Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who do you say Jesus of Nazareth is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you say Jesus of Nazareth is?

Have I already done this? If so, sorry. I'm sure everyone knows what part of the Bible I'm referencing and that most Christians would just copy what Peter says, so what are all the different things that people say Jesus is?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

The man Jesus of Nazareth (Acts 4:10, 12) is God's only-begotten Son (John 3:16; John 5:18) who died for the sins of all mankind[world] (1 Corinthians 15:3; 1 John 2:2) and that He is the LORD God in the flesh (John 1:1, 14; Isaiah 43:10, 11) who as a man was buried and rose from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:4) justifying them that believe (Romans 4:25) and demonstrating He was the Son of God (Romans 1:4).

But people say all kinds of things, a good teacher. A Muslim that Jesus was [Christ, son of Mary] a prophet of Allah.
    Last edited by 37818; 11-29-2015, 05:27 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

We already knew that, Peter. What does everyone else think Jesus is? A good man? A prophet? I've heard that many ideologies seek to shoehorn Jesus into their ideology. So, I want a discussion of that. Noth the "church" answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Have I already done this? If so, sorry. I'm sure everyone knows what part of the Bible I'm referencing and that most Christians would just copy what Peter says, so what are all the different things that people say Jesus is?
        Scholarly view: An eschatological prophet who expected the imminent action of YHWH in history, who was crucified by the Romans, buried, and then "appeared" (in what sense is uncertain) to his followers soon afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
          Scholarly view: An eschatological prophet who expected the imminent action of YHWH in history, who was crucified by the Romans, buried, and then "appeared" (in what sense is uncertain) to his followers soon afterward.
          The Baha'i view, and mine, is he was the promised Messiah for the age, spiritually the 'Son of God,' in the theme of cyclic evolving progressive Revelation for the spiritual salvation of humanity through out the history of humanity. The high lighted above reflects the Baha'i view.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

We already knew that, Peter. What does everyone else think Jesus is? A good man? A prophet? I've heard that many ideologies seek to shoehorn Jesus into their ideology. So, I want a discussion of that. Noth the "church" answer.
            Well, a member here on TWeb once said that Jesus was a "necromancer".

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Well, a member here on TWeb once said that Jesus was a "necromancer".
              Is it because He rose the dead? That's pretty nutty.

Comment

He raised a couple others from the dead. That is the origin of that dumb 'necromancer' thought I suspect.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  He raised a couple others from the dead. That is the origin of that dumb 'necromancer' thought I suspect.
                  Isn't necromancy something different? Communicating with the dead or something? Because if resuscitating dead people counts as necromancy, ER doctors count as such when they bring back someone from cardiac arrest!

Comment

Isn't necromancy something different? Communicating with the dead or something? Because if resuscitating dead people counts as necromancy, ER doctors count as such when they bring back someone from cardiac arrest!
                    Necromancy can be communing with the dead, but it also includes raising zombies.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

And someone brought back to life ain't a zombie! Zombies are undead.

Comment

Yeah, it is just another attack on Christianity.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Boy, some people don't understand revivification and Resurrection. What happened with Jarius' daughter was a miracle similar to what happens in a successful code blue where the patient is brought back. Jesus obviously didn't need to use CPR and drugs to do it. A resurrected body is to a mortal body what a mortal body is to a zombie.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X