Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Turkey Downs Russian Warplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Downs Russian Warplane

Source: WashTimes

The U.S. military on Tuesday labeled as an “incursion” the Russian fighter jet that was shot down by Turkish aircraft over the Syria-Turkey border.

Army Col. Steve Warren, the top military spokesman in Baghdad, confirmed the Turk’s version of events in saying they repeatedly warned the two Russian SU-24 pilots to back off.

Col. Warren used the word “incursion” to describe the Russian flight, but also said the command was studying radars and other data, such as radio chatter, to make a definite conclusion.

© Copyright Original Source

This could get really nasty.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Source: WashTimes

The U.S. military on Tuesday labeled as an “incursion” the Russian fighter jet that was shot down by Turkish aircraft over the Syria-Turkey border.

Army Col. Steve Warren, the top military spokesman in Baghdad, confirmed the Turk’s version of events in saying they repeatedly warned the two Russian SU-24 pilots to back off.

Col. Warren used the word “incursion” to describe the Russian flight, but also said the command was studying radars and other data, such as radio chatter, to make a definite conclusion.

This could get really nasty.
    That is SO not what I expected from the title. Too close to Thanksgiving.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

So does the president get to pardon Turkey this year?
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        That is SO not what I expected from the title. Too close to Thanksgiving.
        Reminds me of Hunt For Red October's Admiral Josh Painter (played by the late Fred Thompson): "This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And it gets more "interesting":

Source: Russian rescue helicopter 'shot down by Syrian rebels' while searching for pilots of plane downed by Turkey

A Russian rescue helicopter has been shot down by Syrian rebels while searching for pilots missing after Turkey downed a Russian jet.

The helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing in a government-held area in Syria's Latakia province.

A Syrian insurgent group, which uses U.S. Tow missiles, said its fighters hit the helicopter with an anti-tank missile.

Video footage has emerged online appearing to show the helicopter after it crashed in dense woodland.

Plumes of smoke can be seen coming from the aircraft.

Vladmir Putin earlier warned Turkey of "significant consequences" after the Russian plane was shot down.

The Russian President also said the action by Turkey was a "stab in the back" and said it would have serious consequences for his country’s relations with Turkey.

Turkey claimed it shot down the fighter jet because it violated its airspace.

However, Putin said the jet was shot down in Syria, 4km from the Turkish border.

Source

The story continues at the link above which includes a video and stills (two of which can be seen below) of the jet going down.

There are conflicting reports over whether the pilots of the jet or the helicopter were killed by the rebels.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, NATO does....

Source: YahooNews

Brussels (AFP) - NATO allies will hold an "extraordinary" meeting Tuesday at Ankara's request to discuss Turkey's shooting down of a Russian fighter jet along the Syrian border, an alliance official said.

"At the request of Turkey, the North Atlantic Council will hold an extraordinary meeting at (1600 GMT). The aim of this extraordinary NAC is for Turkey to inform Allies about the downing of a Russian airplane," the official told AFP.

The North Atlantic Council consists of ambassadors from the 28 NATO member states.

Comment

Wars have been fought over less.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Comment

Something tells me that threats made by Putin are to be taken far more seriously than those made by Obama.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Something tells me that threats made by Putin are to be taken far more seriously than those made by Obama.
                    Or sweet little Justin.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

But Obama will show him! He will attend ANOTHER conference on climate change! There! That'll do it! Putin will run for the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Reminds me of Hunt For Red October's Admiral Josh Painter (played by the late Fred Thompson): "This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."
                        I think what follows now is a good deal of public soothing of Russian feathers to save Putins ‘face’, secret agreement over Russian sports ban and much closer cooperation in the fight against the Wrath of God as expressed by IS terrorism.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          I think what follows now is a good deal of public soothing of Russian feathers to save Putins ‘face’, secret agreement over Russian sports ban and much closer cooperation in the fight against the Wrath of God as expressed by IS terrorism.
                          I think that we may see Putin making very public overtures toward the Kurds in the name of fighting ISIS but really to piss the Turks off, much more bombing of non-ISIS Syrian rebel groups by Russian jets which will drop many more bombs than 20 and threats to shut off fuel pipelines to Europe if any NATO members too actively support Turkey
                          Last edited by rogue06; 11-24-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I think that we may see Putin making very public overtures toward the Kurds in the name of fighting ISIS but really to piss the Turks off, much more bombing of non-ISIS Syrian rebel groups by Russian jets which will drop many more bombs than 20 and threats to shut off fuel pipelines to Europe if any NATO members too actively support Turkey
                            Yeah, supporting the Kurds would torque Turkey off almost as much as referring to the Armenian genocide. Some of the non-ISIS rebel groups are Kurds, IIRC. It's a really tangled web over there and there are no good sides.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ya THINK, Dinozzo?

Comment