Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How would pro-choicers respond to this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would pro-choicers respond to this?

Some pro-choicers make this argument:

Suppose that you are in need of a kidney transplant in order to survive, and that your mother is the only person who can provide you with a kidney and hence preserve your life. Do you have a right to use your mother's kidney? The answer is "No." Since you do not have the right to use your mother's kidney, a fetus would not have the right to use his or her mother's uterus. Hence, it would be morally permissible for the mother to get an abortion.

Some pro-lifers respond by saying:

The analogy between the person needing a kidney and pregnancy is not a good analogy. The uterus exists for another person's body. The womb was designed to provide nourishment for another human being. A particular kidney was designed for the particular person who has the kidney. It was not designed for anyone except for the person who has it.

How would pro-choicers respond to the response of the pro-lifers?

The baby didn't magically appear in the mother's uterus one day and start sucking life-force from her like some alien. The baby is there because of direct actions take by the mother, and her uterus is actually designed to host and grow offspring so it is doing what it is supposed to do. It is nothing like stealing someone's organs without permission to keep you alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The baby didn't magically appear in the mother's uterus one day and start sucking life-force from her like some alien. The baby is there because of direct actions take by the mother, and her uterus is actually designed to host and grow offspring so it is doing what it is supposed to do. It is nothing like stealing someone's organs without permission to keep you alive.
      That. I'm housing one right now. Deliberately. This is the third one, and believe me I know how they all got there. I think the argument is VERY weak by pro-choicers and an attempt to escape the "consequence" for one's actions. If you can't raise one, or do not want to, then do not put yourself in a situation where you would have to. This idea of responsibility seems to be too great for society.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        That. I'm housing one right now. Deliberately. This is the third one, and believe me I know how they all got there. I think the argument is VERY weak by pro-choicers and an attempt to escape the "consequence" for one's actions. If you can't raise one, or do not want to, then do not put yourself in a situation where you would have to. This idea of responsibility seems to be too great for society.
        Awww... how old is your baby?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          Awww... how old is your baby?
          I'm 7 weeks pregnant and the one born last year is 15 months old
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            The woman has effectively given permission for the use of her uterus in any case, by inviting the new person in.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              The woman has effectively given permission for the use of her uterus in any case, by inviting the new person in.
              and think about all those evil born-already children that drain their parent's bank accounts and actually depend on adults to live. They suck away my taxes, make us educate them, want presents celebrating the day they left their host body, and so on. They should just be kicked out into the world to fend for themselves.

Comment

Why not post this where pro-choicers can respond themselves? It's their views you want, after all, right?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and the one born last year is 15 months old
                  So, still a little embryo? Are embryos less hassle than a toddler?

Comment

So, still a little embryo? Are embryos less hassle than a toddler?
                    One makes me gag a lot and the other one makes me run after her to keep up Its a balancing act. The oldest I have to keep on her to do her homework

To all pro-choicers. MOTHER HOOD IS SELF SACRIFICE
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post

Suppose that you are in need of a kidney transplant in order to survive, and that your mother is the only person who can provide you with a kidney and hence preserve your life. Do you have a right to use your mother's kidney? The answer is "No." Since you do not have the right to use your mother's kidney, a fetus would not have the right to use his or her mother's uterus. Hence, it would be morally permissible for the mother to get an abortion.

The analogy between the person needing a kidney and pregnancy is not a good analogy. The uterus exists for another person's body. The womb was designed to provide nourishment for another human being. A particular kidney was designed for the particular person who has the kidney. It was not designed for anyone except for the person who has it.

In answer to your question, they would respond basically 'is, too'. The analogy fails on its face, so they are left pretending that it isn't a total Failure.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Why is it a crime for parents to abandon their young children? Infants/toddlers/preschoolers can be annoying and hard to care for. And they're a lot more noisy than an unborn baby...

Disclaimer: I am NOT advocating that it be okay to force young children to fend for themselves and starve to death/accidentally kill themselves(young kids don't really have the ability to keep themselves from making lethal choices). That would be horrible.
                        Last edited by Christianbookworm; 10-14-2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Why is it a crime for parents to abandon their young children? Infants/toddlers/preschoolers can be annoying and hard to care for. And they're a lot more noisy than an unborn baby...

Disclaimer: I am NOT advocating that it be okay to force young children to fend for themselves and starve to death/accidentally kill themselves(young kids don't really have the ability to keep themselves from making lethal choices). That would be horrible.
                          Good question.... I would start a thread about that one.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good question.... I would start a thread about that one.
                            I'm being sarcastic! I bet pro choicers would claim that parents can always get someone else to take care of a baby after birth, but there can be no babysitters for an unborn baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post

An artificially concocted argument pro-choicers would not make,
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment