Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celebrating Christmas

Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
    Last edited by Jaxb; 11-20-2015, 04:36 PM.

The shepherds celebrated the birth of the Christ child. We continue that tradition.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The apostles were not sola scriptura; we shouldn't be either.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
        Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
        I would tell them to mind their own business. They're self-righteous hypocrites. Unless God's word expressly forbids it, they have no business judging others. (And yes, God's Word expressly forbids hypocrisy and self-righteousness.) Granted, there are some things I see in modern Christmas celebration that is clearly against Scripture: Greed, drunken parties, deceit, shoplifting.

Tell them to read Galatians.

We could go on to state the Scripture nowhere commands us to use electronic sound systems, electric lights, wood pews, drums, guitars, organs, Sunday School classes, etc.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
          I would tell them to mind their own business. They're self-righteous hypocrites. Unless God's word expressly forbids it, they have no business judging others. (And yes, God's Word expressly forbids hypocrisy and self-righteousness.) Granted, there are some things I see in modern Christmas celebration that is clearly against Scripture: Greed, drunken parties, deceit, shoplifting.

Tell them to read Galatians.

We could go on to state the Scripture nowhere commands us to use electronic sound systems, electric lights, wood pews, drums, guitars, organs, Sunday School classes, etc.
          And don't forget the Old Testament verses that forbid you from chopping down a tree and bringing it in your house and decorating it!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            The apostles were not sola scriptura; we shouldn't be either.
            God's word says, ". . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live." -- Deuteronomy 8:3 [Matthew 4:4]

If God spook it or speaks it we must yet live by it.

The Holy Qur'an? The Book of Mormon? The prophecy translated from Holy Spirit speaking in tongues?

I am of the understanding that John the Apostle to whom God gave the book of Revelation was the last living Apostle and prophet on earth until the two [Moses and Elijah] of the Revelation return. So it has become Sola Scritura.

What God has not explicitly forbidden is not forbidden in that Christmas[as in remembering the birth of the Savior] is not contrary to God's word or His Law.
            Last edited by 37818; 11-21-2015, 04:11 PM.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The internet is not in the Bible. So...
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                God's word says, ". . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live." -- Deuteronomy 8:3 [Matthew 4:4]

If God spook it or speaks it we must yet live by it.
                Sure.
                The Holy Qur'an? The Book of Mormon?
                Don't be absurd. Besides, those who follow these writings consider them to be scripture.
                The prophecy translated from Holy Spirit speaking in tongues?
                As long as it's not another gospel.
                I am of the understanding that John the Apostle to whom God gave the book of Revelation was the last living Apostle and prophet on earth until the two [Moses and Elijah] of the Revelation return. So it has become Sola Scritura.
                Did God leave with the last living apostle?
                What God has not explicitly forbidden is not forbidden in that Christmas[as in remembering the birth of the Savior] is not contrary to God's word or His Law.
                ...a position which is not in scripture. Thanks for refuting your own argument.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  ...a position which is not in scripture. Thanks for refuting your own argument.
                  [I do not think so] If that is what you think, you are welcome.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    The internet is not in the Bible. So...
                    They were talking about the things that pertain to the worship of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      The shepherds celebrated the birth of the Christ child. We continue that tradition.
                      That is a good example.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        [I do not think so] If that is what you think, you are welcome.
                        If you think it is, please show it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          And don't forget the Old Testament verses that forbid you from chopping down a tree and bringing it in your house and decorating it!
                          Jeremiah 10?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Jeremiah 10?
                            Scrooge!

images.jpg
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
                              Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible.
                              On the other hand some Christians believe that any element that is not specifically forbidden can be included in worship.
                              One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
                              (Romans 14:5-9 ESV)

I don't know of any specific statement in the Bible either way, but the Bible does clearly command us not to judge a brother who interprets the Bible differently. Perhaps God deliberately left the question unresolved to give us the opportunity to show tolerance for those who don't interpret the Bible exactly the same way we do.
                              The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
                              Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X