Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

LDS Church: Same Sex Marriage is now apostasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Church: Same Sex Marriage is now apostasy

Source: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37248288&nid=148&title=lds-church-bans-membership-for-children-of-same-sex-couples&s_cid=queue-1

The new instructions are included in a revision to Handbook 1, the guide for stake presidents and bishops.

The criteria for membership also requires an individual to no longer be living with a parent "who has lived or currently lives in a same-gender cohabitation relationship or marriage." A mission president or a stake president must now request approval from the Office of the First Presidency to baptize and confirm, ordain, or recommend missionary service for an individual in these circumstances.

Church spokesman Erik Hawkins released the following statement:

"Church handbooks are policy and procedural guides for lay leaders who must administer the Church in many varied circumstances throughout the world. The Church has long been on record as opposing same-sex marriages. While it respects the law of the land, and acknowledges the right of others to think and act differently, it does not perform or accept same-sex marriage within its membership."

Handbook 1, number 6.7.2 has been updated as follows (addition is highlighted):

When a Disciplinary Council May Be Necessary

Serious Transgression

. . . It includes (but is not limited to) attempted murder, forcible rape, sexual abuse, spouse abuse, intentional serious physical injury of others, adultery, fornication, homosexual relations (especially sexual cohabitation), deliberate abandonment of family responsibilities, . . .

Handbook 1, number 6.7.3 has been updated as follows (addition is highlighted):

When a Disciplinary Council is Mandatory
    Apostasy

As used here, apostasy refers to members who: 1.Repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders.
    2.Persist in teaching as Church doctrine information that is not Church doctrine after they have been corrected by their bishop or a higher authority.
    3.Continue to follow the teachings of apostate sects (such as those that advocate plural marriage) after being corrected by their bishop or a higher authority.
    4.Are in a same-gender marriage.
    5.Formally join another church and advocate its teachings.

A new section in Handbook 1, 16.13 has been added as follows:

Children of a Parent Living in a Same-Gender Relationship
    A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may not receive a name and a blessing.

A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may be baptized and confirmed, ordained, or recommended for missionary service only as follows:

A mission president or a stake president may request approval from the Office of the First Presidency to baptize and confirm, ordain, or recommend missionary service for a child of a parent who has lived or is living in a same-gender relationship when he is satisfied by personal interviews that both of the following requirements are met: 1.The child accepts and is committed to live the teachings and doctrine of the Church, and specifically disavows the practice of same-gender cohabitation and marriage.
    2.The child is of legal age and does not live with a parent who has lived or currently lives in a same-gender cohabitation relationship or marriage.

© Copyright Original Source

As much as I disagree with most Mormon theology, they do generally tend to stick to their guns pretty strongly when it comes to internal church teachings.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    As much as I disagree with most Mormon theology, they do generally tend to stick to their guns pretty strongly when it comes to internal church teachings.
    When I saw the thread title, I assumed that the Mormons were beginning to cave on homosexuality like they did on racism. (I thought there would be a "but")
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      When I saw the thread title, I assumed that the Mormons were beginning to cave on homosexuality like they did on racism. (I thought there would be a "but")
      Racism contradicts scripture... so it is easy to reject.

Homosexuality, on the other hand, would mean rejecting some foundational doctrine from the LDS cannon of scripture. Hard to "cave" on something like that.

-7up

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
        Racism contradicts scripture... so it is easy to reject.
        Ummmm... so your alleged prophet Brigham Young contradicted scripture.

Homosexuality, on the other hand, would mean rejecting some foundational doctrine from the LDS cannon of scripture. Hard to "cave" on something like that.

-7up
        Welcome back, 7!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Ummmm... so your alleged prophet Brigham Young contradicted scripture.
          Yes. He also contradicted Joseph Smith, who had far more experience communing with God than Brigham did, and President Young himself admitted this.

There is no scripture and no revelation given by God which says that the priesthood should be bound by lineage in the Modern Church. On the other hand, there ARE scriptures that are quite clear concerning homosexuality.

My point stands.

-7up
          Last edited by seven7up; 12-12-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X