Not a good situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I like to watch People's Court. That's the judge's favourite way of saying, "write it down".

Laughing. My favorite way, of late, is just to send a quick email summarizing the discussion. Usually, the other party will reply with "OK", or "well, except that I agreed to ...." or something like that. If it's something I think might be important later, I "clip" it with Evernote - which is my handy dandy "remember this stuff" utility. It has saved a lot of frustration over the years.

I actually had a neighbor get "mad" at me because I built a fence between our properties at my own expense. He claimed we agreed to SPLIT the cost. I sent him a copy of the email in which we had agreed that he would use his backhoe to clean out my stock tank, and I would build the fence at my expense. He had forgotten that part, and was happy again. I know - small matter, but "good fences make good neighbors".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Judges like emails and texts, too. I am old-school, and although I do text and email, I like to have good old hard copy with a signature on it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Judges like emails and texts, too. I am old-school, and although I do text and email, I like to have good old hard copy with a signature on it.
        I think the reason they like emails and texts is that they are automatically "dated and signed" (so to speak) by the infrastructure. I could forge your signature, or "back date" an "agreement" -- but an email is pretty hard to fake (except, of course, for the really technically able, but even then, there are often ways to expose the fraud) In an email exchange, for example, I might be able to prove "look, i offered, and she immediately accepted - within less than a minute!"

You have, in effect, a third party endorsing the agreement. Kinda like we used to do in the old days with a Notary Public.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Your friend is in a precarious situation. With the woman's economic situation, she can claim lack of anywhere else to go for any length of time. In addition, the woman could accuse the friend of rape at any time and (in this day and age) he would be guilty until proven innocent. Whether she's paying rent or not, I would call the police, a locksmith and a lawyer. The police to evict her, the locksmith to change the locks, and a lawyer to make sure all his bases are covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorching Wizard View Post
            Your friend is in a precarious situation. With the woman's economic situation, she can claim lack of anywhere else to go for any length of time. In addition, the woman could accuse the friend of rape at any time and (in this day and age) he would be guilty until proven innocent. Whether she's paying rent or not, I would call the police, a locksmith and a lawyer. The police to evict her, the locksmith to change the locks, and a lawyer to make sure all his bases are covered.
            The bolded part (my bolding) is, unfortunately, quite a powerful factor. I am ALWAYS conscious of my surroundings at Church, for example, when a woman wants "counseling", and comes into my office. I won't allow that for this very reason - either my wife or secretary or ANYBODY else needs to be in the room, or within eyesight / earshot of that situation.

It's a cold sick world, but that's the reality of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
              Are there laws in certain states that say that there must be a certain amount of days between the home owner telling his tenants to move out and the deadline to move out?
              Only if there is a binding lease agreement.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Can my friend's church discipline him if he takes too long to get woman and child to move out?

Comment

They should first approach him about it and perhaps they could help. Before jumping on him see what they can do to help.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    They should first approach him about it and perhaps they could help. Before jumping on him see what they can do to help.
                    Jesus lays that out in Matt 18:15-17, which is what I believe Jed is referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
                      Can my friend's church discipline him if he takes too long to get woman and child to move out?
                      Discipline him?? How? Do you guys have church police??

Comment

I don't think they should discipline him if he is doing everything he can to get her out.

Originally posted by SW
                        Not police. But there is a proscribed way of churches to confront those church members who are sinning.

I don't see the young man sinning in this instance. But he does need to be working on getting the lady and her child out of his house.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorching Wizard View Post
                          I think it's the woman's husband who needs the discipline.

But, "Church Discipline" is the name commonly given to the scripture I referenced. And the purpose is to redeem somebody who is straying, and to keep order in the Church.

In addition to Jesus' teaching in Matt 18, Paul instructed the saints in Rome to watch for those "who are causing divisions" (Rom 16:17) and the entire 5th Chapter of 1 Corinthians deals with the matter of discipline. Also, we have 2 Thess 3:6, 15, and 15, Galatians 6, and Titus 3:10.

Comment