"Fundy Atheist" defined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fundy Atheist" defined

In another thread, The Stinker asked....

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
    Define "fundy atheist".
    I thought I'd give some of the old timers an opportunity to answer, as you probably already have a definition for this somewhere. Otherwise, perhaps we can hammer* one out.

(*the definition, not the atheist)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Well, where I first saw the term was from J. P. Holding, and this video is his explanation.

Usually anti-intellectual types tend to fall in this category, regardless of religion or lack thereof. I personally dislike using the term "fundy" or "fundamentalist" due to the original meaning and intention of the term. It looks like evangelical is headed down the same path as fundamentalist though with regards to being used as an insult.

Comment

Someone who thinks that Atheism is the way the truth and the light and life of all things. They must preach the glories of atheism humanism and other such and so-called "virtues." Anyone who disagrees with them is automatically 1)Stupid 2)Worthy of verbal destruction and 3) Endangering children and everyone else by poisoning them against religion. It sort of mirrors some of the cultish mindset of so-called "fundamentalist religions" that believe everything else is poison and endangering the mindset of everyone else.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well, lookie there....

thinker fundy atheist.jpg

(from the video)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I
          Aw shucks. The Op has such great promise and then threw it all away

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeenders View Post
            Aw shucks

Comment

In another thread, The Stinker asked....

I thought I'd give some of the old timers an opportunity to answer, as you probably already have a definition for this somewhere. Otherwise, perhaps we can hammer* one out.

I looked it up in Webster: Fundy Atheist: Tassman.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                I looked it up in Webster: Fundy Atheist: Tassman.

Comment

There are a couple other good examples.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

This might explore some of the differences.

tumblr_m1vodbJH791rsa8uko1_500.jpg
                    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

This might explore some of the differences.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11788[/ATTACH]
                      Yeah, I've seen similar graphics from the other perspective. You, sir, are not here to "write books and give lectures". You, an anti-Christian bigot, have come to a Christian website to be a jackass.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen similar graphics from the other perspective. You, sir, are not here to "write books and give lectures". You, an anti-Christian bigot, have come to a Christian website to be a jackass.
                        And you're not an anti-atheist "bigot"?

I'm against religion, all of them, including yours, and I originally got here because someone invited me to a debate, who then never followed up, and so I decided to stick around. Originally I was nice, but then you and other Christians - trying to be Christ-like - began insulting me. And so I insult back and now I'm a "bigot". What a load of crock.

So let me ask you, is everyone who criticizes your religion a bigot? That's what a lot of Muslims are saying to anyone criticizing Islam. How does one criticize Christianity without being a bigot?

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

And you're not an anti-atheist "bigot"?
                          Nope. I'm actually having a wonderful relationship with several atheists, one of whom was my executive admin for 10 years.

I'm against religion, all of them,
                          Yeah, so you're an anti-religion bigot.

Comment

Nope. I'm actually having a wonderful relationship with several atheists, one of whom was my executive admin for 10 years.
                            And I have a wonderful relationship with my mom, who is a Christian, and several friends who are Christian too. So therefore I'm not an anti-Christian bigot. We've proved it.

Yeah, so you're an anti-religion bigot.
                            Well, according to your standards, no, because I have many friends who are in a religion.

Comment

And I have a wonderful relationship with my mom, who is a Christian, and several friends who are Christian too. So therefore I'm not an anti-Christian bigot. We've proved it.
                              But you come to a Christian website to be a jackass - I don't go to atheist websites. You're not here for fellowship or friendly discussion. In FACT, I bet you're here because your mommy spanked you, and you can't be mad at her because, well... she's your MOMMY for goodness sake.... so you're here cloaked in anonymity under the blanket of protection we provide to take it out on Christians because you're a gutless little coward! (that last part was feigned anger and purposely drama queenish - only partially true. ) YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (more drama )

Well, according to your standards, no, because I have many friends who are in a religion.
                              Yet, here you are, being a total jackass on a Christian run website.

Comment