Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Viral Photo of a Sikh Guy

  1. #1
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,854
    Amen (Given)
    1114
    Amen (Received)
    1544

    Viral Photo of a Sikh Guy

    http://petapixel.com/2015/11/16/phot...ris-terrorist/

    Just so people can look. Obviously Sikhs aren't Muslim. So what is the religion where you see Indian Men with Beards and Ornate Turbans?

    Its definately not Islam. They are Sikh. In fact Sikhism is the fifth largest world religion, and Monotheistic. Sikh's are very adamant about being neither muslim nor Hindu.

    Here is a short Summary of Sikh beliefs and a brief overview of the religion:

    The religion came about with a gentlemen in the mid-15th century who was hindu born and was religious. He was from the Punjab area and after some time, of education and philosophy he concluded that:

    1) There was one Supreme creator- God with no form or gender.
    2) Everyone can access this God and have a relationship with God.
    3) All genders are equal before God
    4) The way to have this relationship is by prayer, meditation, live honestly, generously, and within the community
    5) empty ritual, superstition and idol worship are vain and of no value/sinful before God
    6)Ultimate Salvation or being with God is not earned but given through God's grace and a person's attention must be on God at all times for him to bestow this grace, other wise a person will be stuck in the reincarnation cycle until they can live with God forever.
    7) They do believe in Karma
    8) there is no hell.
    9) They have no name for God but call him Supreme.
    10) respect other religions, believing them to be partially correct.
    11) Believe their God at the end will crush hindu the god of death.

    They don't cut their hair, and believe it is sacred but I can't remember the reason for this. So next time you see a guy in a turbin covering all of his hair, be sure to shake their hand and say hello and don't accuse them of terrorism.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

  2. Amen Irate Canadian amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,133
    Amen (Given)
    3958
    Amen (Received)
    19325
    I smell a lawsuit against the media outlets for publishing it without checking.

  4. #3
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,469
    Amen (Given)
    927
    Amen (Received)
    16094
    If you believe that there are other gods...

    11) Believe their God at the end will crush hindu the god of death.

    ...are you truly monotheistic?

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  5. Amen Cerebrum123, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,296
    Amen (Given)
    17367
    Amen (Received)
    3436
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    If you believe that there are other gods...


    ...are you truly monotheistic?
    You know, I wasn't thinking when I hit the amen button. There are examples in the Bible that refer to "other gods". So, it depends on context.

  7. Amen Ana Dragule amen'd this post.
  8. #5
    tWebber robrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Kingdom of God
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,865
    Amen (Given)
    896
    Amen (Received)
    1572
    I know several Sikhs quite well. A young Sikh man was working for me during 9/11. His family was very concerned for his safety because almost everyone assumed he must be some kind of radical Muslim on account of his turban. Very nice family. Very good family. His grandfather had been something of a theologian and written a book about their religious beliefs.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

  9. #6
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,146
    Amen (Given)
    5354
    Amen (Received)
    10234
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    http://petapixel.com/2015/11/16/phot...ris-terrorist/

    Just so people can look. Obviously Sikhs aren't Muslim. So what is the religion where you see Indian Men with Beards and Ornate Turbans?

    Its definately not Islam. They are Sikh. In fact Sikhism is the fifth largest world religion, and Monotheistic. Sikh's are very adamant about being neither muslim nor Hindu.

    Here is a short Summary of Sikh beliefs and a brief overview of the religion:

    The religion came about with a gentlemen in the mid-15th century who was hindu born and was religious. He was from the Punjab area and after some time, of education and philosophy he concluded that:

    1) There was one Supreme creator- God with no form or gender.
    2) Everyone can access this God and have a relationship with God.
    3) All genders are equal before God
    4) The way to have this relationship is by prayer, meditation, live honestly, generously, and within the community
    5) empty ritual, superstition and idol worship are vain and of no value/sinful before God
    6)Ultimate Salvation or being with God is not earned but given through God's grace and a person's attention must be on God at all times for him to bestow this grace, other wise a person will be stuck in the reincarnation cycle until they can live with God forever.
    7) They do believe in Karma
    8) there is no hell.
    9) They have no name for God but call him Supreme.
    10) respect other religions, believing them to be partially correct.
    11) Believe their God at the end will crush hindu the god of death.

    They don't cut their hair, and believe it is sacred but I can't remember the reason for this. So next time you see a guy in a turbin covering all of his hair, be sure to shake their hand and say hello and don't accuse them of terrorism.
    India is far from predominately Muslim. The problem is that people have difficulty distinguishing between Indians and Arabs.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  10. #7
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,469
    Amen (Given)
    927
    Amen (Received)
    16094
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I know several Sikhs quite well. A young Sikh man was working for me during 9/11. His family was very concerned for his safety because almost everyone assumed he must be some kind of radical Muslim on account of his turban. Very nice family. Very good family. His grandfather had been something of a theologian and written a book about their religious beliefs.
    Dated one back in the late 90s. Nice girl -- usually.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  11. #8
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,469
    Amen (Given)
    927
    Amen (Received)
    16094
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    India is far from predominately Muslim. The problem is that people have difficulty distinguishing between Indians and Arabs.
    Around 80% Hindu.



    Wikipedia gives slightly different numbers.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  12. #9
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    18,050
    Amen (Given)
    13434
    Amen (Received)
    7924
    Anybody looking at a Sikh's turban and the headgear of a Muslim would be able to tell the difference immediatly.

    Besides, most Muslims, aside from their women, don't even wear headgear unless it is to cover their faces.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  13. #10
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,992
    Amen (Given)
    2419
    Amen (Received)
    2860
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    http://petapixel.com/2015/11/16/phot...ris-terrorist/

    Just so people can look. Obviously Sikhs aren't Muslim. So what is the religion where you see Indian Men with Beards and Ornate Turbans?

    Its definately not Islam. They are Sikh. In fact Sikhism is the fifth largest world religion, and Monotheistic. Sikh's are very adamant about being neither muslim nor Hindu.

    Here is a short Summary of Sikh beliefs and a brief overview of the religion:

    The religion came about with a gentlemen in the mid-15th century who was hindu born and was religious. He was from the Punjab area and after some time, of education and philosophy he concluded that:

    1) There was one Supreme creator- God with no form or gender.
    2) Everyone can access this God and have a relationship with God.
    3) All genders are equal before God
    4) The way to have this relationship is by prayer, meditation, live honestly, generously, and within the community
    5) empty ritual, superstition and idol worship are vain and of no value/sinful before God
    6)Ultimate Salvation or being with God is not earned but given through God's grace and a person's attention must be on God at all times for him to bestow this grace, other wise a person will be stuck in the reincarnation cycle until they can live with God forever.
    7) They do believe in Karma
    8) there is no hell.
    9) They have no name for God but call him Supreme.
    10) respect other religions, believing them to be partially correct.
    11) Believe their God at the end will crush hindu the god of death.

    They don't cut their hair, and believe it is sacred but I can't remember the reason for this. So next time you see a guy in a turbin covering all of his hair, be sure to shake their hand and say hello and don't accuse them of terrorism.
    They are also to at all times to carry the kirpan (varies from a small knife to a sword) upon their persons symbolically in order defend all those who are persecuted, regardless of race, creed, colour etc. This was started after muslim persecution of Sikhs.

    And the hair is because they believe it represents the perfection of God's creation.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •