Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrating Christmas

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The shepherds celebrated the birth of the Christ child. We continue that tradition.
    That is a good example.

2. Amen Cow Poke, LostSheep, 37818 amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    [I do not think so] If that is what you think, you are welcome.
    If you think it is, please show it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And don't forget the Old Testament verses that forbid you from chopping down a tree and bringing it in your house and decorating it!
    Jeremiah 10?

5. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Jeremiah 10?
    Scrooge!

images.jpg
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

tWebber
    Faith
    Evangelical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxb View Post
    Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible.
    On the other hand some Christians believe that any element that is not specifically forbidden can be included in worship.

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
    (Romans 14:5-9 ESV)

I don't know of any specific statement in the Bible either way, but the Bible does clearly command us not to judge a brother who interprets the Bible differently. Perhaps God deliberately left the question unresolved to give us the opportunity to show tolerance for those who don't interpret the Bible exactly the same way we do.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

8. Amen LostSheep amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'd like to know where in Scripture is the rule that only things mentioned in Scripture are permissible for worship.

(This seems like a Stone-Campbellite position.)
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

10. Amen Jedidiah, theophilus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I'd like to know where in Scripture is the rule that only things mentioned in Scripture are permissible for worship.

(This seems like a Stone-Campbellite position.)
    David 25:15b

12. Amen theophilus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxb View Post
    Many Christians believe that the only elements that should be included in the worship of God are the elements that are explicitly commanded by the Bible. According to the Bible, celebrating Christmas is not one of the elements included in the worship of God. Worshiping God should not include the celebration of Christmas. How would you respond to this?
    It seems you are asking whether or not Christmas type of traditions should be included along with baptism and the Lord's Supper.

To that I would say that inside of a Church there shouldn't be a Christmas tree, etc. Only because the tree and other things that often go along with celebrating Christ's birth do have their origins in pagan traditions surrounding the Winter solstice. Of course many church leaders are ignorant of this and thus bring these pagan traditions into the house of public worship. How God feels about it, I don't know.

We have a tree in our house. My wife likes having one. It does look nice. We enjoy it thru the lens of our Christian world-view.

14. Amen theophilus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
    It seems you are asking whether or not Christmas type of traditions should be included along with baptism and the Lord's Supper.

To that I would say that inside of a Church there shouldn't be a Christmas tree, etc. Only because the tree and other things that often go along with celebrating Christ's birth do have their origins in pagan traditions surrounding the Winter solstice. Of course many church leaders are ignorant of this and thus bring these pagan traditions into the house of public worship. How God feels about it, I don't know.

We have a tree in our house. My wife likes having one. It does look nice. We enjoy it thru the lens of our Christian world-view.
    Can you actually give examples of this instead of asserting it?

16. Amen Cow Poke, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    A lot of what is part of modern culture has come to us from previous cultures. The fact that we may use things from some other age does not carry any necessary spiritual baggage.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?