Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Examining your white privilege.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I met them a couple of times, and work at Art Garfunkel's house. He used to teach in the next town over. Some of my favorite music from the sixties.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I would SO get kicked out of that class for being a smart ass...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I self-identify as a purple pan-gender cactus so I should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I would SO get kicked out of that class for being a smart ass...
          Yes it was at high end private school https://www.formanschool.org/page.cf...0&LockSSL=true

He taught mathematics, but he always had real nice looking women hanging around his house, though I think he was happily married at the time.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Yes it was at high end private school https://www.formanschool.org/page.cf...0&LockSSL=true

He taught mathematics, but he always had real nice looking women hanging around his house, though I think he was happily married at the time.
            I meant the retreat in the OP...
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I meant the retreat in the OP...
              oops, that too...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The University of Vermont held a retreat to teach white students how racist and privileged they are.

https://www.uvm.edu/~asc/?Page=white...ventsmenu.html

Examining White Privilege Retreat:

Examining White PrivilegeThe ALANA Student Center (ASC) and a dedicated committee of campus colleagues are excited to announce Examining White Privilege: A Retreat for Undergraduate Students Who Self-Identify as White. It’s a new retreat specifically for white students to engage in building a stronger and inclusive campus community.
                Program Description:

Students will have the opportunity to:

conceptualize and articulate whiteness from a personal and systematic lens;
                recognize and understand white privilege from an individual experience
                as well as the impact of white privilege on the UVM community and beyond;
                build a community of dialogue and support in taking action against racism.

We will explore questions like:

What does it mean to be white? How does whiteness impact you?
                What action steps can you take individually to interrupt racism?
                How can we make UVM a more inclusive community?

BARF.
                It's a whites-only retreat where white people talk about how privileged white people are above all other races. So it's a white supremacist retreat?

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                  It's a whites-only retreat where white people talk about how privileged white people are above all other races. So it's a white supremacist retreat?
                  Isn't "white privilege" supposed to be a BAD thing?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                    It's run by ALANA

===
                    Vision Statement

The ALANA Student Center (ASC) Vision is to create a diverse and rich community of empowered, engaged, and enthusiastic ALANA and Bi/Multiracial students at UVM who:
                    Are proud people of color who actively seek and create opportunities for self-development and personal understanding

studentpic.jpg

So basically it is various liberal minorities trying to lay a guilt trip on students for having the audacity of being born white.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      It's run by ALANA

===
                      Vision Statement

The ALANA Student Center (ASC) Vision is to create a diverse and rich community of empowered, engaged, and enthusiastic ALANA and Bi/Multiracial students at UVM who:
                      Are proud people of color who actively seek and create opportunities for self-development and personal understanding

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11535[/ATTACH]

So basically it is various liberal minorities trying to lay a guilt trip on students for having the audacity of being born white.
                      I'm kind of a peach-ish color...
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

But if pressed, supporters of privilege-checking will admit that privilege is not a bad thing. (In their terminology, privilege includes things like not being discriminated against--things that are not bad, but are desired for everyone. In general "privilege" means "not being oppressed".)
                        Then again, when not pressed, they tend to inconsistently slip back into speaking as if privilege is a bad thing.

Comment

Not to mention that the most extreme privilege is held by those who can pass for Black.
                          Back in the day, they would have been moving heaven and Earth to pass for White, to acquire THAT privilege. Now there is so infinitely much more (and seen quite often in various supposedly Black organizations) privilege and fawning glorification by pretending to be Black even though they are 7/8th White.
                          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment