Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commentary Thread vs Mikeenders -Did the Exodus take place as described in the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commentary Thread vs Mikeenders -Did the Exodus take place as described in the Bible

Moderated By: Littlejoe

This is the commentary thread for the debate on the Exodus as described in the Bible, psstein vs. Mikeenders. This debate is scheduled to start Oct. 31, 2015 The debate thread for the participants only is found HERE.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      Moderated By: Littlejoe

This is the commentary thread for the debate on the Exodus as described in the Bible, psstein vs. Mikeenders. This debate is scheduled to start Oct. 31, 2015 The debate thread for the participants only is found HERE.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Sorry guys. Seems like there was a misunderstanding probably arising from how I answered your last query (my fault I did not read it carefully) but as I said in the discussion thread

[quote]
      Originally posted by Mikeenders View Post

Surely you are aware there are different interpretations and identifications regarding various elements of the exodus so simple saying "as the OT records" is a bit ambiguous. For example of the list below I can live with 2 and 4 but 1 and especially 3 is subject to interpretation.

SO to me its jut better to stick to the basics - presence of Jews in Egypt, after a series of of plagues departure to Canaan with a sojourning in the desert,

That present premise is just too ambiguous. I can think of three areas right off the cuff where we would spend time debating interpretation. Again my apologies. I never saw Stein respond back SO I was not even sure this was still on and yes when you presented the premise I overlooked that ambiguity discussed before as such.
      Last edited by Mikeenders; 10-28-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeenders View Post
        That present premise is just too ambiguous. I can think of three areas right off the cuff where we would spend time debating interpretation. Again my apologies. I never saw Stein respond back SO I was not even sure this was still on and yes when you presented the premise I overlooked that ambiguity discussed before as such.
        It is unfortunate that this debate could not have proceeded in an orderly and professional manner. I believe that there was a Hebrew community in Egypt, and it is possible and maybe likely that some Hebrews migrated out of Egypt in a smaller scale as a result of a climatic and government crisis. In contrast all the evidence in Judah does not support a large migration of Hebrews in any time frame that fits the Exodus record. The evidence indicates that the tribes of Judah evolved in place as originally pastoral Canaanite tribes in the hills of Judah. There is no evidence for a massive invasion and conquest of the region near the scale described in genesis.

There is evidence of Egyptian invasion of Canaan and Egyptian settlements and trade in the Canaanite and Judah region
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-22-2016, 10:08 AM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

What about the Hyksos invasion and conquest of Egypt about this time? Was Joseph Vizier under the Hyksos pharaohs?
          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
            What about the Hyksos invasion and conquest of Egypt about this time? Was Joseph Vizier under the Hyksos pharaohs?
            Maybe but not certain, but I would like to see a good thread discussing it. I evaluated the historical evidence in the past concerning Moses and Exodus in the past and found it wanting.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              It is unfortunate that this debate could not have proceeded in an orderly and professional manner. I believe that there was a Hebrew community in Egypt, and it is possible and maybe likely that some Hebrews migrated out of Egypt in a smaller scale as a result of a climatic and government crisis. In contrast all the evidence in Judah does not support a large migration of Hebrews in any time frame that fits the Exodus record. The evidence indicates that the tribes of Judah evolved in place as originally pastoral Canaanite tribes in the hills of Judah. There is no evidence for a massive invasion and conquest of the region near the scale described in genesis.

There is evidence of Egyptian invasion of Canaan and Egyptian settlements and trade in the Canaanite and Judah region
              I assume you mean in Joshua?

I'm a supporter of both settlement and internal revolt. Kind of like how the American West was settled.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X