Some of your favorite Rule Systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of your favorite Rule Systems?

Over the past few years, I've spent a lot of time learning about different systems and playing them (even GMing from time to time). I have to say, they're quite a diverse lot.

Here's some of my favorites (a small list of what I've actually played):
    -Savage Worlds: My Go-To for Pulp-Style adventures, which is a rather broad category. I've seen this system used for all sorts of games... Post-Apocalyptic, Luchasploitation, and even Warhammer 40k style.
    -Cartoon Action Hour 3e: If you want to run something in the style of a cheesy 80's cartoon, this is where to go (I've run a short game with this one... and I loved it). It doesn't have 'stats' like most systems, instead allowing the players to allocate points to reasonable broad Traits (ie, "Special Forces Training," "Enchanting Singing Voice," "Cast Iron Stomach," etc) and go from there.
    -FATE Core: This one is like GURPS, in the sense that you can pretty much do anything with it. Star Wars? (Urban) Fantasy? Mecha vs Kaiju? Yep, Yes, and OH YEAH. However, while there are still dice rolls it's MUCH more reliant on Narrative, so if you're used to number-crunch systems (like d20), it'll take some time getting used to it.
    -Mutants and Masterminds 2e: It's been my standard system for Superhero games for a while now. I haven't had much experience with 3e, so I can't comment much on it. I admit... I want to try ICONS sometime (it's done by Steve Kenson, who also worked on M&M); it's more narrative-based, like FATE, and it has a Random Hero Generation system that's been fun to try.

Of course, you can't go wrong with D&D 3.5/Pathfinder. There are systems that feel like they do the High Fantasy thing better... I can't help but still like D&D.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

My favorite rule system is "whoever has the gold makes the rules"

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X