Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Climate change - the real cause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate change - the real cause

California is experiencing one of the worst droughts in its history. Israel once suffered a severe drought. Perhaps a study of that drought will give some ideas about how to cope with the one in California.

Here is what caused it the drought.
    In the thirty-eighth year of Asa king of Judah, Ahab the son of Omri began to reign over Israel, and Ahab the son of Omri reigned over Israel in Samaria twenty-two years. And Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD, more than all who were before him.

And as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, he took for his wife Jezebel the daughter of Ethbaal king of the Sidonians, and went and served Baal and worshiped him. He erected an altar for Baal in the house of Baal, which he built in Samaria. And Ahab made an Asherah. Ahab did more to provoke the LORD, the God of Israel, to anger than all the kings of Israel who were before him.

In his days Hiel of Bethel built Jericho. He laid its foundation at the cost of Abiram his firstborn, and set up its gates at the cost of his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spoke by Joshua the son of Nun.

Now Elijah the Tishbite, of Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, “As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, before whom I stand, there shall be neither dew nor rain these years, except by my word.”
    1 Kings 16:29-17:1 ESV

The drought began when the people of Israel turned from God and began to worship Baal. It ended when they repented of their Baal worship and returned to God.
    And at the time of the offering of the oblation, Elijah the prophet came near and said, “O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, and that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your word. Answer me, O LORD, answer me, that this people may know that you, O LORD, are God, and that you have turned their hearts back.”

Then the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt offering and the wood and the stones and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, “The LORD, he is God; the LORD, he is God.”

And Elijah said to them, “Seize the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape.” And they seized them. And Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon and slaughtered them there.

And Elijah said to Ahab, “Go up, eat and drink, for there is a sound of the rushing of rain.” So Ahab went up to eat and to drink.

And Elijah went up to the top of Mount Carmel. And he bowed himself down on the earth and put his face between his knees. And he said to his servant, “Go up now, look toward the sea.” And he went up and looked and said, “There is nothing.” And he said, “Go again,” seven times.

And at the seventh time he said, “Behold, a little cloud like a man’s hand is rising from the sea.” And he said, “Go up, say to Ahab, ‘Prepare your chariot and go down, lest the rain stop you.’”

And in a little while the heavens grew black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode and went to Jezreel.
    1 Kings 18:36-45 ESV

Israel’s drought took place because the people rejected God. Could California’s drought have the same cause? The people of the United States are rejecting God and his standards of right and wrong so we have given God plenty of reasons for punishing us. The drought may be confined to California but it affects the whole country.

If the cause is the same, the solution is the same. The people of America need to repent of their sins and begin obeying God.

Israel’s drought wasn’t the first time God used the weather as a means of punishing sin.
    Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.

And God said to Noah, “I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Make yourself an ark of gopher wood. Make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark 300 cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it with lower, second, and third decks.

For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die.”
    Genesis 6:11-17 ESV

And it won’t be the last.
    The fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was allowed to scorch people with fire. They were scorched by the fierce heat, and they cursed the name of God who had power over these plagues. They did not repent and give him glory.
    Revelation 16:8-9 ESV

The earth is going to experience a time of global warming that will make today’s climate seem like an ice age by comparison.

Scientists debate the question of whether climate change is caused by human activity. The Bible shows that it is, but not in the way most people think. God controls our physical climate and he sometimes alters it in response to the moral climate.

It is impossible to understand our weather and climate by looking only at natural causes. Climate changes often have supernatural causes.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Oh boy...

This thread needs BADLY to be moved out of Nat. Sci.

Comment

Moderated By: Littlejoe

Moved to a more appropriate forum. Nat. Sci. would not encompass a purely Biblical Theme.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Do we have the same kind of relationship with God that Israel had? why do you think so?
        Metacrock's Blog

The Religious a priori: apologetics for 21st ccentury

The Trace of God by Joseph Hinman

Comment

California's drought may have ended this winter, but I don't think they repented.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cow View Post
            California's drought may have ended this winter, but I don't think they repented.
            Are you kidding! I think California made bargain with the Devil.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-22-2016, 09:19 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Actually, there are increasing cycles of droughts since the last Ice Age. The Sahara and much of the Middle East was once a grassland savanah. The increasing drought cycles caused the human migration to the river valleys and stimulated the civilizations in Egypt, Israel, and Mesopotamia. This increasing of the desert region of the world is apparent all around the world particularly recently in Asia and America. It is a matter of debat how much of the recent increase in droughts is due to Global Warming, or the continuing natural rend to the growing of arid regions.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I dunno....Revelation has an awfully lot of symbolism in it.....
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X