Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mormons in Walmart

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Mormons in Walmart

My wife and I went to Walmart last night, and she went toward the back of the store to round up some TP and PT. I was hanging around the produce area.

Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area. One of the guys looked a bit nervous - he kept looking around like he was out of place, or was concerned about people seeing him there.

When the skinny guy headed over to the bananas, the chunky guy was within reach, and I just asked him, "You're not really comfortable with this whole Mormon thing, are you?" He looked surprised, and said, "How do you know that?" I was surprised by his response - I thought he would be more defensive.

I pressed on. I said, "I think you're having second thoughts, and wondering if you made the right decision by going on this mission". He asked, "you know I'm on a mission?" (of course, that was pretty obvious)

I told him I'd really love to talk to him, and handed him one of my business cards, which he immediately slid into his pocket. His buddy was on the way back over from the fresh baked bread section, and asked, "What's going on here?" The chunky guy just shrugged it off and said "we were just talking". The skinny guy kinda stepped between me and the chunky guy and said, "we need to do that together".

I just looked at the chunky guy and asked, "Why do you think that is? Why do you think you're being kept from talking to somebody who God led to speak to you?" He slid his hand back in his pocket, and I thought he was going to give my business card back to me, but he didn't. He just stood there with his hand in his pocket, til his buddy kinda turned him away from me and said, "we need to go now".

They walked back to the entrance/exit without buying anything, and as they went through the door, the chunky guy looked back. I know it was corny, but I did the "call me" thing.

I hope he does, but he'll have to find an opportunity to do so without his buddy, apparently.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him until he goes home from his mission. He doesn't have his own phone to use until then, and the use of the church-issued phone he and his companion share is very closely monitored. His companion will not let him have it unsupervised, even if he didn't think he was going to sneak off and call someone secretly. If your email address is on the card, it is more likely you'll hear from him that way if he contacts you before the end of his mission. They are allowed to email their familes once per week, but they have to be able to see each other's screen at all times. Hopefully all the campanion will see is an email and not look too closely. I've had some be sneaky and email me whilst on their mission in the past. Apparently now they are allowed to use Facebook too (for proselytising purposes), but I don't know how widespread that is yet (they only allowed it in certain areas at first).

Praying for your new friend, I hope he does get a chance to talk to you.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Praying for your new friend, I hope he does get a chance to talk to you."

Ditto/Seconded.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area.
    By their fruit you shall know them.

5. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area.
    By their fruit you shall know them.
    His buddy was on the way back over from the fresh baked bread section, and asked, "What's going on here?"
    And man cannot live by bread alone.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

7. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    interesting.

May God give him the chance to call you or talk to another strong Christian.

9. Amen RumTumTugger, LostSheep, Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him until he goes home from his mission. He doesn't have his own phone to use until then, and the use of the church-issued phone he and his companion share is very closely monitored. His companion will not let him have it unsupervised, even if he didn't think he was going to sneak off and call someone secretly. If your email address is on the card, it is more likely you'll hear from him that way if he contacts you before the end of his mission. They are allowed to email their familes once per week, but they have to be able to see each other's screen at all times. Hopefully all the campanion will see is an email and not look too closely. I've had some be sneaky and email me whilst on their mission in the past. Apparently now they are allowed to use Facebook too (for proselytising purposes), but I don't know how widespread that is yet (they only allowed it in certain areas at first).

Praying for your new friend, I hope he does get a chance to talk to you.

11. Amen LostSheep amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    They sure are a paranoid lot...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He called me. He wants to meet for coffee next week. Yeah, he said "coffee".

15. Amen Cerebrum123, mossrose, One Bad Pig, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    that's encouraging. Offer him some whiskey and see what he does.