Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A sword that cuts insect

Mor
    On a forum, it is said, that the two sides of a diamond blades will be 90 degrees from each other, whereas obsidian is amorphic and it can be 33 degrees or less. Diamond blades are more durable than steel or obsidian, it is said. (What's the sharpest knife on earth?). So the diamond sword would resemble a bat, if so. I think there are more choices on the material, anyways.

It is also interesting what is with firearms in ancient times. In the Bible, it seems, arrows or stones are something you can't just look and find in a dictionary. E.g.
    Judg 20:15
    And from their cities at that time the children of Benjamin numbered twenty-six thousand men who drew the sword, besides the inhabitants of Gibeah, who numbered seven hundred select men. 16 Among all this people were seven hundred select men who were left-handed; every one could sling a stone at a hair’s breadth and not miss.
    So, there were snipers among children of Benjamin, but is it hard to not miss a hair if you use a stone? The larger the stone, the harder to miss, and the hair breadth is irrelevant. So, this is obviously not a about a stone. Maybe shuriken or a bullet (metal or ceramic doesn't matter), but obviously not just a stone. What I don't understand, why left-handed matters? Maybe they had a gun attached to their left hand, so it is a specially equipped troop battalion? Given that in those times Israelites had many enemies, perhaps they had professional army. But I am not sure about this.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mor View Post
    On a forum, it is said, that the two sides of a diamond blades will be 90 degrees from each other, whereas obsidian is amorphic and it can be 33 degrees or less. Diamond blades are more durable than steel or obsidian, it is said. (What's the sharpest knife on earth?). So the diamond sword would resemble a bat, if so. I think there are more choices on the material, anyways.

It is also interesting what is with firearms in ancient times. In the Bible, it seems, arrows or stones are something you can't just look and find in a dictionary. E.g.

So, there were snipers among children of Benjamin, but is it hard to not miss a hair if you use a stone? The larger the stone, the harder to miss, and the hair breadth is irrelevant. So, this is obviously not a about a stone. Maybe shuriken or a bullet (metal or ceramic doesn't matter), but obviously not just a stone. What I don't understand, why left-handed matters? Maybe they had a gun attached to their left hand, so it is a specially equipped troop battalion? Given that in those times Israelites had many enemies, perhaps they had professional army. But I am not sure about this.
    Slingers of ancient times often were known for their deadly accuracy.

I'm always still in trouble again

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

So many errors here I can not deal with it.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just one big time correction: Diamonds, hardness of 10, is not more durable than steel. Even though it is the hardest mineral form, it is brittle like obsidian (very glass like brittleness with hardness of 7). The most durable and steel like stone in nature is nephrite jade (hardness of only ~6.0-6.5). It is extremely durable because of its micro-structure of interlocking fibrous nephrite.

Different steels range from hardness of ~5.0 -~7.0. The harder the steel the more brittle. The softest steel, blue carbon steel is the toughest, and not as brittle. If I want the best knives, hunting, pocket knives, or kitchen knives, I want older carbon steel knives. The are easier to sharpen, hold their edge better, and do not break as easy as stainless chrome or vanadium steel.

The rest of this is very hookie.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

5. Amen Jedidiah, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here I go again agreeing with Shunya.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

7. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    40th Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Here I go again agreeing with Shunya.
    Me too.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Me too.
    At least I am not alone.