Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Teleology of the Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam View Post
    I doubt that what you quoted condemns the thinking processes of ancient religions. I think it exposes the "thinking processes" of he who wrote it.
    classic non-answer. Therefore any ancient religion, church or variation, cult or sect may be logically the only 'true way.'

None of their ancient teleology world views are compatible with cosmology and science of our physical existence. The closest match id views like Taoism, Buddhism, which make no assumptions that would conflict with modern science.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-28-2015, 11:03 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Frank, gather your thoughts, please.
      The Post #28 does not mention "ancient religion(s)" at all. Why do you assume it does? The word "myths"?
      I can't figure out what he IS saying, and I don't dare ask him to try to explain, because he may try.
      Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Frank, gather your thoughts, please.
        The Post #28 does not mention "ancient religion(s)" at all. Why do you assume it does? The word "myths"?
        I can't figure out what he IS saying, and I don't dare ask him to try to explain, because he may try.
        When you are referring to 'myths' as far as I am concerned were in the realm of ancient history. I am to a certain extent uncertain also what he was referring to, but I know what I am referring to. It is the ancient myths of the Pentateuch which form the foundation of doctrines of Christianity.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Now you're specifying "Pentateuch". Again, not in his quote. You expect us to read your mind.
          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            Knowledge is what is believed being true. If what is believed is true, but how that belief came about is not true. Then the reasons for the knowledge is not true knowledge. The reasons are false the knowledge is true. Myths believed to be true history are a false knowledge about what is real history. But a story believed to be a myth, is knowledge that the story is a myth.

Bottom line, what we know or think we know is what we believe. What we believe to be true.

Belief does not make anything true. But belief is what knowledge consists of.
            I'd have to disagree with you here. Belief has nothing to do with knowledge, to believe something to be true, is to not have knowledge of its truth. Just like evidence of a thing is not knowledge of the thing itself

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              I'd have to disagree with you here. Belief has nothing to do with knowledge, to believe something to be true, is to not have knowledge of its truth. Just like evidence of a thing is not knowledge of the thing itself
              You are not thinking correctly here. There is nothing you know that you did not chose to believe as true.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

You are not thinking correctly here. There is nothing you know that you did not chose to believe as true.
                Doesn't matter, it may be that I don't know anything at all, it may be that all that I think I know are in reality only beliefs, beliefs that are wrong. Choosing to believe something does not make that belief equal to knowledge. Belief and knowledge are not synonymous, to believe is to have an opinion, to know is to be aware of facts.

Comment

You're confusing and providing a foggy distinction some, between some basic English definitions for belief (believe), and knowledge (to know). You need to clarify how you are using these terms in comparison with religious belief and, for example, scientific knowledge.

Needs more clarification.

Frank

Comment

Knowledge is what is believed being true. If what is believed is true, but how that belief came about is not true. Then the reasons for the knowledge is not true knowledge. The reasons are false the knowledge is true. Myths believed to be true history are a false knowledge about what is real history. But a story believed to be a myth, is knowledge that the story is a myth.

Bottom line, what we know or think we know is what we believe. What we believe to be true.

I don't think it makes any sense whatsoever to call something knowledge that is in fact not true. You could argue that all we have are beliefs, and I would agree. You can't argue that beliefs and knowledge are synonymous.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      I don't make that assumption. Rather, my question was why do some Christians (like my mother in law and ShrimpMaster) believe that human beings initiated biological death/heat death?

It seems like those believers have an unsophisticated understanding of science. The universe was never a perpetual energy machine. Ditto human beings and all life.
                      I'm referring to your assumption that the heat death of the universe is inevitable. If Adam and Eve never sinned then I don't see why God couldn't have perpetually sustained the universe.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Now you're specifying "Pentateuch". Again, not in his quote. You expect us to read your mind.
                        He need not directly specify the Pentateuch. I am using the "Pentateuch" as a clear example where: . . . 'what we know or think we know is what we believe. What we believe to be true.

Belief does not make anything true.'

Originally posted by 37818

This fits the thread 'Teleology of the Universe,' because the Teleology based on the ancient myths of the Pentateuch form the foundation of traditional Christian doctrines and beliefs. That is what makes them illogical, and irrational to be real in any sense of the word. The Teleology of the Biblical scripture does not remotely fit the knowledge of science.

I and others have requested he clarify his use and distinction between 'belief' and 'knowledge.'
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-30-2015, 04:31 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I'm referring to your assumption that the heat death of the universe is inevitable. If Adam and Eve never sinned then I don't see why God couldn't have perpetually sustained the universe.
                          The universe was born to expand into nothingness and experience entropy. You seem to be saying that God would stop that expansion if the impossible condition of all human beings never sinning once occurs. *scratches head*

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                            The universe was born to expand into nothingness and experience entropy. You seem to be saying that God would stop that expansion if the impossible condition of all human beings never sinning once occurs. *scratches head*
                            There are two possibilities: 1) In the event that mankind didn't fall into sin, God could have stopped the universe from running away towards its own destruction; or 2) After the fall, God could have removed a little bit of his sustaining power from the universe resulting in its current state.

I don't see a problem with either possibility although I lean towards the second.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Strictly speaking, the 'classic' definition of knowledge is "justified true belief". You can't know something if you don't believe it to be true. Believing isn't enough, but it's an integral part of the process.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                There are two possibilities: 1) In the event that mankind didn't fall into sin, God could have stopped the universe from running away towards its own destruction; or 2) After the fall, God could have removed a little bit of his sustaining power from the universe resulting in its current state.

I don't see a problem with either possibility although I lean towards the second.
                                Re: 1, do you mean humankind needed to be perfect for the universe to persist?

Comment