Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

$1 billion to digitize a single form? Sounds reasonable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1 billion to digitize a single form? Sounds reasonable.

linky

Source: WaPo

Heaving under mountains of paperwork, the government has spent more than $1 billion trying to replace its antiquated approach to managing immigration with a system of digitized records, online applications and a full suite of nearly 100 electronic forms.

A decade in, all that officials have to show for the effort is a single form that’s now available for online applications and a single type of fee that immigrants pay electronically. The 94 other forms can be filed only with paper.

This project, run by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was originally supposed to cost a half-billion dollars and be finished in 2013. Instead, it’s now projected to reach up to $3.1 billion and be done nearly four years from now, putting in jeopardy efforts to overhaul the nation’s immigration policies, handle immigrants already seeking citizenship and detect national security threats, according to documents and interviews with former and current federal officials.

From the start, the initiative was mismanaged, the records and interviews show. Agency officials did not complete the basic plans for the computer system until nearly three years after the initial $500 million contract had been awarded to IBM, and the approach to adopting the technology was outdated before work on it began.

© Copyright Original Source

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Good to know that my tax dollars aren't going to waste.

And people want the federal government to do more?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

I think that was the project I was in charge of. I got a lot of bacon out of that deal. For another $2 Billion I will do another form.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think that was the project I was in charge of. I got a lot of bacon out of that deal. For another $2 Billion I will do another form.
      rogue tech will digitize two forms for a mere half a billion dollars -- even Canuckistani dollars.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        rogue tech will digitize two forms for a mere half a billion dollars -- even Canuckistani dollars.
        sure. and for another $2 billion you will translate the form from squirrel scratch to English, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          sure. and for another $2 billion you will translate the form from squirrel scratch to English, right?
          None of the NSA ever do such work. They are waaaaay too busy training, conducting missions and celebrating afterwards. And if you were involved all they woulda got was something like

Arrrrrr arr arrrrrrr. Arrr, arrrrrrr arrrrr arr. Arrrrrrr arrrr arrrrrr, arrrrrrrrrrr arrr bacon?

I actually have experts for this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            linky

Source: WaPo

Heaving under mountains of paperwork, the government has spent more than $1 billion trying to replace its antiquated approach to managing immigration with a system of digitized records, online applications and a full suite of nearly 100 electronic forms.

A decade in, all that officials have to show for the effort is a single form that’s now available for online applications and a single type of fee that immigrants pay electronically. The 94 other forms can be filed only with paper.

This project, run by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, was originally supposed to cost a half-billion dollars and be finished in 2013. Instead, it’s now projected to reach up to $3.1 billion and be done nearly four years from now, putting in jeopardy efforts to overhaul the nation’s immigration policies, handle immigrants already seeking citizenship and detect national security threats, according to documents and interviews with former and current federal officials.

From the start, the initiative was mismanaged, the records and interviews show. Agency officials did not complete the basic plans for the computer system until nearly three years after the initial $500 million contract had been awarded to IBM, and the approach to adopting the technology was outdated before work on it began.

© Copyright Original Source

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Good to know that my tax dollars aren't going to waste.

And people want the federal government to do more?
            I created, using Nuance PDF Creator, a form to "onboard" new employees, using one online form that populates all the other forms, including a fillable blue cross blue shield form that BCBS did not already have, enrolling them in our 401k, and all other documents necessary for hire, like the W9, W4, etc, and, because I was an employee of the company, it was FREE!!!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And just how hard is it to create and store a digital record??????
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                And just how hard is it to create and store a digital record??????
                It's not just the form, it is the infrastructure behind it: the database and so on.

Comment

As Macklemore would say, "That's a heck of a deal!" (paraphrased)
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment