Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Mormons in Walmart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mormons in Walmart

My wife and I went to Walmart last night, and she went toward the back of the store to round up some TP and PT. I was hanging around the produce area.

Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area. One of the guys looked a bit nervous - he kept looking around like he was out of place, or was concerned about people seeing him there.

When the skinny guy headed over to the bananas, the chunky guy was within reach, and I just asked him, "You're not really comfortable with this whole Mormon thing, are you?" He looked surprised, and said, "How do you know that?" I was surprised by his response - I thought he would be more defensive.

I pressed on. I said, "I think you're having second thoughts, and wondering if you made the right decision by going on this mission". He asked, "you know I'm on a mission?" (of course, that was pretty obvious)

I told him I'd really love to talk to him, and handed him one of my business cards, which he immediately slid into his pocket. His buddy was on the way back over from the fresh baked bread section, and asked, "What's going on here?" The chunky guy just shrugged it off and said "we were just talking". The skinny guy kinda stepped between me and the chunky guy and said, "we need to do that together".

I just looked at the chunky guy and asked, "Why do you think that is? Why do you think you're being kept from talking to somebody who God led to speak to you?" He slid his hand back in his pocket, and I thought he was going to give my business card back to me, but he didn't. He just stood there with his hand in his pocket, til his buddy kinda turned him away from me and said, "we need to go now".

They walked back to the entrance/exit without buying anything, and as they went through the door, the chunky guy looked back. I know it was corny, but I did the "call me" thing.

I hope he does, but he'll have to find an opportunity to do so without his buddy, apparently.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him until he goes home from his mission. He doesn't have his own phone to use until then, and the use of the church-issued phone he and his companion share is very closely monitored. His companion will not let him have it unsupervised, even if he didn't think he was going to sneak off and call someone secretly. If your email address is on the card, it is more likely you'll hear from him that way if he contacts you before the end of his mission. They are allowed to email their familes once per week, but they have to be able to see each other's screen at all times. Hopefully all the campanion will see is an email and not look too closely. I've had some be sneaky and email me whilst on their mission in the past. Apparently now they are allowed to use Facebook too (for proselytising purposes), but I don't know how widespread that is yet (they only allowed it in certain areas at first).

Praying for your new friend, I hope he does get a chance to talk to you.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

"Praying for your new friend, I hope he does get a chance to talk to you."

Ditto/Seconded.
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area.
        By their fruit you shall know them.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area.
          By their fruit you shall know them.
          His buddy was on the way back over from the fresh baked bread section, and asked, "What's going on here?"
          And man cannot live by bread alone.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

interesting.

May God give him the chance to call you or talk to another strong Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              Don't be surprised if you don't hear from him until he goes home from his mission. He doesn't have his own phone to use until then, and the use of the church-issued phone he and his companion share is very closely monitored. His companion will not let him have it unsupervised, even if he didn't think he was going to sneak off and call someone secretly. If your email address is on the card, it is more likely you'll hear from him that way if he contacts you before the end of his mission. They are allowed to email their familes once per week, but they have to be able to see each other's screen at all times. Hopefully all the campanion will see is an email and not look too closely. I've had some be sneaky and email me whilst on their mission in the past. Apparently now they are allowed to use Facebook too (for proselytising purposes), but I don't know how widespread that is yet (they only allowed it in certain areas at first).

Praying for your new friend, I hope he does get a chance to talk to you.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

They sure are a paranoid lot...
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

He called me. He wants to meet for coffee next week. Yeah, he said "coffee".

Comment

that's encouraging. Offer him some whiskey and see what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      that's encouraging. Offer him some whiskey and see what he does.
                      It's funny - I didn't think about the "coffee" comment until I hung up.

Comment

It's funny - I didn't think about the "coffee" comment until I hung up.
                        are mormon's allowed to drink decaf?

Comment

He called me. He wants to meet for coffee next week. Yeah, he said "coffee".
                          They can go and get a soda or some milk or something... just to have you in a comfortable place.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

My wife and I went to Walmart last night, and she went toward the back of the store to round up some TP and PT. I was hanging around the produce area.

Two Mormon "elders" came in - 'in uniform' - and began perusing the fresh fruit area. One of the guys looked a bit nervous - he kept looking around like he was out of place, or was concerned about people seeing him there.

When the skinny guy headed over to the bananas, the chunky guy was within reach, and I just asked him, "You're not really comfortable with this whole Mormon thing, are you?" He looked surprised, and said, "How do you know that?" I was surprised by his response - I thought he would be more defensive.

I pressed on. I said, "I think you're having second thoughts, and wondering if you made the right decision by going on this mission". He asked, "you know I'm on a mission?" (of course, that was pretty obvious)

I told him I'd really love to talk to him, and handed him one of my business cards, which he immediately slid into his pocket. His buddy was on the way back over from the fresh baked bread section, and asked, "What's going on here?" The chunky guy just shrugged it off and said "we were just talking". The skinny guy kinda stepped between me and the chunky guy and said, "we need to do that together".

I just looked at the chunky guy and asked, "Why do you think that is? Why do you think you're being kept from talking to somebody who God led to speak to you?" He slid his hand back in his pocket, and I thought he was going to give my business card back to me, but he didn't. He just stood there with his hand in his pocket, til his buddy kinda turned him away from me and said, "we need to go now".

They walked back to the entrance/exit without buying anything, and as they went through the door, the chunky guy looked back. I know it was corny, but I did the "call me" thing.

I hope he does, but he'll have to find an opportunity to do so without his buddy, apparently.
                            I'm very proud of you, Creacher. Thank you for reaching out to him. That means the world to me.
                            I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                              I'm very proud of you, Creacher. Thank you for reaching out to him. That means the world to me.
                              Thanks, Punkinhead.... keep us in your prayers. So far, he hasn't called back, but I'm encouraged, and looking forward to sitting down with him. Obviously, he's been thinking about this.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X