Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion derail from the Active Shooter thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    You left out the actual Latin meaning of fetus: late 14c., "the young while in the womb or egg" (tending to mean vaguely the embryo in the later stage of development), from Latin fetus (often, incorrectly, foetus) "the bearing or hatching of young, a bringing forth," from Latin base *fe- "to generate, bear," also "to suck, suckle" (see fecund).

But either way, fetus does not mean an unborn child in Latin.
    Conceptually, it can.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      And as I said, that may be the most common usage (to describe the stage otherwise known as "infant"), but it still does not in any way invalidate its common usage as describing a fetus, a toddler, a grown woman, or a powder blue mustang.
      So when you use a word you don't intend the most common usage that's consistent with the context? When you wrote "stage" above, you weren't referring to part of a development process, but a theatrical platform or a rocket component? Did 'the stage otherwise known as "infant"' have six horses, or only four? How many of those horses were powder blue mustangs?

Next time you refer to "killing babies" how is anyone supposed to know that you aren't just talking about unfunding pet projects?
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

But either way, fetus does not mean an unborn child in Latin.
        Conceptually, it can.
        You just cited a source that says it doesn't.

Or is this Humpty-Dumptyism, in that conceptually any word can mean anything?
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

You just cited a source that says it doesn't.
          You're high. I cited the word origin site that says it was applied to the unborn AND the born. Or does "the young while in the womb " mean somethin else in puff the magic dragon-land?

Or is this Humpty-Dumptyism, in that conceptually any word can mean anything?
          It's us laughing at you desperately trying to obfuscate a rather clear subject for no other apparent reason than it is us saying it.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So when you use a word you don't intend the most common usage that's consistent with the context?
            Of course I do. That's why context is so important.

When you wrote "stage" above, you weren't referring to part of a development process, but a theatrical platform or a rocket component?
            The context was clear enough to eliminate the latter two definitions.

Did 'the stage otherwise known as "infant"' have six horses, or only four? How many of those horses were powder blue mustangs?
            Desperate times are calling for desperate red herrings, I see?

Next time you refer to "killing babies" how is anyone supposed to know that you aren't just talking about unfunding pet projects?
            Because the context of the discussion will make that clear. Or one could just ask instead of being a dirt bag...
            Last edited by Bill the Cat; 11-30-2015, 09:19 AM.
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Apparently everyone got back from church today fired up to do battle against all pro-choice and even non-pro-life posters on your Christian website, and it happened on the thread that doesn't relate to that subject at all.
              Perhaps you are all Catholics, Episcopalians, or (like me) Lutheran, and today was the First Sunday of Advent. So we're thinking about the coming of Christ as a child, a baby, thus even yet in the womb....
              Excellent food for thought, though the battle-foray eschewed religion as such.
              Come to think of it, I think lots of other denominations have picked up liturgical trappings, particularly for Christmas (Advent really) and Easter. Who's on the roll now, Methodists (always derivative from Anglicanism), Presbyterians (in spite of Puritan hostility), which brings me to the elephant in the room, Baptists. Should we start a thread on Advent praciices, particularly in denominations that used to scorn liturgy, even Christmas (who still does besides Jehovan's Witnesses--I think even Seventh Day Adventists close businesses on Easter and Christmas)?
              Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

I go to a Southern Baptist church, and it is the first Sunday of Advent here too! Oh yeah. The Word became a zygote, right?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Then why do you keep doing it?
                  You're not really all that smart, are you? It means that it's heinous enough without needing to make it "seem worse". Killing a baby is an unconscionable act.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now, to accept your challenge, I googled "having a baby", and the following results were included in the top 50 results:
                    I googled "baby" and found a number of images of pregnant women, albeit nude, for some reason. Which is why I didn't post them.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But it could refer to a small piano, if that person were so inclined. The term "baby" is a very broad term that encompasses several different things. My niece is pregnant with her first baby. My other niece took her baby to see Santa today. My baby just went back to college. My brother's car is his baby. My best friend's brother calls his dog his baby. Trying to dismiss all others in favor of the most popular usage is wrong.
                      The "Car Doctor" on our local radio station always ends his show with "Kiss your wife, hug your kids, and keep your BABY in your garage!"

Comment

Really?

This was your question: "Are you saying that the above differences are significant enough to merit killing the fetus?"

You wouldn't ask an anti-abortionist how they justified killing fetuses, would you? So you must have assumed I was in favour of abortion. It's implicit in your question.

Non-trivial and not entirely settled. Not that it matters since just about everyone here seems to know my yet unstated position better than I do.
                        So now who's assuming? I put in front of my question because I didn't know the answer. You may also note the "?" at the end of my sentence. But if asking for clarification on your beliefs is this offensive to you, maybe I shouldn't do it anymore.

But thanks for the clarification anyway.

Edit: FWIW, I was genuinely asking for the purposes of understanding.
                        Last edited by Zymologist; 11-29-2015, 08:36 PM.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          How does one "lightly" murder an unborn child?
                          One is aborting an embryo/ fetus, not an "unborn child", and it's not a decision to be taken lightly. This is the sort of emotive rhetoric that encourages crazies to "murder" human beings.

Many people do not share your religious view that embryos are fully-fledged humans from the moment of conception. E.g. traditional Jewish Law says that a fetus only becomes a full-fledged human being when the head emerges from the womb. And many Christians (and atheists) do not believe an embryo is a “human being from the moment of conception.

You’re attempting to impose your views on everyone else.

Well, the unborn can't speak for themselves, so somebody needs to step up.
                          No they don’t. More hysterical rhetoric!

I don't believe you've seen anybody here argue that murdering abortion "practitioners" is acceptable.
                          Really! The likes of you are partly responsible. "It's not enough to denounce the tragedy without also denouncing the poisonous rhetoric that fueled it". Dawn Laguens, executive vice president of Planned Parenthood.

And the most poisonous rhetoric of all was from The Center for Medical Progress, a front for anti-abortion, extremists, which has been running a highly orchestrated campaign…supported by many here…to discredit Planned Parenthood and ultimately undermine legal and safe abortion. The group recently released heavily edited, deceptive and dishonest videos about Planned Parenthood designed to generate political support to defund the organization and generate public outrage. And tragically, it’s succeeded with the last. I hope you're pleased with yourself.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Have you seen any non christians harrassing, bombing, or killing doctors of planned parenthood clinics?
                            Actually a minuscule percentage of people have killed or attempted to kill PP doctors. So your post is really a beside the point.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You're high. I cited the word origin site that says it was applied to the unborn AND the born. Or does "the young while in the womb " mean somethin else in puff the magic dragon-land?
                              You cited the word origin site that says it was applied to the unborn and the born in English. Not in Latin.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                You're not really all that smart, are you? It means that it's heinous enough without needing to make it "seem worse". Killing a baby is an unconscionable act.
                                If killing a fetus is heinous enough then you don't need to refer to it as killing a 'baby', which is misinterpretable and may make it seem worse.

Yet you keep on doing it.

Why?

Comment