Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating Christmas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Celebrating Christmas

Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
    Last edited by Jaxb; 11-20-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The shepherds celebrated the birth of the Christ child. We continue that tradition.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The apostles were not sola scriptura; we shouldn't be either.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

4. Amen Adam, Rushing Jaws, psstein amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxb View Post
    Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
    I would tell them to mind their own business. They're self-righteous hypocrites. Unless God's word expressly forbids it, they have no business judging others. (And yes, God's Word expressly forbids hypocrisy and self-righteousness.) Granted, there are some things I see in modern Christmas celebration that is clearly against Scripture: Greed, drunken parties, deceit, shoplifting.

Tell them to read Galatians.

We could go on to state the Scripture nowhere commands us to use electronic sound systems, electric lights, wood pews, drums, guitars, organs, Sunday School classes, etc.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    I would tell them to mind their own business. They're self-righteous hypocrites. Unless God's word expressly forbids it, they have no business judging others. (And yes, God's Word expressly forbids hypocrisy and self-righteousness.) Granted, there are some things I see in modern Christmas celebration that is clearly against Scripture: Greed, drunken parties, deceit, shoplifting.

Tell them to read Galatians.

We could go on to state the Scripture nowhere commands us to use electronic sound systems, electric lights, wood pews, drums, guitars, organs, Sunday School classes, etc.
    And don't forget the Old Testament verses that forbid you from chopping down a tree and bringing it in your house and decorating it!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    The apostles were not sola scriptura; we shouldn't be either.
    God's word says, ". . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live." -- Deuteronomy 8:3 [Matthew 4:4]

If God spook it or speaks it we must yet live by it.

The Holy Qur'an? The Book of Mormon? The prophecy translated from Holy Spirit speaking in tongues?

I am of the understanding that John the Apostle to whom God gave the book of Revelation was the last living Apostle and prophet on earth until the two [Moses and Elijah] of the Revelation return. So it has become Sola Scritura.

What God has not explicitly forbidden is not forbidden in that Christmas[as in remembering the birth of the Savior] is not contrary to God's word or His Law.
    Last edited by 37818; 11-21-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

8. Amen theophilus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The internet is not in the Bible. So...
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

10. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    God's word says, ". . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live." -- Deuteronomy 8:3 [Matthew 4:4]

If God spook it or speaks it we must yet live by it.
    Sure.
    The Holy Qur'an? The Book of Mormon?
    Don't be absurd. Besides, those who follow these writings consider them to be scripture.
    The prophecy translated from Holy Spirit speaking in tongues?
    As long as it's not another gospel.
    I am of the understanding that John the Apostle to whom God gave the book of Revelation was the last living Apostle and prophet on earth until the two [Moses and Elijah] of the Revelation return. So it has become Sola Scritura.
    Did God leave with the last living apostle?
    What God has not explicitly forbidden is not forbidden in that Christmas[as in remembering the birth of the Savior] is not contrary to God's word or His Law.
    ...a position which is not in scripture. Thanks for refuting your own argument.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    ...a position which is not in scripture. Thanks for refuting your own argument.
    [I do not think so] If that is what you think, you are welcome.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    The internet is not in the Bible. So...
    They were talking about the things that pertain to the worship of God.