Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Written Prayers - or do you wing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    That's a parody of scripture, not prayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Sometimes, on a Sunday Morning, I'll just mention that too many times we use prayer to "tattle on people" or to ask for "stuff", or to tell God how to solve problems, or "whatever" --- and remind people that sometimes we just need to come to the Lord with a prayer of thanksgiving.

On those occasions, I'll just ask that we "bow in prayer", and anybody who wants to can just call out something for which they are thankful, or thank God for something or somebody --- there have been some incredibly sweet times like that.
      I always hate the "let's hold hands and take turns praying" circle. AAWWKWARD.

Comment

I once did a service of nothing but a few songs and the various types of prayer. Some unison, some written, some free form (congregation), some requests and a full minute of silence for silent prayer.

One lady really liked it. I'd like to do something like that again but not as a lay speaker.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yeah, we used to do that, but I always told people "if you would like to 'pass', just squeeze the hand of the next person, and they can continue praying". But, yeah, that seems to have been somewhat of a fad or something, I guess.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            I once did a service of nothing but a few songs and the various types of prayer. Some unison, some written, some free form (congregation), some requests and a full minute of silence for silent prayer.

One lady really liked it. I'd like to do something like that again but not as a lay speaker.
            We did a "catacomb service" occasionally, usually in the winter cause it gets dark early, but on Sunday nights, have all the lights off with a few candles here and there, and we would sing a song or two that we "planned", but then anybody could start a song (and we'd all sing) or read (or quote) a scripture, or pray....

Those were some really good times. And it was interesting how a "theme" would emerge, not necessarily planned by us.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, we used to do that, but I always told people "if you would like to 'pass', just squeeze the hand of the next person, and they can continue praying". But, yeah, that seems to have been somewhat of a fad or something, I guess.
              Yeah I was never good at praying out loud in front of others. I like to just "think" to God, and about God, and thank him, ask him for advice, etc. I tend to do it throughout the day and then do a goodnight prayer when I go to bed.

Comment

I say to each his own, whichever they perform best with. My Baptist background raised me to dislike written prayers, but I don't believe that can be justified Scripturally. And I personally use the Psalms (whichever ones I have memorized) a lot, even in my private prayers, as I am hopelessly poor at coming up with the appropriate words.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
                  ... as I am hopelessly poor at coming up with the appropriate words.
                  That's when the Holy Spirit can intervene with groanings!

Romans 8 [26]*Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

NIV: [26]*In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

Comment

Depended next to whom I was sitting in youth group. Sometimes if you plan things right...

Comment

And someone always stole my prayer!

As far as I go, though, sometimes I use something like The Lord's Prayer if I'm at a loss at how to form sentences or I know I'll be too rambly otherwise. Otherwise I just wing it. Mostly I just kind of think about God throughout the day, sometimes praying for strength if I'm having a tough time or forgiveness when I realize I just made a mistake. If I work out, I specifically end my workout with a prayer of thanksgiving for the strong, healthy body He has given me.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        I generally just wing it, but I can see how written prayers could be helpful (like OBP said). Perhaps it's each in its place.
                        Amen (the new TWeb version)
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Yeah - amen
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                            Depended next to whom I was sitting in youth group. Sometimes if you plan things right...
                            Yeah!

Comment

"Wing it" while writing.
                              For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                                Otherwise I just wing it.
                                I always want to pray

"Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that we stop these awkward prayer circle thingies and just pray together silently or have one person lead us in a prayer instead. Amen!"

Comment