Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The sons of Abraham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sons of Abraham

Moses was a descendant of Abraham. He gave the world the Torah, which he said was based on revelations given to him by God. Judaism is based on the teachings contained in this book.

Muhammad was a descendant of Abraham. He gave the world the Koran, which he said was based on revelations given to him by God. Islam is based on the teachings contained in this book.

The similarities between these two aren’t just a coincidence.

Abraham had two sons, Isaac and Ishmael. Moses was a descendant of Isaac and Muhammad was a descendant of Ishmael.

The Bible’s record of Abraham’s life begins in Genesis 12.
    Now the LORD said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
    Genesis 12:1-3 ESV

God promised to make a great nation of Abraham. In order for this promise to be fulfilled Abraham would have to have children and for a long time his wife Sarah remained childless. Abraham had a son by Sarah’s servant Hagar and named him Ishmael but God told him that Sarah herself would have a son and that the promises God had made to Abraham would be fulfilled through him.
    And God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover, I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall become nations; kings of peoples shall come from her.”
    Genesis 17:15-16 ESV

Sarah eventually had the promised son and named him Isaac. She then demanded that Abraham send Ishmael and his mother away.
    Sarah said to Abraham, “Cast out this slave woman with her son, for the son of this slave woman shall not be heir with my son Isaac.”

And the thing was very displeasing to Abraham on account of his son. But God said to Abraham, “Be not displeased because of the boy and because of your slave woman. Whatever Sarah says to you, do as she tells you, for through Isaac shall your offspring be named.”
    Genesis 21:10-12 ESV

God here confirmed what he had said earlier, that the promises he made to Abraham would be fulfilled through Isaac, not Ishmael. This proves that Moses, the descendant of Isaac, and not Muhammad, the descendant of Ishmael, was the true messenger of God.

The Jews were chosen by God to prepare the way for the Messiah. He would die as a sacrifice for people’s sins and then rise from the dead. He would also be the king of the Jews and establish a worldwide kingdom in which everyone would worship God.

Jesus Christ was the promised Messiah. When he came he did die as a sacrifice for our sins and as a result anyone who repents and puts his faith in him can be forgiven. But the Jews refused to accept him as their king. As a result he turned from the Jews and established a new body, the church, which is made up of all, both Jews and gentiles, who put their faith in him.

God will fulfill all of his promises to the Jews despite their rejection of the Messiah. In order for this to happen Jesus must return. But before that time the Jews will be deceived by a false Messiah who is also known as the Antichrist. Jesus said,
    I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not receive me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive him.
    John 5:43 ESV

The Antichrist will be an agent of Satan and Satan tries to deceive people by imitating God. God chose Abraham’s son Isaac to be the ancestor of the Messiah. Satan chose Abraham’s other son Ishmael to be the ancestor of the Antichrist. Muhammad and the Koran play the same role in Satan’s plan that Moses and the Torah do in God’s plan. Just as Jews look forward to the coming of a Messiah, Muslims are waiting for a man known as the Mahdi, who will cause the whole world to be converted to Islam. Many Bible students believe the Mahdi is the Antichrist who is foretold in the New Testament.

Jews believe the Messiah will be a Jew and Muslims believe the Mahdi will be an Arab. At first it appears that this makes it impossible that the Antichrist and the Mahdi can be the same person, but Jews consider anyone born of a Jewish mother to be Jewish and Arabs consider anyone born of an Arab father to be Arab. If the Antichrist has an Arab father and a Jewish mother he will be both an Arab and a Jew and can claim to be both Mahdi and Messiah.

He will come as a peacemaker and will establish a treaty between the Jews and their enemies.
    And he shall make a strong covenant with many for one week, and for half of the week he shall put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate, until the decreed end is poured out on the desolator.
    Daniel 9:27 ESV

This treaty will enable the Jews to resume the sacrifices commanded by the law of Moses but in the last half of the seven year treaty they will be forced to stop the sacrifices. Second Thessalonians 2:3,4 describes how he will do this.
    Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.

When the Antichrist demands that he be worshipped the Jews will realize he isn’t the Messiah. But how will Muslims react? The Bible doesn’t tell us anything about this but since they reject the idea of worshipping a man as strongly as the Jews do they will probably realize that he isn’t their Mahdi and like the Jews will refuse to worship him. It is even possible that when Jesus returns the Muslims as well as the Jews will come to believe in him.

When told that Ishmael would not be the one through whom God would fulfill his promises Abraham prayed for him.
    And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before you!”

God said, “No, but Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his offspring after him. As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I have blessed him and will make him fruitful and multiply him greatly. He shall father twelve princes, and I will make him into a great nation.
    Genesis 17:18-20 ESV

Muslims are the spiritual descendants of Ishmael so their conversion would be an answer to that prayer.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
    Jews believe the Messiah will be a Jew and Muslims believe the Mahdi will be an Arab. At first it appears that this makes it impossible that the Antichrist and the Mahdi can be the same person, but Jews consider anyone born of a Jewish mother to be Jewish and Arabs consider anyone born of an Arab father to be Arab. If the Antichrist has an Arab father and a Jewish mother he will be both an Arab and a Jew and can claim to be both Mahdi and Messiah.
    There is no distinction here between Arab or Jew in the fulfillment of prophecy. Both claim the fulfillment of prophecy is the descendent of Abraham.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

According to Islam, the Kaaba is the "house of God" raised by Prophet Abraham and his son Ishmael. Prophet Abraham prayed to God to give sustenance and guidance to his decedents and the Quran is a result of that promise.

I think this story also hints that it is not the labels (identity-constructs) that are important but the intentions of the heart that determine if one "submits" to God.....(muslim=one who submits to God)

For those who want to see the story in the Quran (Surah 2).....
      YUSUFALI: Then guard yourselves against a-Day when one soul shall not avail another, nor shall compensation be accepted from her nor shall intercession profit her nor shall anyone be helped (from outside).
      PICKTHAL: And guard (yourselves) against a day when no soul will in aught avail another, nor will compensation be accepted from it, nor will intercession be of use to it; nor will they be helped.
      SHAKIR: And be on your guard against a day when no soul shall avail another in the least neither shall any compensation be accepted from it, nor shall intercession profit it, nor shall they be helped.

YUSUFALI: And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers."
      PICKTHAL: And (remember) when his Lord tried Abraham with (His) commands, and he fulfilled them, He said: Lo! I have appointed thee a leader for mankind. (Abraham) said: And of my offspring (will there be leaders)? He said: My covenant includeth not wrong-doers.
      SHAKIR: And when his Lord tried Ibrahim with certain words, he fulfilled them. He said: Surely I will make you an Imam of men. Ibrahim said: And of my offspring? My covenant does not include the unjust, said He.

YUSUFALI: Remember We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place of safety; and take ye the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We covenanted with Abraham and Isma'il, that they should sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or use it as a retreat, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).
      PICKTHAL: And when We made the House (at Makka) a resort for mankind and sanctuary, (saying): Take as your place of worship the place where Abraham stood (to pray). And We imposed a duty upon Abraham and Ishmael, (saying): Purify My house for those who go around and those who meditate therein and those who bow down and prostrate themselves (in worship).
      SHAKIR: And when We made the House a pilgrimage for men and a (place of) security, and: Appoint for yourselves a place of prayer on the standing-place of Ibrahim. And We enjoined Ibrahim and Ismail saying: Purify My House for those who visit (it) and those who abide (in it) for devotion and those who bow down (and) those who prostrate themselves.

YUSUFALI: And remember Abraham said: "My Lord, make this a City of Peace, and feed its people with fruits,-such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day." He said:[/B][/B] "(Yea), and such as reject Faith,-for a while will I grant them their pleasure, but will soon drive them to the torment of Fire,- an evil destination (indeed)!"
      PICKTHAL: And when Abraham prayed: My Lord! Make this a region of security and bestow upon its people fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day, He answered: As for him who disbelieveth, I shall leave him in contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the doom of Fire - a hapless journey's end!
      SHAKIR: And when Ibrahim said: My Lord, make it a secure town and provide its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the last day. He said: And whoever disbelieves, I will grant him enjoyment for a short while, then I will drive him to the chastisement of the fire; and it is an evil destination.

YUSUFALI: And remember Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the House (With this prayer): "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us: For Thou art the All-Hearing, the All-knowing.
      PICKTHAL: And when Abraham and Ishmael were raising the foundations of the House, (Abraham prayed): Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty). Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower.
      SHAKIR: And when Ibrahim and Ismail raised the foundations of the House: Our Lord! accept from us; surely Thou art the Hearing, the Knowing:

YUSUFALI: "Our Lord! make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
      PICKTHAL: Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent toward us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful.
      SHAKIR: Our Lord! and make us both submissive to Thee and (raise) from our offspring a nation submitting to Thee, and show us our ways of devotion and turn to us (mercifully), surely Thou art the Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful.

YUSUFALI: "Our Lord! send amongst them a Messenger of their own, who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in scripture and wisdom, and sanctify them: For Thou art the Exalted in Might, the Wise."
      PICKTHAL: Our Lord! And raise up in their midst a messenger from among them who shall recite unto them Thy revelations, and shall instruct them in the Scripture and in wisdom and shall make them grow. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Mighty, Wise.
      SHAKIR: Our Lord! and raise up in them a Messenger from among them who shall recite to them Thy communications and teach them the Book and the wisdom, and purify them; surely Thou art the Mighty, the Wise.

YUSUFALI: And who turns away from the religion of Abraham but such as debase their souls with folly? Him We chose and rendered pure in this world: And he will be in the Hereafter in the ranks of the Righteous.
      PICKTHAL: And who forsaketh the religion of Abraham save him who befooleth himself? Verily We chose him in the world, and lo! in the Hereafter he is among the righteous.
      SHAKIR: And who forsakes the religion of Ibrahim but he who makes himself a fool, and most certainly We chose him in this world, and in the hereafter he is most surely among the righteous.

YUSUFALI: Behold! his Lord said to him: "Bow (thy will to Me):" He said: "I bow (my will) to the Lord and Cherisher of the Universe."
      PICKTHAL: When his Lord said unto him: Surrender! he said: I have surrendered to the Lord of the Worlds.
      SHAKIR: When his Lord said to him, Be a Muslim, he said: I submit myself to the Lord of the worlds.

YUSUFALI: And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; "Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the Faith of Islam."
      PICKTHAL: The same did Abraham enjoin upon his sons, and also Jacob, (saying): O my sons! Lo! Allah hath chosen for you the (true) religion; therefore die not save as men who have surrendered (unto Him).
      SHAKIR: And the same did Ibrahim enjoin on his sons and (so did) Yaqoub. O my sons! surely Allah has chosen for you (this) faith, therefore die not unless you are Muslims.

YUSUFALI: Were ye witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold, he said to his sons: "What will ye worship after me?" They said: "We shall worship Thy god and the god of thy fathers, of Abraham, Isma'il and Isaac,- the one (True) Allah: To Him we bow (in Islam)."
      PICKTHAL: Or were ye present when death came to Jacob, when he said unto his sons: What will ye worship after me? They said: We shall worship thy god, the god of thy fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac, One Allah, and unto Him we have surrendered.
      SHAKIR: Nay! were you witnesses when death visited Yaqoub, when he said to his sons: What will you serve after me? They said: We will serve your god and the god of your fathers, Ibrahim and Ismail and Ishaq, one Allah only, and to Him do we submit.

YUSUFALI: That was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did, and ye of what ye do! Of their merits there is no question in your case!
      PICKTHAL: Those are a people who have passed away. Theirs is that which they earned, and yours is that which ye earn. And ye will not be asked of what they used to do.
      SHAKIR: This is a people that have passed away; they shall have what they earned and you shall have what you earn, and you shall not be called upon to answer for what they did.

YUSUFALI: They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion of Abraham the True, and he joined not gods with Allah."
      PICKTHAL: And they say: Be Jews or Christians, then ye will be rightly guided. Say (unto them, O Muhammad): Nay, but (we follow) the religion of Abraham, the upright, and he was not of the idolaters.
      SHAKIR: And they say: Be Jews or Christians, you will be on the right course. Say: Nay! (we follow) the religion of Ibrahim, the Hanif, and he was not one of the polytheists.

YUSUFALI: Say ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)."
      PICKTHAL: Say (O Muslims): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the tribes, and that which Moses and Jesus received, and that which the prophets received from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered.
      SHAKIR: Say: We believe in Allah and (in) that which had been revealed to us, and (in) that which was revealed to Ibrahim and Ismail and Ishaq and Yaqoub and the tribes, and (in) that which was given to Musa and Isa, and (in) that which was given to the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X