Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mountains and Groundwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Most underground rivers are due to cavernous limestone regions and not permeability of the rock itself. Limestone is often relatively impervious, but dissolves to form cavernous and cracked formations.
    I was talking about the overall composition of what's below the surface, not traits of specific aspects of that composition.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      It does. I just threw that bit of trivia in to mess you up.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Not true in the case of the Mojave River.
        Please note; I said most. Actually I was not specifically aware of the Mojave River geology and I had to do some homework.

The Mojave River is a rare case of a closed basin river system cut off from the an ancient drainage that flowed toward the Pacific by a mountain building event ~10 million years or more in the past. It is a desert environment with a weathered sandstone and limestone and alluvial strata underneath it. This creates an environment where in areas of weathered bedrock and alluvial deposits the river flows under the surface in part because the river no longer erodes a deeper channel in the weathered material because it no longer has an outlet to the sea. In contrast this uplift increased the channel erosion of the Colorado River and created a vaste canyon with an outlet to the sea.

The Mojave river system is a classic example of evidence supporting and ancient geologic series of events and an earth with hundreds of millions of years of geologic history.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-27-2015, 08:19 AM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            I was talking about the overall composition of what's below the surface, not traits of specific aspects of that composition.
            I have been addressing the differences and why the groundwater is different in different regions. The traits of the composition of the underlying strata is why the amount of groundwater is different regions. Limestone karst geology is one of the characteristic of major regions of the world with extensive groundwater. The Mojave River basin is not characteristic of a region, except in general it is part of a Dessert Basin Region of the Great Basin including Death Valley where limited recharge of the groundwater takes place due to being an arid region.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-27-2015, 12:25 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment