Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Resurrection of Christ in Evangelism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Resurrection is what makes the Crucifixion more than just a random guy getting killed for annoying the religious leaders. If it weren't for what happened on Easter Sunday, none of us would have even heard of Jesus of Nazareth, agreed?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
      I was in a class on the theology and practice of Evangelism, and so naturally one of the first topics of discussion was, "What is the Good News?" Every student worked with one or two others to come up with something to share, and the teacher wrote them all down and then we took that and put it together and then compared it with a much better definition, but I recall that almost everyone mentioned the Cross, and almost no one the Resurrection, there were a few mentions of the perfect life, and none of the virgin birth.
      Ok, that's interesting. So it's not just my experience, but other people have experienced that. I definitely forget to mention the virgin birth a lot. Why do you think they/we forget?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
        Ok, that's interesting. So it's not just my experience, but other people have experienced that. I definitely forget to mention the virgin birth a lot. Why do you think they/we forget?
        Maybe we just think there's no need to mention something that everyone should already be aware of. Namely, Easter and Christmas.

Comment

Yeah, maybe we do just take it for granted that people know all of those details. In American culture, there is definitely that background, although I feel like it's getting less and less. Talking with internationals about the gospel has given me a different take on it, because I never know if they have that background, so I try to tell the complete story, even going back to the fact that there is one God.
          sigpic

Comment

And we don't have to tell them everything we know in the process of winning them to Christ -- that's "evangelism". Then there's "discipleship".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And we don't have to tell them everything we know in the process of winning them to Christ -- that's "evangelism". Then there's "discipleship".
              Definitely! And every time we share the gospel we won't be able to tell the whole gospel.

At the same time, when someone makes that first step to follow Christ, I think they need to know what they're buying into, at least a foundational knowledge. Do you agree? If so, what would that foundational knowledge be?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
                Definitely! And every time we share the gospel we won't be able to tell the whole gospel.

At the same time, when someone makes that first step to follow Christ, I think they need to know what they're buying into, at least a foundational knowledge. Do you agree? If so, what would that foundational knowledge be?
                That's hard to answer, because "evangelism" is taking the person from where he/she is (lostness) to where they need to be (new babe in Christ). There needs to be a little assessment of where they are, to determine what it takes to get them where they need to be. I don't mean to be dismissive -- but you kinda need to know where they're coming from.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok so in talking with some friends, I think the lack of teaching the Resurrection of Christ is the teaching of penal substitionary atonement that goes back to the Reformation:
                  Originally posted by Theopedia
                  Penal substitutionary atonement refers to the doctrine that Christ died on the cross as a substitute for sinners. God imputed the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bore the punishment that we deserve. This was a full payment for sins, which satisfied both the wrath and the righteousness of God, so that He could forgive sinners without compromising His own holy standard.
                  Penal substitutionary is great in itself; I appreciate it. But I feel like maybe because of its prevalence some people feel stop at Jesus being the sacrifice and don't feel the need to go farther into the resurrection of Jesus. What do yall think?
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, I remember some preacher said Good Friday really is the good day, making salvation possible. Jesus's life and Resurrection seemed irrelevant to him.
                    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Don't you have to have Easter to make Good Friday be GOOD?

Comment