SBC - Conservative Resurgence vs Fundamentalist Takeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    All seriousness aside, when I was a kid, the neighbor down the street was a Catholic. I asked him to come to Vacation Bible School with me, and he asked his mom, who threw a wall-eyed fit. I will never forget her literally screaming "you don't have any business reading the Bible for yourself - that's what the Priest does!" Now, she was, indeed, a little nutty, but I began to find out that several of my other Catholic friends were NOT allowed to come to VBS unless they had special permission from the Priest, and they were NOT encouraged to (or, in some cases, they were discouraged from) reading the Bible on their own.

That would have been circa 1957 or so... when was Vatican II?
    Easy enough to answer

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Which reminds me.... my Mom used to get REALLY upset when, at the beginning of each school year, we had to fill out a little form with our home address, phone number, nearest relatives, etc... and there was a place for "religious affiliation"...

The choices were...

Protestant
      Catholic
      Jewish
      Other

Mom would get really mad because they didn't have "Baptist", and we for SURE weren't "Protestant!"
      That tends to be the POV of those who think "Baptists" go back to John the Baptist.

I don't know that I'd be happy with sending an Orthodox kid to VBS; as long as they go to church, they already know about Jesus, and VBS is (at least theoretically) used as a means of reaching the unchurched. Reading the Bible is encouraged, however.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

All seriousness aside, when I was a kid, the neighbor down the street was a Catholic. I asked him to come to Vacation Bible School with me, and he asked his mom, who threw a wall-eyed fit. I will never forget her literally screaming "you don't have any business reading the Bible for yourself - that's what the Priest does!" Now, she was, indeed, a little nutty, but I began to find out that several of my other Catholic friends were NOT allowed to come to VBS unless they had special permission from the Priest, and they were NOT encouraged to (or, in some cases, they were discouraged from) reading the Bible on their own.

That would have been circa 1957 or so... when was Vatican II?
        Most Catholics were only concerned about whacky interpretations of the book of Revelation, I suppose especially those Protestants who claimed that the Pope was the antichrist. Catholics all had family bibles, but thought it was more important to live according to the teachings of the Bible (as interpreted by the Church) than to actually read it ourselves.
        אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

The council, through the Holy See, formally opened under the pontificate of Pope John XXIII on 11 October 1962 and closed under Pope Paul VI on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in 1965
          Wiki
          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            You probably don't even believe that the Baptists date back to John the Baptist.
            Never heard of a miqveh?
            When I Survey....

Comment

It is a little bit related but I was visiting a church for a conference my friend invited me to (it was terrible by the way, they were everything wrong with the charismatic movement and I felt the presence (that they were supposedly drunk off) more when I was walking to Jack in the Box (mid-service) than when I was participating in their worship service, anyways the event was hosted by charismatics who were renting the chapel from a Presbyterian church that just left PC(USA) for ECO due to the liberalization of PC(USA).
              Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                Never heard of a miqveh?
                Sure I have.

Comment

Sure I have.
                  Didn't I order you out of this thread?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Didn't I order you out of this thread?
                    No, I don't think so. Anyway, I have to follow my conscience.

Comment

Oh. Well, then. Alrighty! Carry on!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

ECREE. Assumes Catholics have a conscience.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thanks for the answers, Cowpoke. It's crazy how God pulled you into the Baptist fold ;) What would you say are big issues of division for Baptists today?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
                            Thanks for the answers, Cowpoke. It's crazy how God pulled you into the Baptist fold ;) What would you say are big issues of division for Baptists today?
                            I think there's a lot of healing going on, particularly in the Texas State conventions -- we've pretty much agreed it's silly to duplicate things "the other" convention is already doing, and we're getting better at sharing resources. Our Disaster Relief stuff, for example, works better when we're coordinating together. There are theological things we won't agree on, probably, but there are plenty of operational things we do together.

I can't really think of anything that is a major divider right now. I think there's too much realization that the enemy is out there, and it's not my brother.

Comment