Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Second Hand Smoke - is it dangerous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Hrm. According to NYT, the federal government takes in about $7 billion per year in cigarette excise taxes. The Tax Policy Center reported that all 50 states combined pulled in $17.1 billion in 2009. So we can say that's about $25 billion in total revenue for 2009. A CDC study found that tobacco-related expenses for Medicaid cost $22 billion in 2009. If we were to add in CHIP and Medicare, we'd probably be looking at medical expenditures for tobacco-related health problems at least doubling the revenue generated by excise taxes in 2009.

Nothing really to spare for research, when the big picture is factored.

—Sam
    Sorry, Sam... my mind was elsewhere. I didn't mean research - I meant remediation.

Sorry
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, but at a lower concentration/dose. I doubt it matters all that much; filter or no filter, smoking courts the Reaper. I figure it's mainly marketing, like how some soda/pop/coke is now sold with "all-natural cane sugar," as though it were better for your health than HFCS.

—Sam
      Why would it be at a lower dose? They breathe in the original smoke, exhale the SHS and breathe it back in. Not only that but they breathe in the smoke coming out of the burning end of the cigarette too. The highest concentration of SHS would be around the smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Why would it be at a lower dose? They breathe in the original smoke, exhale the SHS and breathe it back in. Not only that but they breathe in the smoke coming out of the burning end of the cigarette too. The highest concentration of SHS would be around the smoker.
        Unless there's significant ventilation, the "cloud of smoke" just hangs around the smoker, while others in the room - particularly if they're not smokers and don't like the smoke - can "hang back" a bit. So, yeah, I can't see how the smoker is not affected by the SHS even more than those around him/her.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Unless there's significant ventilation, the "cloud of smoke" just hangs around the smoker, while others in the room - particularly if they're not smokers and don't like the smoke - can "hang back" a bit. So, yeah, I can't see how the smoker is not affected by the SHS even more than those around him/her.
          and then they breathe in the second hand smoke and exhale third hand smoke, and inhale that and exhale 4th hand smoke. Pretty soon they suffocate because all they are breathing is 100% smoke!

Comment

The original dose comes from sucking in air through the cigarette and so there's a very high concentration of smoke, while the secondary doses come from breathing the ambient smoke in the area — which is necessarily more dispersed. Imagine it like this: a smoker takes a drag and then breathes out a good deal of visible smoke. But people breathing SHS, even the original smoker, do not exhale visible puffs of smoke. That's because the concentration is significantly less, as the particulates are more dispersed.

So what matters most is the amount of all this bad stuff that gets into a person's system. Active smokers are getting both more cumulative exposure to the bad stuff and getting higher concentrations of it when they take drags from a cigarette. SHS involves lower concentrations (because the smoke is more dispersed) and, normally, less overall exposure.

—Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The original dose comes from sucking in air through the cigarette and so there's a very high concentration of smoke, while the secondary doses come from breathing the ambient smoke in the area — which is necessarily more dispersed. Imagine it like this: a smoker takes a drag and then breathes out a good deal of visible smoke. But people breathing SHS, even the original smoker, do not exhale visible puffs of smoke. That's because the concentration is significantly less, as the particulates are more dispersed.
              Sam - you're over-thinking this... the original smoker is breathing in the ambient air IN ADDITION to the smoke he's intentionally sucking in.

So what matters most is the amount of all this bad stuff that gets into a person's system. Active smokers are getting both more cumulative exposure to the bad stuff and getting higher concentrations of it when they take drags from a cigarette. SHS involves lower concentrations (because the smoke is more dispersed) and, normally, less overall exposure.

—Sam
              OK, so where have any of us said otherwise?

Comment

Sam - you're over-thinking this... the original smoker is breathing in the ambient air IN ADDITION to the smoke he's intentionally sucking in.

OK, so where have any of us said otherwise?

The origin of this tangent was your post asking "Would anybody still support the initial claims that second hand smoke is WORSE than smoking?" My response to that question was that concentrations of chemicals and particulates in SHS are less than those in active smoking. Sparko then asked about smokers breathing SHS in addition to smoking.

So, to address the first question: second-hand smoke isn't as dangerous as actively smoking a cigarette. To address the issue of smokers inhaling SHS in addition to smoking: yes, it adds to the cumulative damage. I guess I'm not getting where the issue or misunderstanding is.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The origin of this tangent was your post asking "Would anybody still support the initial claims that second hand smoke is WORSE than smoking?" My response to that question was that concentrations of chemicals and particulates in SHS are less than those in active smoking.
                  so good so far

Sparko then asked about smokers breathing SHS in addition to smoking.
                  yup

So, to address the first question: second-hand smoke isn't as dangerous as actively smoking a cigarette.
                  yeppers

To address the issue of smokers inhaling SHS in addition to smoking: yes, it adds to the cumulative damage.
                  yup

I guess I'm not getting where the issue or misunderstanding is.
                  I guess I'm not either.

Comment

OK, maybe this is the confusion... Sparko had asked

but wouldn't the smoker also be exposed to the same levels of SHS as well as the direct smoke?
                    And you replied....

Yeah, but at a lower concentration/dose. I doubt it matters all that much; filter or no filter, smoking courts the Reaper. I figure it's mainly marketing, like how some soda/pop/coke is now sold with "all-natural cane sugar," as though it were better for your health than HFCS.

—Sam
                    I think we were both wondering why the smoker would inhale "lower doses" of SHS than those around him. Maybe that's not what you were saying?

Comment

OK, maybe this is the confusion... Sparko had asked

And you replied....

I think we were both wondering why the smoker would inhale "lower doses" of SHS than those around him. Maybe that's not what you were saying?
                      Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion. I took his question as basically asking if SHS and direct smoke had comparable levels of chemicals and particulates. If SHS is as bad or worse than direct smoke, this would make sense and so I was working off of that thread.

—Sam

Comment

Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion. I took his question as basically asking if SHS and direct smoke had comparable levels of chemicals and particulates. If SHS is as bad or worse than direct smoke, this would make sense and so I was working off of that thread.

—Sam
                        No prob -- I kinda figured we were arguing the same thing.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X