Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Greek Acra possibly found - Fortress used to control Temple Mount.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Acra possibly found - Fortress used to control Temple Mount.

Source: http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Culture/Archaeological-find-in-Jerusalems-City-of-David-may-answer-100-year-old-mystery-431895

A recent discovery by the Israel Antiquities Authority in Jerusalem’s City of David may finally reveal the answer to one of archeology’s most enduring mysteries: the location of the Greek Acra citadel.

The exact spot of the famous stronghold that Antiochus IV used in the second century BCE to control Jerusalem and monitor activity on the Temple Mount has long been unknown due to a paucity of architectural remains that can be traced to the Greek presence in the capital.

Over the past hundred years of archeological research in Jerusalem, numerous theories have been put forth identifying the location of the Acra, which was eventually overtaken by the Hasmoneans.

The Book of Maccabees addresses the location of the Acra, stating: “And they built the City of David with a great and strong wall, and with strong towers, and made it a fortress for them: And they placed there a sinful nation, wicked men, and they fortified themselves therein.”

In the first century CE, historian Josephus Flavius wrote of the Acra in Antiquities of the Jews: “...and when he had overthrown the city walls, he built a citadel in the lower part of the city, for the place was high, and overlooked the Temple; on which account he fortified it with high walls and towers, and put into it a garrison of Macedonians.”

At a Tuesday morning press conference outside the Old City walls at the City of David, where excavations have been conducted for more than a decade, researchers said they have finally exposed evidence of the Acra citadel on the City of David hill.

IAA excavation directors Dr. Doron Ben-Ami, Yana Tchekhanovets and Salome Cohen said the discovery affords an unprecedented opportunity to reconstruct the layout of the settlement in the city on the eve of the Maccabean uprising in 167 BCE.

“The new archeological finds indicate the establishment of a well-fortified stronghold that was constructed on the high bedrock cliff overlooking the steep slopes of the City of David hill,” the archeologists said in a joint statement.

“This stronghold controlled all means of approach to the Temple atop the Temple Mount, and cut the Temple off from the southern parts of the city.”

The researchers unearthed a section of a massive wall, which they said served as the base of a large watchtower that was four meters wide and 20 meters high. Additionally, a defensive sloping embankment composed of layers of soil, stone and plaster, designed to keep attackers away from the base of the wall, was located adjacent to the wall.

“This embankment extended as far down as the bottom of the Tyropoeon – the valley that bisected the city in antiquity, and constituted an additional obstacle in the citadel’s defenses,” the researchers said.

“Lead sling shots, bronze arrowheads and ballista stones that were discovered at the site and stamped with a trident, which symbolized the reign of Antiochus Epiphanes, are the silent remains of battles that were waged there at the time of the Hasmoneans in their attempt to conquer the citadel, which was regarded as a ‘thorn in the flesh’ of the city.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

You want I should fix the title?

(And... interesting article!)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You want I should fix the title?
      Yeah, shouldn't that be GREEN Acre?

(Actually, I've seen it spelled different ways, even "Akra".)
      When I Survey....

Comment

Green Acres found? Hasn't it always been located just outside of Hooterville?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment