Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

TWeb Bible Study Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWeb Bible Study Thread

Discussions about the rules/guidelines and what this thread will be all about can be found in this thread: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ge-is-in-order (first relevant post)

For now, just post in the other thread (the one I linked above) if you're interested in joining this bible study. After we've figured out rules/guidelines for the study that most people are happy about we'll start discussing what bible passage we want to study first in this thread.

I would appreciate it if no one posts in this thread yet, until we're done with the discussion in the other thread, since I'm planning on using the second post in this thread to list the rules/guidelines that we settle on in the other thread
    Last edited by JonathanL; 11-27-2015, 07:06 AM.

1. Respectful dialogue (keep it insult-free). While healthy debate is encouraged, this is not the place for us to be kept up in minutiae. If the debate goes stale, move on to greener pastures. And for the non-Christians that decide to join (if there are any), this is not the place for you to attack the reliability or perceived moral failings in the Bible. Debating should be strictly about the proper interpretation and application of the chosen Bible passage.

2. Non-Christians would be allowed to participate, as long as they are working under the assumption that what the Bible says is true (i.e, we would be discussing what the bible says, not debating whether any of it's teachings and descriptions of events are accurate)

3. During the beginning of each session the participants choose a passage, and discuss it. At the end of the session we close the discussion, and begin choosing the passage for the next session.

Comment

I initially thought that sessions should be "time-constrained" so that we wouldn't spend forever on one single passage, but ultimately decided against it. We'll figure out how much time we want to spend on each passage as we go along.

Comment

I should probably also mention that the thread is open if you feel like posting here. If nothing else you can just post in order to get subscribed to the thread.

Comment

I just click on the Thread Tools/Subscribe button . Looks like I can live with all of the rules so far.

Comment

Are you going to leave your hair blue?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So it is fair to assume this will be a one verse [or topic of verses] at a time?
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Are you going to leave your hair blue?
                Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  So it is fair to assume this will be a one verse [or topic of verses] at a time?
                  I don't know, I was thinking more like bigger sections of scripture (passages/pericopes), rather than just a single verse.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    I was going to send you a reply to your latest PM, but I get this message:
                    37818 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Comment

Also, my suggestion as to the initial section for this study would be Colossians 1:9-14. Please feel free to come up with other suggestions as well.

Comment

Scripture Verse: Col 1:9-20 NA26

9Διὰ τοῦτο καὶ ἡμεῖς, ἀφ' ἧς ἡμέρας ἠκούσαμεν, οὐ παυόμεθα ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν προσευχόμενοι καὶ αἰτούμενοι ἵνα πληρωθῆτε τὴν ἐπίγνωσιν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ ἐν πάσῃ σοφίᾳ καὶ συνέσει πνευματικῇ, 10περιπατῆσαι ἀξίως τοῦ κυρίου εἰς πᾶσαν ἀρεσκείαν, ἐν παντὶ ἔργῳ ἀγαθῷ καρποφοροῦντες καὶ αὐξανόμενοι τῇ ἐπιγνώσει τοῦ θεοῦ, 11ἐν πάσῃ δυνάμει δυναμούμενοι κατὰ τὸ κράτος τῆς δόξης αὐτοῦ εἰς πᾶσαν ὑπομονὴν καὶ μακροθυμίαν, μετὰ χαρᾶς 12εὐχαριστοῦντες τῷ πατρὶ τῷ ἱκανώσαντι ὑμᾶς εἰς τὴν μερίδα τοῦ κλήρου τῶν ἁγίων ἐν τῷ φωτί: 13ὃς ἐρρύσατο ἡμᾶς ἐκ τῆς ἐξουσίας τοῦ σκότους καὶ μετέστησεν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ υἱοῦ τῆς ἀγάπης αὐτοῦ, 14ἐν ᾧ ἔχομεν τὴν ἀπολύτρωσιν, τὴν ἄφεσιν τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν: 15ὅς ἐστιν εἰκὼν τοῦ θεοῦ τοῦ ἀοράτου, πρωτότοκος πάσης κτίσεως, 16ὅτι ἐν αὐτῷ ἐκτίσθη τὰ πάντα ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς καὶ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς, τὰ ὁρατὰ καὶ τὰ ἀόρατα, εἴτε θρόνοι εἴτε κυριότητες εἴτε ἀρχαὶ εἴτε ἐξουσίαι: τὰ πάντα δι' αὐτοῦ καὶ εἰς αὐτὸν ἔκτισται, 17καὶ αὐτός ἐστιν πρὸ πάντων καὶ τὰ πάντα ἐν αὐτῷ συνέστηκεν. 18καὶ αὐτός ἐστιν ἡ κεφαλὴ τοῦ σώματος, τῆς ἐκκλησίας: ὅς ἐστιν ἀρχή, πρωτότοκος ἐκ τῶν νεκρῶν, ἵνα γένηται ἐν πᾶσιν αὐτὸς πρωτεύων, 19ὅτι ἐν αὐτῷ εὐδόκησεν πᾶν τὸ πλήρωμα κατοικῆσαι 20καὶ δι' αὐτοῦ ἀποκαταλλάξαι τὰ πάντα εἰς αὐτόν, εἰρηνοποιήσας διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ σταυροῦ αὐτοῦ, [δι' αὐτοῦ] εἴτε τὰ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς εἴτε τὰ ἐν τοῖς οὐρανοῖς.

© Copyright Original Source

source

English versions
                        Last edited by One Bad Pig; 12-08-2015, 12:45 PM. Reason: Edited to add verses 15-20.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Scripture Verse: Col 1:9-14 NA26

9Διὰ τοῦτο καὶ ἡμεῖς, ἀφ' ἧς ἡμέρας ἠκούσαμεν, οὐ παυόμεθα ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν προσευχόμενοι καὶ αἰτούμενοι ἵνα πληρωθῆτε τὴν ἐπίγνωσιν τοῦ θελήματος αὐτοῦ ἐν πάσῃ σοφίᾳ καὶ συνέσει πνευματικῇ, 10περιπατῆσαι ἀξίως τοῦ κυρίου εἰς πᾶσαν ἀρεσκείαν, ἐν παντὶ ἔργῳ ἀγαθῷ καρποφοροῦντες καὶ αὐξανόμενοι τῇ ἐπιγνώσει τοῦ θεοῦ, 11ἐν πάσῃ δυνάμει δυναμούμενοι κατὰ τὸ κράτος τῆς δόξης αὐτοῦ εἰς πᾶσαν ὑπομονὴν καὶ μακροθυμίαν, μετὰ χαρᾶς 12εὐχαριστοῦντες τῷ πατρὶ τῷ ἱκανώσαντι ὑμᾶς εἰς τὴν μερίδα τοῦ κλήρου τῶν ἁγίων ἐν τῷ φωτί: 13ὃς ἐρρύσατο ἡμᾶς ἐκ τῆς ἐξουσίας τοῦ σκότους καὶ μετέστησεν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ υἱοῦ τῆς ἀγάπης αὐτοῦ, 14ἐν ᾧ ἔχομεν τὴν ἀπολύτρωσιν, τὴν ἄφεσιν τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν:

© Copyright Original Source

source

Just wait a few month's and I'll have something insightful to say, I need to learn some Greek first.

ETA: Nice edit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

Just wait a few month's and I'll have something insightful to say, I need to learn some Greek first.
                            Me too. I can pick out only a few words. What I can see, even without that, is that you picked out less than a full sentence in the original Greek. Should we expand the selection?

ETA: Nice edit.
                            I should have thought to put it there before I posted.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Me too. I can pick out only a few words. What I can see, even without that, is that you picked out less than a full sentence in the original Greek. Should we expand the selection?
                              I think it has to do with me using the HCSB while browsing biblegateway, In HCSB Col 1:9-14 (Titled: Prayer for Spiritual Growth in HCSB) and 1:15-20(23) (The Centrality of Christ) are split into two different sections. I'm fine with expanding it to also include Paul's "poem" about Christ, i.e up to verse 20.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X