Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Making Win 10 Look and Feel like 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Win 10 Look and Feel like 7

OK, no arguments over whether Win 10 is better or worth it or whatever.... we're doing that in other threads.

Let's assume somebody HAS Win 10 - either came with a new computer, or they got conned into "upgrading".

There are a number of shells to make the start menu and other aspects of 10 work more like 7.

Anybody have any actual experience with these, rather than just read about them? Any that you recommend?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

so everyone is in agreement that Window's 7 was the best huh? Funny I *have* Windows 7. But its slow. Since Microsoft seems incapable of actually DOING anything decent, we are getting Mac laptops next year......
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Step 1. Back up personal data.
      Step 2. Reformat drive.
      Step 3. Install Windows 7.
      Step 4. Transfer personal data back over.
      My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
        Step 2. Reformat drive.
        Yeah, uh... no.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
          Step 2. Reformat drive.
          While it probably is the smarter option it isn't exactly what he asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            While it probably is the smarter option it isn't exactly what he asked for.

Yeah, uh.... yeah!

Comment

Windows 7 is a pain. Two things a Visual Basic Script put in the Programs Startup folder refuses to run on cold boot. The day I installed it it worked fine on restart. I thought this was fixed. No. For work I want the capslock key toggled on at boot. [Yes, I can turn it on. But I am not the only person who uses the computer. It is for typing file names in caps. Yes, they still work in lower case.] It is a bug the Windows OS 7 onward.

Just today a revised file had a typo that I needed to fix and replace. Guess what. I deleted the file on the flash drive. But Windows 7 insisted that the old file was still there! Could not replace it using the dos shell. But could from window using the mouse. The file was deleted. Yet Windows 7 showed the delete file was there. [If I had deleted it from a window using the mouse it would have been deleted, but I deleted it on another computer using a dos prompt.]
              Last edited by 37818; 12-07-2015, 09:04 PM.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                Windows 7 is a pain. Two things a Visual Basic Script put in the Programs Startup folder refuses to run on cold boot. The day I installed it it worked fine on restart. I thought this was fixed. No. For work I want the capslock key toggled on at boot. [Yes, I can turn it on. But I am not the only person who uses the computer. It is for typing file names in caps. Yes, they still work in lower case.] It is a bug the Windows OS 7 onward.

Just today a revised file had a typo that I needed to fix and replace. Guess what. I deleted the file on the flash drive. But Windows 7 insisted that the old file was still there! Could not replace it using the dos shell. But could from window using the mouse. The file was deleted. Yet Windows 7 showed the delete file was there. [If I had deleted it from a window using the mouse it would have been deleted, but I deleted it on another computer using a dos prompt.]

Chrawn?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Chrawn?
                  Nope.

Comment

With the launch of Windows 8, HP produced a small application called Quick Start which runs in the taskbar and basically looks just like the Start menu from Windows 7. I like it because it actually lets me easily create desktop shortcuts from Start menu items.

I don't know how hard it would be to find on the HP website, or even if they're still making it available now that Windows 10 is out. But if you can find it it's worth a try.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Chrawn?
                      1) He had something he wanted to run automatically. It worked ok the first time but doesn't anymore.

2) He tried to use a program to delete a file but Windows was convinced he hadn't done it.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment