Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

TWeb Bible Study Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I think it has to do with me using the HCSB while browsing biblegateway, In HCSB Col 1:9-14 (Titled: Prayer for Spiritual Growth in HCSB) and 1:15-20(23) (The Centrality of Christ) are split into two different sections. I'm fine with expanding it to also include Paul's "poem" about Christ, i.e up to verse 20.
    Done. My print NKJV shows paragraph breaks at verses 9 and 19.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The phrase, Διὰ τοῦτο καὶ ἡμεῖς, . . . at the start of our v.9, "For this cause we also, . . ." refers to what was in the text before this. Even though this (v.9) in the translations is a start of a new paragraph. What follows is in reference to what was just referred to. Such as v.8, ". . . your love in the Spirit."

". . . since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; " Which introduces the reasons for this.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Continuing from v.9 ". . . since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; (v.10) That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; . . ."

The NKJV reads more clearly, " . . . that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing [Him], . . ."
        ". . . being fruitful in every good work, . . ." this is a characteristic of being saved (Ephesians 2:10; 3 John 11).
        ". . . and increasing in the knowledge of God; . . ." BTW is why we are doing Bible study.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Reading from a little further back of the chapter, Paul writes:

Source: Colossians 3-8 HCSB

We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, 4 for we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints 5 because of the hope reserved for you in heaven. You have already heard about this hope in the message of truth, the gospel 6 that has come to you. It is bearing fruit and growing all over the world, just as it has among you since the day you heard it and recognized God’s grace in the truth. 7 You learned this from Epaphras, our dearly loved fellow slave. He is a faithful servant of the Messiah on your behalf, 8 and he has told us about your love in the Spirit.

© Copyright Original Source

At the risk of being obvious, it would seem to me then that Paul is thanking God that the gospel has been allowed to bear fruit in the community at Colossae, and that verses 9-12 is essentially Paul saying that he's praying for this positive trend to continue.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X