Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Cancer Risk and WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer Risk and WHO

So the Who just announced that certain types of meat can increase your risk of cancer.

While this sounds dreadful and very scary every time we here this think about this: Every single human who lives long enough has a 37-43 percent chance of getting some kind of Cancer. Put against the whole life time risk....Steak and Bacon don't sound so bad.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

the WHO?

the_who_umg.jpg

They have CANCER?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I heard this same scare years ago.

Next week it will be something else. I don't worry.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

WHO.jpg
        The DOCTOR has spoken!
        When I Survey....

Comment

personally I would like to see the study and how it was conducted....for example did they feed them just the meats and nothing else? plus people who eat a lot of processed meat also tend to eat a lot of other low budget products like pasta, rice, processed foods like ramen noodles etc. also did the processed meats contain gmo's did everything else they were eating? was it one of the specific ingredients in the meat like the preservative? there are so many variables that unless they did a study over a long length of time and only fed them one form of meat and nothing else except maybe vegies then this is just scare mongering

Comment

As for who made the announcement, that would be the United Nations, or more specifically, the World Health Organization, or even more specifically, the International Agency for Research on Cancer:

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/p...fs/pr240_E.pdf

I have followed along their research since June of this year, and yeah, this announcement was well on it's way already. No alarmist or sensationalism as far as I am concerned, just a cold stark warning that now puts red meat right there with other shifty goods like tobacco. And similar to tobacco, it's now just a matter of applying similar principles and understandings in how to take care of one's self regarding consumption of beef and sausages (although don't think ham or bacon fits in the category, as they have their separate studies), and as a matter of fact, do your doctor and family a favor, and not waste a perfectly good bed, staff, and medicines in a hospital by simply using the means to minimize developing the cancer in the first place.

And again... like tobacco, I don't expect folks fond with their meats to call it quits anytime soon, just a moderation of consumption if they expect to live beyond their 50th birthday, heheh.
            Last edited by Andius; 10-26-2015, 11:09 PM.
            Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
            As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

It was probably written by vegetarians.

But it seems every 10 years or so scientists change their mind about what is good for you and what is bad. I remember when eggs where supposed to be bad for you because of cholesterol, but when I met with a dietitian recently I was told I need to eat more protein and eggs were a good source. I asked about the choloesterol and she said well now they don't believe eating eggs raises your cholesterol at all, because most of the cholesterol in you is made by your own body.

Next thing you know they will tell us that smoking cigarettes is good for your health.

Comment

Actually nearly everything can cause Some KIND of harm in large amounts. Just check out what too many or not enough electrolytes can do to the body.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                  As for who made the announcement, that would be the United Nations, or more specifically, the World Health Organization, or even more specifically, the International Agency for Research on Cancer:
                  I know I am an extremist (I support following the US Constitution after all) but I doubt anything that comes out of the UN. Their main purpose is to gain control of people.

And again... like tobacco, I don't expect folks fond with their meats to call it quits anytime soon, just a moderation of consumption if they expect to live beyond their 50th birthday, heheh.
                  I have made it to 74 without worrying about meat.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    It was probably written by vegetarians.

But it seems every 10 years or so scientists change their mind about what is good for you and what is bad. I remember when eggs where supposed to be bad for you because of cholesterol, but when I met with a dietitian recently I was told I need to eat more protein and eggs were a good source. I asked about the choloesterol and she said well now they don't believe eating eggs raises your cholesterol at all, because most of the cholesterol in you is made by your own body.

Next thing you know they will tell us that smoking cigarettes is good for your health.
                    Better known as bacon haters... Dastardly folk.

To be fair, the change of minds is to be expected when it comes to scientific endevours, so you can't expect scientific to get things right the first time, and perhaps the same will occur in regards to red meat.

Yeah... Cigarrettes good for health, don't think WHO is that dense either.

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      Actually nearly everything can cause Some KIND of harm in large amounts. Just check out what too many or not enough electrolytes can do to the body.
                      Well true... Goes hand in hand with a surgeon friend of mine told me once, everything is potentially toxic in excess or in the wrong locations, even oxygen and water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        I know I am an extremist (I support following the US Constitution after all) but I doubt anything that comes out of the UN. Their main purpose is to gain control of people.

I have made it to 74 without worrying about meat.
                        ¿Extremist? I prefer the term purist. ;) and considering my great-grandfather was a diehard constitutionalist during Guatemala's political revolutions (we've been through over a dozen different constitutions and all), it's A trait I admire. :)

No recognition of the legitimacy of the UN's research bodies? Well it's fair point, and I don't disagree you either. When your foundation is a document called "The Declaration of Human Rights" , a manifesto that intends to impose a certain degree of hegemonic values across all of humanity (irrespective of wether it is a UN member or not), yeah, in a manner of speaking, the UN is an institution bent on controlling people.

Comment

Nu uh!!! My bacon that I ate this morning said "Cured", so I am just fine!
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

All humans need B-12, the best source of B-12 is red meat. The WHO can kiss my Steak
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

¿Extremist? I prefer the term purist. ;) and considering my great-grandfather was a diehard constitutionalist during Guatemala's political revolutions (we've been through over a dozen different constitutions and all), it's A trait I admire. :)
                              Liberals in America seem to find those of us who want to adhere to the Constitution extremists.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X