Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why are some people so dogmatic about ttheir eschatological views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do different understandings of peripheral issues fall under your super strict evaluation here. No one on earth is omniscient so I am missing the sense of what you wrote. In Romans 14 Paul very clearly points out that believers will have some differences in non-essentials. What you write seems to me to conflict with what Paul wrote there. Can you clarify.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Parakletos View Post
      Now, majority of christians possess ignorance, and there is no way that these people, because of ignorance, can learn from preaching, or of teaching doctrines, but they will be saved by believing the prophesies and of the prophets and leaders that is being witnessed in those prophesies.
      I don't think ignorance means what you think it means. People who are ignorant are by no means incapable of learning - they may just not have been exposed to proper teaching.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I concur with OBP. If not for some serious scholarship, prayer, and good humor I would not be here. Or be a believer. I was ignorant. When I learned the truth it changed me.

For example I used to think that Jesus simply lied and that he was born of an affair.
        sigpic

Comment

In the second century, Justin Martyr wrote about his belief in what we would now call premillennialism, then followed it up with this comment:

Many who belong to the pure and pious faith, and are true Christians, think otherwise.
          This early influential Christian thinker recognized there was room for Christians to disagree on eschatology. He knew there were other hills to die on, and he wrote about some of these.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I don't think ignorance means what you think it means. People who are ignorant are by no means incapable of learning - they may just not have been exposed to proper teaching.
            I refer to both those incapable and capable of learning.

Some elect who will partake of eternal life are incapable learning. It is the prophesy, which can easily be proved through observation, that will convince them to submit to the authority of leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              How do different understandings of peripheral issues fall under your super strict evaluation here. No one on earth is omniscient so I am missing the sense of what you wrote.
              It is actually impossible to determine, or set boundaries. And even when we focus on one issue, our lack of omniscience would itself divide us in tackling the issue, and we may not be able to determine the consequential damage of our division.

Observing our differences in a small group is different in observing in a larger group. It is different to observe Russians and Americans in small groups, or as individuals, to observing Russians and Americans as nations. It will be hard to say what will be the "non essential differences" as a group or even as individuals to attain our unity.

In Romans 14 Paul very clearly points out that believers will have some differences in non-essentials. What you write seems to me to conflict with what Paul wrote there. Can you clarify.
              What Paul was addressing is actually the problem of us being judges among ourselves in general. And it touches the very issue about how to go after about our differences. Paul's is more broad in subject, it touches the basic reason of grace that we will all stand to be judged by God and none can be justified even by the very rules that each of us hold. Paul's address on the issue is not about accepting the differences as natural, rather it is stressed that it is God who would strengthen and straighten those who are weak in faith. In Paul's address, those weak in faith are considered in the process of growth, until they come to the knowledge of truth. The goal for every Christian is this:

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; - Eph 4:11-14

But our issue here is how would we judge the differences. There should be no differences in belief for we should have a "unity" of faith, as Paul clearly said. But this applies only strictly to the leaders.

However, I am addressing of how we go tackle our differences with those ignorant in the church body. We, ourselves, cannot know how to deal with the ignorant, for we cannot know what would be essential or non essential to an ignorant. And that is what I was pointing out in general in my responses; that we cannot really be judges of what is, or what is not, essential.

What Paul addresses in Rom 14 is more broad, for it touches the issue that even we who are united in faith, are subject to cause issues (division, etc.,) because of our weaknesses. And for this, we would also even be divided because of our weaknesses, though we be united in faith, or claim of "essential" beliefs. So here we will surely face all the issues about how we face differences. What I am bringing everyone to conviction is that we can not really stand as judges among ourselves. And it is this issue that I want to raise to support the reason of the importance of prophesies. It will really be hard to know which among our leaders are anointed of God, it is the prophesy that will help us know who should be our leaders.
              Last edited by Parakletos; 10-16-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X