Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

looking for best Bible study app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for best Bible study app

I have seen at least bits and pieces of what I am looking for contained in various apps, but to fully examine them all would take a much more extensive amount of time than sending this out to tap into the knowledge of a great number of people with much more experience; I want to maximize my biblical learning and experience, not spend vast amounts of time trying to reinvent the wheel, or spending massive amounts of time having to copy, recopy, etc. every time I find a better app/system.

I am looking for a comprehensive digital Bible set-up. (i.e. ...
    • Multi-platform-- across Android, the web, and hopefully also offline (syncing up when get back online)
    • Able to take personal notes.
    • Able to "mark up" (e.g. highlight, underline, bold, note, tag, etc. etc.).
    • Syncing across all platforms (Android, web, hopefully offline too).
    • Greek/Hebrew concordances [whether built-into the verses (clickable to open the Greek/Hebrew), or separate reference books.
    • Commentaries, esp. Matthew Henry, Finney (not really familiar with these yet, but have heard MH used at church, and I think I remember you mentioning Finney in your documentary by OpenAirOutreach).
    • Other books, references.
    • Side-by-side, or some other GREATLY EASY-to-USE/READ method for displaying Bible, concordance/dictionary, commentary, etc.
    • Preferably free, or very cheap [I have seen some "free" apps which seem to have a lot of the features which I desire, but then they charge for everything internally, like $19.99 for the KJV (my preferred translation)].
    • Other translations/version available.
    • Would greatly prefer to be able to create my own subject/linking:
      • {i.e. be able to make notes, tags, etc. at one verse, and have it show a list of related verses [especially of my own creation, although having a list of references compiled by other "experts" would be very helpful as well (Is that called a "reference" or "cross reference" Bible? And if so, do you have any recommended versions for this, as well?)], and especially to be able to either directly show, or have clickable linking to the other verse(s) (the ones listed regarding the current verse being looked at}
      • Another option, would be to be able to create "studies," in which any verses I list within the study {and it would be nice if it could automatically insert the actual verse text (e.g. I type "John 3:16" and the system automatically fills in "16 For God so loved the world ... ."), so that I don't have to continually copy/paste, or do "endless" clicking or looking up to keep checking what my/the other references actually say [especially if I can mark-up the verse within this "study" as well, ideally auto-transferring such mark-up (notes, highlighting, etc.) back to the original text as well.] In this way, it would be very easy for me to compile my thoughts and studies, as well as to see any thoughts and studies as I read through the Bible in the general reading, or when looking up a verse during a discussion and thereby, on the spot, giving myself other references and info as well (versus a topical study)}.

I want to be able to both read and study (and therefore to be able to find my references), regardless of where I am and whether I have my computer or phone. I don't have a good memory or much experience, so it would be a massive help to me, to be able to quickly/easily find all the/my relevant references to a topic, as well as my thoughts and explanations, especially when having a discussion or debate trying to show someone critical issues (i.e. to be "ready always to give an answer ..."). Also, I can work much faster on my computer, so it would be best for me if the resource was available online, so that I can work on my computer, but then to have all my work sync with my phone app. I assume that "reference" or "cross reference" Bibles, as I mentioned earlier, probably have some of this (topical studies / relevance), however, given how mainstream/nominal "Christian" theology often differs from God's biblical reality, and how personal insights relate to my personal experience/understanding, it would be much more ideal if I could create/modify references of my own.

I would appreciate if you have any suggestion(s) or info in regards to this matter, or if not, if you would not mind putting the request out there to your network of contacts, to see if anyone else has knowledge of such a system, or an interest in investigating for the greater good.

~ Michael

P.S.: If there is a better place (more appropriate or more effective) to post this, please let me know.
    P.P.S.: Do tags need to be preceded by the hashtag symbol ("#")? Do they have to be "one-word" in form? (e.g. Does the tag for "Bible study app" need to be "Biblestudyapp" or "#Biblestudyapp?"
    * Sin after repent? Ez. 18:19-32
    * Paul w/o sin?- Philp 3:4-6
    * Reqs? ALL!- Rich ruler (Mat 19:16-17-20-22, Lk 18:18-20-21-23); Treasure/Pearl (Mat 13:44-46), Lk 14:26 ...
    * Consequences after forgiveness?- Mat 18:23-27-34
    * Explicit- I Jn 3:3-5-6-8 (destroy works) - 9-10, 18, 22, 24
    * If sin is inherent in the flesh- I Jn 4:1-3
    * Does God judge by faith or works?- Two sons (Mat 21:28-29-31); Jesus' words (Mat 7:12-13-14-15-20-21-22-23-24-26-27)
    * Excuses-- Lk 14:15-18-20-24

Blue Letter Bible app will do most of that I believe....and it's free.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

The following may not be what you are asking for, but they are some of what I use.

I use e-Sword on my desk top PC. There is only the free version. You can pay for some modern translations, if you want to, from the copyright holders. For those I just use the online Blue Letter Bible.

On my Android tablet I use the MySword app.

My preferred translation is the KJV. Second choice is the NKJV via the online Blue Letter Bible.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I go to this website for the Greek
        http://nttranscripts.uni-muenster.de...ts+0+start.anv

And this website tries to link the words to this Greek lexicon website:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...ookup=christos

I use my own spreadsheets to sort out quotes from commentaries and monographs.

I often find the older commentaries at the archive.org website

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          I'm pretty happy with BLB - and you can create a login (as you probably know, LJ) and save notes, highlighting, and settings, and they'll appear that way on your ipad, iphone, ipatch, or other PC's.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Michael, why do you want to go to a single source?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              As long as it's God, it's OK.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I'm pretty happy with BLB - and you can create a login (as you probably know, LJ) and save notes, highlighting, and settings, and they'll appear that way on your ipad, iphone, ipatch, or other PC's.
                I started to ck out BLB but couldn't find options neither for highlighting nor making notes.
                * Reqs? ALL!- Rich ruler (Mat 19:16-17-20-22, Lk 18:18-20-21-23); Treasure/Pearl (Mat 13:44-46), Lk 14:26 ...
                * Does God judge by faith or works?- Two sons (Mat 21:28-29-31); Jesus' words (Mat 7:12-13-14-15-20-21-22-23-24-26-27)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  To have my info and thoughts consolidated, rather than scattered. Especially when discussing issues with others, having relevant info seems to be not only much more conducive to discovery, but also much more efficient (why waste tons of time; busy-work is not work, but wasted time)

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    The following may not be what you are asking for, but they are some of what I use.

I use e-Sword on my desk top PC. There is only the free version. You can pay for some modern translations, if you want to, from the copyright holders. For those I just use the online Blue Letter Bible.

On my Android tablet I use the MySword app.

My preferred translation is the KJV. Second choice is the NKJV via the online Blue Letter Bible.
                    Are e-Sword and MySword the same source?. (i.e. Will my study/work sync/transfer to both platforms?)

BLB did not seem to have any of the personalization criteria I desired (notetaking, highlighting/underlining, etc.). I'm hoping to ck out e-Sword/MySword, BibleGateway, and Bible.org next.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      I couldn't find how to make notes, highlight/underline/etc., so I'm moving on to ck out others: e-Sword/MySword, BibleGateway, and Bible.org

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        I started to ck out BLB but couldn't find options neither for highlighting nor making notes.
                        Hmmm.... I'll double check that - maybe it's only on the app?

Comment

• Blue Letter -- appears to have no ability to make personal notes/markup.
                          • Olive Tree -- does not appear to be online. Has free Windows app.
                          • Bible.com's YouVersion -- does not appear to have any books/commentaries.
                          • Bible.org -- does not appear to have an Android app. They mention the Olive Tree Bible Reader, but doesn't appear to sync between Bible.org (online Bible) and Olive Tree app.
                          • BibleGateway -- showing some promise, but resources appear very limited.
                          • Faithlife -- shows promise, but seems limited. Trying to get users to buy VERY costly Logos software.
                          • Logos -- says it does it all, but doesn't appear to have web-platform. Has free Windows app.

[Maybe will have to get Windows again, so can get Logos or Olive Tree Windows app, so can have on computer and sync with Android. blah Windows. blah more money. Plus both Logos & Olive Tree charges for a lot of resources. Logos appears to have the vast majority of resources and tools, if you can pay hundredS of dollars, up to $10k (yes, that's ten LARGE!).]

Comment

E-Sword is a free Windows app. You can make your own study notes. You can add paid resources if you want to.

http://www.e-sword.net/index.html

MySword is a free Android app. You can make your own study notes.

http://www.mysword.info/
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              E-Sword is a free Windows app. You can make your own study notes. You can add paid resources if you want to.

http://www.e-sword.net/index.html

MySword is a free Android app. You can make your own study notes.

http://www.mysword.info/
                              Thank you. E-Sword looked really good but has no Android app to sync across platforms. It looks like I'll be switching back to Windows within a couple of weeks, so may go with the Faithlife/Logos or Olive Tree options, so can use quick and easy on PC and then have synced to Android to use on-the-go while conversing.

Comment