Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Viral Photo of a Sikh Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viral Photo of a Sikh Guy

http://petapixel.com/2015/11/16/phot...ris-terrorist/

Just so people can look. Obviously Sikhs aren't Muslim. So what is the religion where you see Indian Men with Beards and Ornate Turbans?

Its definately not Islam. They are Sikh. In fact Sikhism is the fifth largest world religion, and Monotheistic. Sikh's are very adamant about being neither muslim nor Hindu.

Here is a short Summary of Sikh beliefs and a brief overview of the religion:

The religion came about with a gentlemen in the mid-15th century who was hindu born and was religious. He was from the Punjab area and after some time, of education and philosophy he concluded that:

1) There was one Supreme creator- God with no form or gender.
    2) Everyone can access this God and have a relationship with God.
    3) All genders are equal before God
    4) The way to have this relationship is by prayer, meditation, live honestly, generously, and within the community
    5) empty ritual, superstition and idol worship are vain and of no value/sinful before God
    6)Ultimate Salvation or being with God is not earned but given through God's grace and a person's attention must be on God at all times for him to bestow this grace, other wise a person will be stuck in the reincarnation cycle until they can live with God forever.
    7) They do believe in Karma
    8) there is no hell.
    9) They have no name for God but call him Supreme.
    10) respect other religions, believing them to be partially correct.
    11) Believe their God at the end will crush hindu the god of death.

They don't cut their hair, and believe it is sacred but I can't remember the reason for this. So next time you see a guy in a turbin covering all of his hair, be sure to shake their hand and say hello and don't accuse them of terrorism.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

I smell a lawsuit against the media outlets for publishing it without checking.

Comment

If you believe that there are other gods...

...are you truly monotheistic?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        If you believe that there are other gods...

...are you truly monotheistic?
        You know, I wasn't thinking when I hit the amen button. There are examples in the Bible that refer to "other gods". So, it depends on context.

Comment

I know several Sikhs quite well. A young Sikh man was working for me during 9/11. His family was very concerned for his safety because almost everyone assumed he must be some kind of radical Muslim on account of his turban. Very nice family. Very good family. His grandfather had been something of a theologian and written a book about their religious beliefs.
          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

Just so people can look. Obviously Sikhs aren't Muslim. So what is the religion where you see Indian Men with Beards and Ornate Turbans?

Its definately not Islam. They are Sikh. In fact Sikhism is the fifth largest world religion, and Monotheistic. Sikh's are very adamant about being neither muslim nor Hindu.

The religion came about with a gentlemen in the mid-15th century who was hindu born and was religious. He was from the Punjab area and after some time, of education and philosophy he concluded that:

4) The way to have this relationship is by prayer, meditation, live honestly, generously, and within the community
            5) empty ritual, superstition and idol worship are vain and of no value/sinful before God
            6)Ultimate Salvation or being with God is not earned but given through God's grace and a person's attention must be on God at all times for him to bestow this grace, other wise a person will be stuck in the reincarnation cycle until they can live with God forever.
            8) there is no hell.

They don't cut their hair, and believe it is sacred but I can't remember the reason for this. So next time you see a guy in a turbin covering all of his hair, be sure to shake their hand and say hello and don't accuse them of terrorism.
            India is far from predominately Muslim. The problem is that people have difficulty distinguishing between Indians and Arabs.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              I know several Sikhs quite well. A young Sikh man was working for me during 9/11. His family was very concerned for his safety because almost everyone assumed he must be some kind of radical Muslim on account of his turban. Very nice family. Very good family. His grandfather had been something of a theologian and written a book about their religious beliefs.
              Dated one back in the late 90s. Nice girl -- usually.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                India is far from predominately Muslim. The problem is that people have difficulty distinguishing between Indians and Arabs.
                Around 80% Hindu.

Wikipedia gives slightly different numbers.

Comment

Anybody looking at a Sikh's turban and the headgear of a Muslim would be able to tell the difference immediatly.

Besides, most Muslims, aside from their women, don't even wear headgear unless it is to cover their faces.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

8) there is no hell.

They are also to at all times to carry the kirpan (varies from a small knife to a sword) upon their persons symbolically in order defend all those who are persecuted, regardless of race, creed, colour etc. This was started after muslim persecution of Sikhs.

And the hair is because they believe it represents the perfection of God's creation.
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      They are also to at all times to carry the kirpan (varies from a small knife to a sword) upon their persons symbolically in order defend all those who are persecuted, regardless of race, creed, colour etc. This was started after muslim persecution of Sikhs.

And the hair is because they believe it represents the perfection of God's creation.
                      Thanks, I was reading about the kirpan, but I had forgotten the hair. My first ever encounter with someone who was sikh was a family that moved into our neighborhood from India because of a job opportunity. I went to school and became close friends with the daughters, other than that I wouldn't know anything about the religion, or have much of a reason to learn, unless I was for some reason to go visit India.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks, I was reading about the kirpan, but I had forgotten the hair. My first ever encounter with someone who was sikh was a family that moved into our neighborhood from India because of a job opportunity. I went to school and became close friends with the daughters, other than that I wouldn't know anything about the religion, or have much of a reason to learn, unless I was for some reason to go visit India.
                        I know a number of Sikhs.
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          I know a number of Sikhs.
                          Yes, but do you know any sick Sikh Sheikhs?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No. But my son created a rock band in his video game called Cheap Sheep Cheese.

Does that count?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Ah, but the sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick. I can say that three times fast

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X