Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion derail from the Active Shooter thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briefly because my time is short:
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    It is just Roy making that assumption. He 'feels' that 'we' assume 'he' is pro abortion because he is atheist. No one made any such connection that I noticed.
    Did you miss this?

"If you took the fetus out via an EXIT procedure and immediately put "it" on ECMO, can you still kill it?"

It's not my assumption. It has happened here before, and elsewhere too, most noticeably on [redacted] where a couple of comments on Darwin's scientific pedigree in a thread about Planned Parenthood videos elicited a suggestion that I was in favour of the sale of fetal organs. Link available later if desired.

I don't think it's necessarily atheism-related, more that there are people who assume that anyone critical of a pro-lifer in a thread on abortion must be an abortion advocate.

Roy
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Briefly because my time is short:Did you miss this?

"If you took the fetus out via an EXIT procedure and immediately put "it" on ECMO, can you still kill it?"

It's not my assumption. It has happened here before, and elsewhere too, most noticeably on [redacted] where a couple of comments on Darwin's scientific pedigree in a thread about Planned Parenthood videos elicited a suggestion that I was in favour of the sale of fetal organs. Link available later if desired.

I don't think it's necessarily atheism-related, more that there are people who assume that anyone critical of a pro-lifer in a thread on abortion must be an abortion advocate.

Roy
      Sorry. I wasn't aware of your exact position.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Incredibly, in addition to a religious belief, AFTER having been involved in the medical field I only came to the conclusion that abortion was even more wrong, for biological reasons which had no propaganda behind them.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I made another post to Roy that you may have missed, but regardless, I honestly wasn't intending to characterize him as "pro-abortion because he's an atheist" in my post.
          I didn't miss it, and I know you didn't.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            "An unborn fetus in Jewish law is not considered a person (Heb. nefesh, lit. “soul”) until it has been born. The fetus is regarded as a part of the mother’s body and not a separate being until it begins to egress from the womb during parturition (childbirth)."
            Since I am not Jewish I really do not care what Jewish law might consider.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Even after reading your quote I fail to see any atheism connection here. Sorry to be so ignorant.

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Briefly because my time is short:Did you miss this?

Roy
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Sorry. I wasn't aware of your exact position.
                I am still not aware of his exact position on abortion? More of my ignorance I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMD View Post
                  What exactly do you mean by "fully-fledged?" Human physical development doesn't peak until anywhere from the late teens to the mid twenties, and mental development is not complete until around the mid twenties, so one could very easily say that until someone hits their mid twenties, they are not "fully-fledged human."

And "many people do not consider..." is irrelevant to reality. Many racists "do not consider" black people to be "fully-fledged human," for instance.
                  It should be pretty obvious:

It's a made up line drawn in the sand to justify abortion.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Anti-abortion violence is wrong. Period.
                    Then stop inciting it with dishonest videos and hysterical propaganda.

It's not just Christians. Many unbelievers also know that a human is being murdered, and your goofy attempt to make it "dishonest propaganda" is noted. You're not playing with a full deck.
                    Many people including many Christians do not regard the embryo or fetus as a human being for the obvious reason that they're not. For you to refer to "humans being murdered" is simply emotional clap-trap of the type that incites violence among the less stable...as we've seen and not just with the latest episode.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    By a man who is a little less emotionally stable than you, apparently.
                    ...consequent to incitement by religious bullies like you determined to ensure that only their views count.

And it's not just one deranged man:

"...an alarming spike in death threats and violent acts against abortion providers, clinics and companies that work with them since the undercover videos of Planned Parenthood were released. Two Planned Parenthood clinics have reported arsons, anti-abortion protesters are showing up in large numbers at doctors' homes, and commenters on conservative websites and online forums are calling for the bombings of abortion clinics across the country..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b7a9633c3f47

And still you deny any culpability.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 12-01-2015, 10:49 PM.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Since I am not Jewish I really do not care what Jewish law might consider.
                      And of course the views of those who think differently from you don’t matter. But of course they don’t. <sarcasm>

http://abortion.procon.org/view.reso...ourceID=004208
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Then stop inciting it with dishonest videos and hysterica propaganda.

Many people including many Christians do not regard the embryo or fetus as a human being for the obvious reason that they're not. For you to refer to "humans being murdered" is simply emotional clap-trap of the type that incites violence among the less stable...as we've seen and not just with the latest episode.

...consequent to incitement by religious bullies like you determined to ensure that only their views count.

And it's not just one deranged man:

"...an alarming spike in death threats and violent acts against abortion providers, clinics and companies that work with them since the undercover videos of Planned Parenthood were released. Two Planned Parenthood clinics have reported arsons, anti-abortion protesters are showing up in large numbers at doctors' homes, and commenters on conservative websites and online forums are calling for the bombings of abortion clinics across the country..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0b7a9633c3f47

And still you deny any culpability.
                        Translation: I'm unable to refute your arguments using logic and reason so I'm going to use this incident to try and guilt-trip you into silence instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          Translation: I'm unable to refute your arguments using logic and reason so I'm going to use this incident to try and guilt-trip you into silence instead.

It’s “logical and reasonable” and correct to refer to embryos and fetus’s as I’ve been doing, whereas it’s illogical and unreasonable and incorrect to refer to embryos and fetuses as “human beings” and/or “babies” as you've been doing.

And the only attempts at inducing “guilt trips” are on the part of those using language such as “murdering millions of innocent babies in the womb” etc, etc, etc which is what we’re getting from you lot.

Comment

It’s “logical and reasonable” and correct to refer to embryos and fetus’s as I’ve been doing, whereas it’s illogical and unreasonable and incorrect to refer to embryos and fetuses as “human beings” and/or “babies” as you've been doing.

And the only attempts at inducing “guilt trips” are on the part of those using language such as “murdering millions of innocent babies in the womb” etc, etc, etc which is what we’re getting from you lot.
                            Because the poor little babies can't speak for themselves - while you and your ilk are advocating for their murder, we're trying to give them a chance at life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But, first, they need life.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Because the poor little babies can't speak for themselves - while you and your ilk are advocating for their murder, we're trying to give them a chance at life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But, first, they need life.
                              If you can’t agree the meaning of words then you are not really having a discussion and you don’t know what your interlocutor’s position really is. The muddying of waters is obviously on your side because you do not put nurses and doctors on death row and you do not advocate for that either. Or do you?
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                If you can’t agree the meaning of words then you are not really having a discussion and you don’t know what your interlocutor’s position really is.
                                Call it a bogtrum or a kizbot! It's still a human life!

The muddying of waters is obviously on your side because you do not put nurses and doctors on death row and you do not advocate for that either. Or do you?
                                Unfortunately, they are killing babies legally - that's the tragedy. And it's asinine to use the argument that I don't advocate for killing doctors for killing babies.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment