches instead of what he mindlessly believes the NRA says and believers based on what the talking heads on MSNBC say? That's nonsense, next think you know you'll expect him to actually refute what you said vs refuting what he wants to hear. Gun safety is among the NRA's most important programs and something many gun makers believe and practice. Every gun I've bought came with one of those gun safety handbooks and half of the training I've had is into safety because you're dealing with a deadly weapon that can kill or injury people. Why anybody, in their right mind, would seriously think a major organization (such as the NRA) would oppose gun safety is beyond reason and shouldn't be taken seriously in the least.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Hummm interesting because I have showed our 3 year old what our guns look like and have made it clear that she is not to touch or play with any of ours or ones she might end up running into elsewhere. Hiding guns and pretending they don't exist is asking for disaster. The obvious answer seems to be both, but yet again... reality and you seem miles away.
                            I think that's the point... WHILE they're working towards "gun control", it seems like they have to "either/or" everything. It's like, well, GEE, if we do something that actually works, then we lose our 'Rahm's law*' advantage.

*'Never Let a Serious Crisis Go to Waste'

Comment

I think that's the point... WHILE they're working towards "gun control", it seems like they have to "either/or" everything. It's like, well, GEE, if we do something that actually works, then we lose our 'Rahm's law*' advantage.

Democrats aren't the absolutists in this farce:

Source: Senate rejects expanded gun background checks. Ted Barrett and Tom Cohen, CNN. 2013.04.18

The votes were on a series of amendments to a broad package of gun laws pushed by President Barack Obama and Democratic leaders in the aftermath of the Newtown school massacre in December.

However, fierce opposition by the powerful National Rifle Association led a backlash by conservative Republicans and a few Democrats from pro-gun states that doomed key proposals in the gun package, even after they had been watered down to try to satisfy opponents.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Gun grabbers don't think in reality, they think in extremes. My parents didn't hide guns from us and taught all three of us, at a young age, what a gun was and that it wasn't a toy to play with. Hiding them around the house and pretending they don't exist is where disaster comes from. You teach your kid not to touch a hot stove, you don't hide the stove and pretend that hot things don't exist, so why would you go about hidings guns and pretending they don't exist? It's absurd nonsense like this, that makes me know that Sam and his kind have not a clue what they are talking about and clearly get their beliefs from other people, who don't know what they are talking about.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment