Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

My friend Audrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend Audrey

She turned 88 this past April. Her sweet husband is 90.

Audrey was my friend, my sister in Christ, and my mentor. She hosted Bible studies at her home until May of this year, where a few of us met every week to learn and fellowship. Probably for some 40 years. Almost as long as I have known her. I was "teacher" at the studies, and I always felt as if she ought to be the one leading, but she ever took that place of hostess instead.

She had such a sweet, gentle spirit, and her love for Christ was apparent in all that she did. She was always interested in YOUR children, YOUR grandchildren, YOUR life. Loved to see pictures of The Girl. She often looked after my daughter when she was a toddler while I taught some of the Bible studies. MelMak tried to teach her the basics of computer usage.

She was active in her church, and went every week up until the middle of August of this year to the local nursing home to visit and sing hymns, even with people she didn't know. She was very talented craftwise, and that was also part of our affinity. She was always making things for other people. When my parents had their 50th anniversary in 1990, Audrey made silk flower corsage and buttonniere for them, and refused to take any payment for either supplies or her time. I made her a small counted cross-stitch picture in thanksgiving, and she has had it on one of her walls every since.

Audrey had really bad osteoporosis. Since last Christmas, she had broken several ribs, twice, just from bending over, fallen and broken her wrist, and had several other falls. In August, she went into hospital, where they tried to get her to do physio and other things to strengthen her and get her going again. When it became apparent that nothing was going to help her, she was moved almost a month ago to a nursing home. The same one she visited for decades.

She was not eating, and was taking painkillers for back pain, the cause of which no one seems to know, aside from one of her falls. I visited her 10 days ago. She didn't know me, just that I am "her friend". I held her hand and prayed with her. I knew that her time here was not much longer, and my prayer has been that she not linger in pain or suffering.

I learned this morning that Audrey passed away last night. She just slipped away. And is Home, healed, and rejoicing in the presence of our King.

Thank you, Audrey, for your presence in my life. I look forward to that day when we will meet again and sing together for the Lord.
    Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 12:35 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

May she rest in peace. You will meet her again one day Mossy.

Comment

I know, Sparky.

And I am strangely (well, not really, because I know where she is and I know she is in God's arms) at peace and so thankful that she didn't linger in suffering anymore.

I pray now for her husband. He is extremely self-sufficient, and cared for Audrey and did everything for her. I know he will be fine, but they have been together for a very long time, I think about 65 years, and I know he will miss her badly.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sad to have to say goodbye to good friends. Thanks goodness there is comfort for us in our Savior.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I found this poem quite a long time ago, by Henry van Dyke.

It is a fitting tribute to Audrey, and to any believer who goes on before us.

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
                spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
                for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
                I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
                of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
                hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
                And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
                there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
                ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

Comment

If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I found this poem quite a long time ago, by Henry van Dyke.

It is a fitting tribute to Audrey, and to any believer who goes on before us.
                    That's the one the preacher read at my mom's funeral this past February. I have it over my desk.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      That's the one the preacher read at my mom's funeral this past February. I have it over my desk.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X